Jose Aldo trumped onetime lightweight king Frankie Edgar on Saturday night in the UFC 156 main event, taking a five-round unanimous decision from “The Answer” to cap the evening’s pay-per-view broadcast from Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Aldo took charge early in the contest, rifling off a piston-like jab and cracking the challenger with whipping low kicks through the bout’s first 10 minutes. However, despite taking a clear-cut beating in the first two rounds, the resilient Edgar held true to form and gained some ground in the third frame by stepping inside of the champion’s kicking range and exchanging on the inside. The championship rounds also proved quite competitive, though Edgar arguably got the better of Aldo in the final 10 minutes.

In spite of Edgar’s considerable efforts, Aldo remained UFC featherweight champion when the smoke cleared, earning scores of 49-46 (twice) and 48-47. Though the bout turned into a back-and-forth affair during its final 15 minutes, the champion said he never doubted the fight’s outcome.

“My cornermen were talking to me all the time, and they were explaining the situation round-by-round. I was pretty confident about the results,” Aldo told Fox Sports after his victory. “I believe I won every round. In the fourth round, he was dominant for about a minute when he threw me down and caught my back, but after that, I came back to a dominant position and controlled the center of the ring. I was very comfortable, so I thought I won every round.”

Though Aldo admitted that Edgar put forth a strong effort, “Scarface” was not ready to name “The Answer” his toughest opponent to date.

“As a former champion, of course he was a very tough opponent, but I’ve also had very tough fights in the past. I can’t rate him as my toughest opponent, because a lot of my fights in the past were also very tough,” said Aldo. “I felt that he was a little bit slower [than me], and I didn’t feel like he had very much punching power. I believe he felt it a little bit from dropping down in weight.”

Though Aldo has gone undefeated in 12 featherweight appearances with UFC parent company Zuffa, it is no secret that making 145 pounds has always been a stretch for the hard-hitting Brazilian. As a result, Aldo said that he will inevitably move up to lightweight. However, the champion also believes that decision is not his to make, just as he will not choose his next featherweight title challenger.

“I think that one day, I will go up to 155 [pounds], but that is not up to me. That’s my coaches’ decision, so [I will go] whenever they decide it’s right to go to lightweight,” said Aldo. “Joe Silva is a great matchmaker, and he will find the right opponent for me. Whoever comes my way, I will have great respect for [him], and we will have a great fight. I like to fight against the best fighters. I train hard, and I train a lot, because I’m a professional fighter. Whoever comes my way, I will be ready to fight.”

Coach Andre Pederneiras details Jose Aldo's 155-pound title plans, says UFC was on board

Jose Aldo has always been very clear about his intentions of avenging his loss to Conor McGregor – in whatever division that may be. But as he prepares to follow that journey, he doesn't quite unders read news >>

UFC 207: On Fight Night, Cody Garbrandt Finds the Answer to Dominick Cruz's Talk

Dominick Cruz thought he had Cody Garbrandt beat before the two men even stepped in the cage at UFC 207. Stunningly, however, it was Garbrandt who turned out to have all the answers once the talking read news >>

New UFC Champ Cody Garbrandt Gets It with Call-Outs of Jose Aldo, Conor McGregor

Ten days ago, Cody Garbrandt looked like a lost cause. Garbrandt had been so verbally destroyed by UFC men’s bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz leading up to their title bout at UFC 207 that many sp read news >>

Manager explains why Max Holloway isn't fighting Jose Aldo at UFC 208

Max Holloway and Jose Aldo won’t be fighting to unify the UFC featherweight championship at UFC 208. That much is clear.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Max Holloway Comments on Jose Aldo, Not Fighting at UFC 208

UFC fighter Max Holloway saw Jose Aldo's Tuesday interview with Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting and wasn't happy about it. Aldo said Holloway knew they were supposed to fight at UFC 208 in Brooklyn, Ne read news >>

Jose Aldo and Max Holloway Butt Heads Over Nixing of UFC 208 Bout | MMAWeekly.com

Jose Aldo and Max Holloway are butting heads over why they won't be unifying their featherweight titles at UFC 208 in Brooklyn. read news >>

Max Holloway will 'defend the interim title 10 times' if champ Jose Aldo isn't available

UFC interim featherweight champion Max Holloway plans to stay busy if he can’t get a title-unifier with primary titleholder Jose Aldo.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joe Rogan: UFC Needs Big, Relevant Fights... How About Nate Diaz vs. Jose Aldo? | MMAWeekly.com

Although Joe Rogan was initially baffled by a proposed interim lightweight title fight, he realizes that the UFC is currently hurting for big fights. read news >>

Jose Aldo's Next Fight May Be for a UFC Lightweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

With the proposed featherweight championship unification bout out of consideration for UFC 208, could we see Jose Aldo in an interim lightweight title fight? read news >>

Cris Cyborg Flagged for UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino on Thursday was flagged by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency for a potential UFC Anti-Doping Policy violation. read news >>