Jon Jones responds to Hackleman, says Davis, others trying to talk way into title shot

• submit to reddit

jon-jones-at-greg-jacksons

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones said he respects Chuck Liddell and coach John Hackleman, but he’s forging his own road in MMA.

“I’m not Chuck Liddell,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I’m just me. I’m shamelessly me. I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to do in my career, and I don’t try to compare myself to guys like Chuck or any champion.

“I figure as long as I’m breaking records and doing my part, that’s all that matters.”

Right now, Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) is well into record territory. He long ago eclipsed Liddell’s mark of four consecutive title defenses in the UFC’s marquee 205-pound division, and later this month at UFC 172, he will attempt to extend his reign to seven when he meets Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

UFC 172 takes place April 26 at Baltimore’s Baltimore Arena. The event’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Jones’ fight with Texeira has put him in the crosshairs of Hackleman, who worked with Teixeria and Liddell at The Pit in Northern California. The coach implied the current champ doesn’t share Liddell’s fighting spirit and isn’t as beloved by UFC fans as the now-retired fighter.

While Hackleman didn’t directly accuse Jones of overlooking Teixeira, he said such an attitude is another reason why the champ isn’t popular.

Jones, a top pay-per-view draw, said he read Hackleman’s comments and thinks the coach got ahead of himself.

“I think he thought that I was maybe trying to offend his program, or Glover, which I wasn’t,” he said. “I think the whole thing was based on me looking over Glover, something that I’m not doing.

“I’m not going to sit here and insult John. I respect him a lot as a coach; I actually think he’s one of the best in the business. That’s why I’m training so hard for this fight – because I respect Glover and his coach.”

Jones also deflected less-than-nice comments recently made about him by Phil Davis, who recently repeated a claim that the champ would withdraw from UFC 172, opening a spot for an interim title fight with Teixeira.

Davis is scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson before Jones vs. Teixeira headlines the event, but he believes he may get promoted to headliner status.

“Phil, he has his job to do,” Jones said. “His job is to try and get a title shot, and he figures if he can stir up enough controversy and insult me enough that that will get him closer to the title shot.

“Maybe it’s working – we’re definitely talking about him more than usual. Good for him. Obviously, I’ll be here. My goal is to be in the No. 1 spot when he gets to me, and everything will take care of itself in time.”

Until then, Jones is sure he’ll field more trash talk from a list of fighters looking to take his title.

Asked whether he differentiated between Davis and Daniel Cormier, with whom he shares a long-simmering rivalry, Jones said all of the callouts and criticisms are part of a trend.

“One thing I’ve realized is I’m getting chirped by guys who aren’t actually contracted to fight me,” he said. “I think when you know your challenge is coming up, it can be a little more nerveracking than sitting on the sidelines and talking about what you would do. Me knowing this, I’m just going to focus on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself in the future.”

For the latest on UFC 172, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jon Jones talented, but two-faced? "Stone Cold" criticism -- and praise -- from perhaps the greatest WWE superstar of all time. World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) legend "Stone Cold" Steve Austin -- an avid mixed martial arts (MMA) fan -- was a recent in-studio guest on "The MMA Hour" to chat about the latest happenings in the sport, sharing perspective from his entertainment side of the fence. One of the many topics he touched on was the level of star-power on the current Ultimate Fighting Cha more

Steve Austin stopped by the the MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani recently to talk about MMA and just about everything else under the sun. He also had a few less than kind words for light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. more

Steve Austin, one of the biggest stars in pro wrestling history, not so secretly doubles as an MMA aficionado, and gives his thoughts on every UFC champion, as well as what he sees as the realities of the pro sports world in 2014 as it relates to Chael Sonnen. Within the UFC, when the question comes up regarding what celebrity outside the sport itself is the most knowledgeable, a name that comes up high on most lists is retired pro wrestler turned reality show personality and podcast host Steve more

See you in "Sin City." Canada? Pfffft. Sweden? As if. The Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson light heavyweight championship rematch, recently booked for the upcoming UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) event on Sept. 27, 2014, now has a place to call home, according to promotion president Dana White. Well, sorta. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on Friday (July 4) announced the event would be held in Las Vegas, Nevada, but has yet to reveal an official venue, though both MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay ar more

Sorry Torontonians, Las Vegas is the place to be for one of the biggest fights of the year. The first epic clash between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson took place in Toronto, Ontario, and the rematch was supposed to be in the same city. Those plans have been nixed, and on a special edition of UFC Tonight, Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed that UFC 178 will be in Las Vegas on 9/27. Believe it or not, it's the first time that Jones has fought in Vegas as a champion, although they tried to accomplish more

How do you know when a friend or training partner has a problem? Sometimes you don't, until they get exposed by a mutual acquaintance. Or in this case, by a coach, as Greg Jackson has revealed Tim Kennedy's shocking obsession with ballet dancing teddy bears -- upward of 100 or more -- forcing UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones to react. Surprisingly, "Bones" doesn't seem all that shocked by the revelation. Well, if anything, we at least know how Kennedy got so good at hugging. Be afraid, Y more

Because fighting a bigger man like "Bones" would provide Weidman more of a test than the much smaller Hendricks. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight titleholder Johny Hendricks recently took the opportunity to put his boss, Dana White, on the spot, asking for a potential "super fight" against middleweight champion Chris Weidman at some point in the future. The UFC president, however, was having none of it, saying that "Bigg Rigg" still had a long road ahead of him in a stacked 170- more

"Money" continues to be king of the combat sports world. Floyd Mayweather Jr. piled on the hardware last night (July 16, 2014) as the pound-for-pound king of boxing took home the 2014 ESPY Award for "Fighter of the Year," beating out fellow pugilists Manny Pacquiao, Andrew Ward, and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) titleholders Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey. Mayweather 1, Rousey 0. Floyd began another successful (and highly-lucrative) year by beating Marcos Maidana in a very entertaining fight more

Surging UFC featherweight contender Conor McGregor has a chance to prove he's truly an elite talent at UFC 178 when he squares off with perennial contender Dustin Poirier. Although the event is headlined by a long-awaited light heavyweight championship rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson, "The Notorious" warns the 205-pound titleholder he's going to make his paycheck for the event a little lighter than usual. Tell Jon I'm taking a cut of his PPV. — Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA more