Jose Aldo trumped onetime lightweight king Frankie Edgar on Saturday night in the UFC 156 main event, taking a five-round unanimous decision from “The Answer” to cap the evening’s pay-per-view broadcast from Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Aldo took charge early in the contest, rifling off a piston-like jab and cracking the challenger with whipping low kicks through the bout’s first 10 minutes. However, despite taking a clear-cut beating in the first two rounds, the resilient Edgar held true to form and gained some ground in the third frame by stepping inside of the champion’s kicking range and exchanging on the inside. The championship rounds also proved quite competitive, though Edgar arguably got the better of Aldo in the final 10 minutes.

In spite of Edgar’s considerable efforts, Aldo remained UFC featherweight champion when the smoke cleared, earning scores of 49-46 (twice) and 48-47. Though the bout turned into a back-and-forth affair during its final 15 minutes, the champion said he never doubted the fight’s outcome.

“My cornermen were talking to me all the time, and they were explaining the situation round-by-round. I was pretty confident about the results,” Aldo told Fox Sports after his victory. “I believe I won every round. In the fourth round, he was dominant for about a minute when he threw me down and caught my back, but after that, I came back to a dominant position and controlled the center of the ring. I was very comfortable, so I thought I won every round.”

Though Aldo admitted that Edgar put forth a strong effort, “Scarface” was not ready to name “The Answer” his toughest opponent to date.

“As a former champion, of course he was a very tough opponent, but I’ve also had very tough fights in the past. I can’t rate him as my toughest opponent, because a lot of my fights in the past were also very tough,” said Aldo. “I felt that he was a little bit slower [than me], and I didn’t feel like he had very much punching power. I believe he felt it a little bit from dropping down in weight.”

Though Aldo has gone undefeated in 12 featherweight appearances with UFC parent company Zuffa, it is no secret that making 145 pounds has always been a stretch for the hard-hitting Brazilian. As a result, Aldo said that he will inevitably move up to lightweight. However, the champion also believes that decision is not his to make, just as he will not choose his next featherweight title challenger.

“I think that one day, I will go up to 155 [pounds], but that is not up to me. That’s my coaches’ decision, so [I will go] whenever they decide it’s right to go to lightweight,” said Aldo. “Joe Silva is a great matchmaker, and he will find the right opponent for me. Whoever comes my way, I will have great respect for [him], and we will have a great fight. I like to fight against the best fighters. I train hard, and I train a lot, because I’m a professional fighter. Whoever comes my way, I will be ready to fight.”

UFC 200 Preview: Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar Interim Featherweight Title Fight

Despite all of the high profile bouts on the UFC 200 fight card, few promise the fireworks of Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar. read news >>

UFC 200 Fight Week Conference Call Replay: Dos Anjos vs. Alvarez and Aldo vs. Edgar

Rafael dos Anjos and Eddie Alvarez, as well as Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar fielded questions from the media on Tuesday. Listen in for all they had to say. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Jose Aldo – Focused and Determined

Before he meets Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 for the interim featherweight title, hear from the very focused and determined former champion Jose Aldo. read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar 2: The Complete Breakdown

In the extended absence of Conor McGregor, who seems more interested in chasing Nate Diaz and other fights at 155 or 170 pounds than defending his featherweight crown, Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar wil read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar 2: The Complete Breakdown

UFC 200 Odds Preview: Aldo vs. Edgar Betting Lines, Analysis, Trends

The last time Frankie Edgar (20-4-1) squared off with Jose Aldo (25-2), they fought for the featherweight championship more than three years ago at UFC 156 in Las Vegas. They will meet again on Satur read news >>

Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar: This Fight is for the Next Champion (UFC 200 Video)

Although Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar battle for the interim featherweight belt at UFC 200, they believe the company is coming to a crossroads with Conor McGregor. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: It’s Time Preview — Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar

Former champions Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar set their sights on the interim featherweight belt. Go inside their gyms, lives and minds as the clock ticks down. read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Jose Aldo is once again a UFC champion after a unanimous-decision win over Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 to win the interim UFC Featherweight Championship on Saturday. Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports tweeted t read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Jose Aldo Decisions Frankie Edgar to Take Interim Title

Former champions Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar fought for the interim featherweight title at UFC 200 on Saturday, and the result was the same as their first fight. read news >>