jon-jones-at-greg-jacksons

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones said he respects Chuck Liddell and coach John Hackleman, but he’s forging his own road in MMA.

“I’m not Chuck Liddell,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I’m just me. I’m shamelessly me. I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to do in my career, and I don’t try to compare myself to guys like Chuck or any champion.

“I figure as long as I’m breaking records and doing my part, that’s all that matters.”

Right now, Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) is well into record territory. He long ago eclipsed Liddell’s mark of four consecutive title defenses in the UFC’s marquee 205-pound division, and later this month at UFC 172, he will attempt to extend his reign to seven when he meets Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

UFC 172 takes place April 26 at Baltimore’s Baltimore Arena. The event’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Jones’ fight with Texeira has put him in the crosshairs of Hackleman, who worked with Teixeria and Liddell at The Pit in Northern California. The coach implied the current champ doesn’t share Liddell’s fighting spirit and isn’t as beloved by UFC fans as the now-retired fighter.

While Hackleman didn’t directly accuse Jones of overlooking Teixeira, he said such an attitude is another reason why the champ isn’t popular.

Jones, a top pay-per-view draw, said he read Hackleman’s comments and thinks the coach got ahead of himself.

“I think he thought that I was maybe trying to offend his program, or Glover, which I wasn’t,” he said. “I think the whole thing was based on me looking over Glover, something that I’m not doing.

“I’m not going to sit here and insult John. I respect him a lot as a coach; I actually think he’s one of the best in the business. That’s why I’m training so hard for this fight – because I respect Glover and his coach.”

Jones also deflected less-than-nice comments recently made about him by Phil Davis, who recently repeated a claim that the champ would withdraw from UFC 172, opening a spot for an interim title fight with Teixeira.

Davis is scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson before Jones vs. Teixeira headlines the event, but he believes he may get promoted to headliner status.

“Phil, he has his job to do,” Jones said. “His job is to try and get a title shot, and he figures if he can stir up enough controversy and insult me enough that that will get him closer to the title shot.

“Maybe it’s working – we’re definitely talking about him more than usual. Good for him. Obviously, I’ll be here. My goal is to be in the No. 1 spot when he gets to me, and everything will take care of itself in time.”

Until then, Jones is sure he’ll field more trash talk from a list of fighters looking to take his title.

Asked whether he differentiated between Davis and Daniel Cormier, with whom he shares a long-simmering rivalry, Jones said all of the callouts and criticisms are part of a trend.

“One thing I’ve realized is I’m getting chirped by guys who aren’t actually contracted to fight me,” he said. “I think when you know your challenge is coming up, it can be a little more nerveracking than sitting on the sidelines and talking about what you would do. Me knowing this, I’m just going to focus on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself in the future.”

For the latest on UFC 172, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jon Jones Set to Meet Dan Henderson Grappling Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones may be under a one-year suspension that won’t end until July of 2017, but he does have his next competition tentatively scheduled. read news >>

UFC's Jon Jones 'very happy I have been cleared in any wrongdoing'

Interim UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones declared a victory of sorts despite a one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) stemming from his UFC 200 drug-test failure. Filed und read news >>

Is Jon Jones a cheater? No, but what he is can't be easily cured

Jon Jones was given a one-year suspension by USADA, but it’s arbitration panel specifically stated that it did not believe he was “a drug cheat.” So then what is he? And is it better or worse, as far read news >>

UFC strips Jon Jones of interim light heavyweight title on heels of one-year suspension

With Jon Jones sidelined by suspension once again, the UFC has stripped the longtime light heavyweight kingpin of his interim championship.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Stripped of UFC Light Heavyweight Title After USADA Suspension

The UFC has stripped former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones of his title following his year-long suspension by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), according to Brett Okamoto of ESPN.co read news >>

Jon Jones Stripped of UFC Title for a Second Time | MMAWeekly.com

In the wake of receiving a one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, Jon Jones has been stripped of the interim UFC light heavyweight championship. read news >>

Frankie Edgar responds to Conor McGregor's criticism he wasn't good enough to headline UFC 205

NEW YORK – Conor McGregor recently said he would have been fighting Frankie Edgar in the UFC 205 headliner had Edgar not lost to Jose Aldo at UFC 200 earlier this year. “The Answer” heard those comme read news >>

UFC boss Dana White: 'I would never take the risk of headlining a show with Jon Jones again'

UFC President Dana White appears to have lost faith in former UFC champion Jon Jones following his one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Association (USADA) for a failed drug test prior to UF read news >>

Chael Sonnen claims Mackenzie Dern ducked Miesha Tate, manager responds

Chael Sonnen on Monday said the meeting between former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Miesha Tate and Jessica Eye was not the originally planned matchup for next month’s Submission Underground 2.File read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100 post-fight facts: Ryan Bader inches closer to Jon Jones' record

The second half of Saturday’s UFC doubleheader unfolded in Brazil when UFC Fight Night 100 took place at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo. Check out all of the post-event facts from the FS1-televise read news >>