Jose Aldo trumped onetime lightweight king Frankie Edgar on Saturday night in the UFC 156 main event, taking a five-round unanimous decision from “The Answer” to cap the evening’s pay-per-view broadcast from Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Aldo took charge early in the contest, rifling off a piston-like jab and cracking the challenger with whipping low kicks through the bout’s first 10 minutes. However, despite taking a clear-cut beating in the first two rounds, the resilient Edgar held true to form and gained some ground in the third frame by stepping inside of the champion’s kicking range and exchanging on the inside. The championship rounds also proved quite competitive, though Edgar arguably got the better of Aldo in the final 10 minutes.

In spite of Edgar’s considerable efforts, Aldo remained UFC featherweight champion when the smoke cleared, earning scores of 49-46 (twice) and 48-47. Though the bout turned into a back-and-forth affair during its final 15 minutes, the champion said he never doubted the fight’s outcome.

“My cornermen were talking to me all the time, and they were explaining the situation round-by-round. I was pretty confident about the results,” Aldo told Fox Sports after his victory. “I believe I won every round. In the fourth round, he was dominant for about a minute when he threw me down and caught my back, but after that, I came back to a dominant position and controlled the center of the ring. I was very comfortable, so I thought I won every round.”

Though Aldo admitted that Edgar put forth a strong effort, “Scarface” was not ready to name “The Answer” his toughest opponent to date.

“As a former champion, of course he was a very tough opponent, but I’ve also had very tough fights in the past. I can’t rate him as my toughest opponent, because a lot of my fights in the past were also very tough,” said Aldo. “I felt that he was a little bit slower [than me], and I didn’t feel like he had very much punching power. I believe he felt it a little bit from dropping down in weight.”

Though Aldo has gone undefeated in 12 featherweight appearances with UFC parent company Zuffa, it is no secret that making 145 pounds has always been a stretch for the hard-hitting Brazilian. As a result, Aldo said that he will inevitably move up to lightweight. However, the champion also believes that decision is not his to make, just as he will not choose his next featherweight title challenger.

“I think that one day, I will go up to 155 [pounds], but that is not up to me. That’s my coaches’ decision, so [I will go] whenever they decide it’s right to go to lightweight,” said Aldo. “Joe Silva is a great matchmaker, and he will find the right opponent for me. Whoever comes my way, I will have great respect for [him], and we will have a great fight. I like to fight against the best fighters. I train hard, and I train a lot, because I’m a professional fighter. Whoever comes my way, I will be ready to fight.”

Jeremy Stephens ready to 'put the pain' on Frankie Edgar at UFC 205

NEW YORK – Jeremy Stephens isn’t the kind of guy who watches tape, thinks about the future or really spends any time on anything beyond getting in the cage and roughing up the man standing across the read news >>

UFC 205 results: Liz Carmouche tops Katlyn Chookagian by split call in historic New York City opener

NEW YORK – Onetime women’s bantamweight title challenger Liz Carmouche survived a brutal head kick from Katlyn Chookagian to earn a split decision. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 205 video: How did this Jeremy Stephens kick not finish Frankie Edgar?

Frankie Edgar has been in the UFC octagon for more than six hours of fight time in his career and has never been finished. He showcased that trademark durability against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205.Fi read news >>

UFC 205 results: Frankie Edgar survives head kick to outduel Jeremy Stephens in thriller

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar survived a head kick and near knockout at the hands of Jeremy Stephens, and still he won every round according to two of the three judges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Takes the Fight from Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar put himself back in the thick of title talk, getting the better of Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Frankie Edgar Doesn't Remember the Possible Illegal Knee (UFC 205 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar talks to the press after his victory over Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 in New York City. read news >>

Frankie Edgar Decisions Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the highlights of the UFC 205 featherweight fight between Frankie Edgar and Jeremy Stephens that took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. read news >>

UFC 205 winner Frankie Edgar's future may be at 135 – unless Conor McGregor is game

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar fought a very Frankie Edgar-type fight on Saturday UFC 205, and he survived a scare and came back to take a clear unanimous-decision victory. Could bantamweight be next?Filed read news >>

UFC Unfiltered Episode 46: Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson

Cub Swanson calls the show to talk about his UFC 206 fight against The Korean Superboy, Dooho Choi. Later, former Lightweight champion Frankie Edgar talks to Jim and Matt about his big win over Jerem read news >>