jon-jones-at-greg-jacksons

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones said he respects Chuck Liddell and coach John Hackleman, but he’s forging his own road in MMA.

“I’m not Chuck Liddell,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I’m just me. I’m shamelessly me. I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to do in my career, and I don’t try to compare myself to guys like Chuck or any champion.

“I figure as long as I’m breaking records and doing my part, that’s all that matters.”

Right now, Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) is well into record territory. He long ago eclipsed Liddell’s mark of four consecutive title defenses in the UFC’s marquee 205-pound division, and later this month at UFC 172, he will attempt to extend his reign to seven when he meets Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

UFC 172 takes place April 26 at Baltimore’s Baltimore Arena. The event’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Jones’ fight with Texeira has put him in the crosshairs of Hackleman, who worked with Teixeria and Liddell at The Pit in Northern California. The coach implied the current champ doesn’t share Liddell’s fighting spirit and isn’t as beloved by UFC fans as the now-retired fighter.

While Hackleman didn’t directly accuse Jones of overlooking Teixeira, he said such an attitude is another reason why the champ isn’t popular.

Jones, a top pay-per-view draw, said he read Hackleman’s comments and thinks the coach got ahead of himself.

“I think he thought that I was maybe trying to offend his program, or Glover, which I wasn’t,” he said. “I think the whole thing was based on me looking over Glover, something that I’m not doing.

“I’m not going to sit here and insult John. I respect him a lot as a coach; I actually think he’s one of the best in the business. That’s why I’m training so hard for this fight – because I respect Glover and his coach.”

Jones also deflected less-than-nice comments recently made about him by Phil Davis, who recently repeated a claim that the champ would withdraw from UFC 172, opening a spot for an interim title fight with Teixeira.

Davis is scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson before Jones vs. Teixeira headlines the event, but he believes he may get promoted to headliner status.

“Phil, he has his job to do,” Jones said. “His job is to try and get a title shot, and he figures if he can stir up enough controversy and insult me enough that that will get him closer to the title shot.

“Maybe it’s working – we’re definitely talking about him more than usual. Good for him. Obviously, I’ll be here. My goal is to be in the No. 1 spot when he gets to me, and everything will take care of itself in time.”

Until then, Jones is sure he’ll field more trash talk from a list of fighters looking to take his title.

Asked whether he differentiated between Davis and Daniel Cormier, with whom he shares a long-simmering rivalry, Jones said all of the callouts and criticisms are part of a trend.

“One thing I’ve realized is I’m getting chirped by guys who aren’t actually contracted to fight me,” he said. “I think when you know your challenge is coming up, it can be a little more nerveracking than sitting on the sidelines and talking about what you would do. Me knowing this, I’m just going to focus on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself in the future.”

For the latest on UFC 172, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Luke Rockhold responds to Michael Bisping’s knock on Chris Weidman

MEXICO CITY – Not surprisingly, UFC middleweight contender Luke Rockhold doesn’t see eye to eye with Michael Bisping’s assessment of Chris Weidman’s title reign.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Xplode Fight Series owner responds to 'Soccer Mom' KO viral video aired on ESPN

An Xplode Fight Series KO went viral on the internet and made its way to ESPN. Faced with criticism, XFS owner Gregg Sharp responds to the "haters". Readers of Bloody Elbow may be familiar with Xplod read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson: You can only consider yourself a real champ if you beat Jon Jones

Alexander Gustafsson might be getting the next shot at light heavyweight gold, but he still believes you're not the best unless you defeat disgraced former champion Jon Jones. Alexander Gustafsson is read news >>

Sorry Daniel Cormier, but Alexander Gustafsson believes you're not a real UFC champion until you beat Jon Jones

Embrace the asterisk! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight No. 1 contender, Alexander Gustafsson, is once again fighting for the title, even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense read news >>

How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Ken Shamrock responds to steroid allegations

The week's most interesting bits from the MMA and UFC twitter world. A few updates on what's been going on in the MMA & UFC Twitterverse -- There's a ton of tweets below, but first, don't forget to f read news >>

Morning Report: Alexander Gustafsson calls Jon Jones 'pound-for-pound best' and that you can 'only consider yourself a r

Alexander Gustafsson has a shot at becoming a UFC champion later this year, but not without an asterisk. With former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones in exile, Gustafsson will serve as the first read news >>

Cain Velasquez responds to PED accusations from Ben Rothwell: You want to test me right now?

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez may no longer be the dominant force he is at 265 pounds, once the promotion's advanced drug testing policy -- backed by USADA read news >>

There's a Possibility Jon Jones Never Fights Again, According to Head Coach

Usually when you see "Jon Jones" and "coach" in the same sentence, you think Greg Jackson. But Jackson is one half of the head coaching team at the world-renowned gym down in Albuquerque, New Mexico. read news >>

Coach uncertain about Jones’ future: Jones is getting help for himself; fighting is secondary

Coach Mike Winkeljohn remains uncertain whether former champion Jon Jones will return to MMA. read news >>

Coach: Jon Jones back in the gym helping his team, but may never fight in UFC again

It's been just over a month since former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was involved in a hit-and-run car accident, one that sent a pregnant woman to the ho read news >>