jon-jones-at-greg-jacksons

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones said he respects Chuck Liddell and coach John Hackleman, but he’s forging his own road in MMA.

“I’m not Chuck Liddell,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I’m just me. I’m shamelessly me. I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to do in my career, and I don’t try to compare myself to guys like Chuck or any champion.

“I figure as long as I’m breaking records and doing my part, that’s all that matters.”

Right now, Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) is well into record territory. He long ago eclipsed Liddell’s mark of four consecutive title defenses in the UFC’s marquee 205-pound division, and later this month at UFC 172, he will attempt to extend his reign to seven when he meets Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

UFC 172 takes place April 26 at Baltimore’s Baltimore Arena. The event’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Jones’ fight with Texeira has put him in the crosshairs of Hackleman, who worked with Teixeria and Liddell at The Pit in Northern California. The coach implied the current champ doesn’t share Liddell’s fighting spirit and isn’t as beloved by UFC fans as the now-retired fighter.

While Hackleman didn’t directly accuse Jones of overlooking Teixeira, he said such an attitude is another reason why the champ isn’t popular.

Jones, a top pay-per-view draw, said he read Hackleman’s comments and thinks the coach got ahead of himself.

“I think he thought that I was maybe trying to offend his program, or Glover, which I wasn’t,” he said. “I think the whole thing was based on me looking over Glover, something that I’m not doing.

“I’m not going to sit here and insult John. I respect him a lot as a coach; I actually think he’s one of the best in the business. That’s why I’m training so hard for this fight – because I respect Glover and his coach.”

Jones also deflected less-than-nice comments recently made about him by Phil Davis, who recently repeated a claim that the champ would withdraw from UFC 172, opening a spot for an interim title fight with Teixeira.

Davis is scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson before Jones vs. Teixeira headlines the event, but he believes he may get promoted to headliner status.

“Phil, he has his job to do,” Jones said. “His job is to try and get a title shot, and he figures if he can stir up enough controversy and insult me enough that that will get him closer to the title shot.

“Maybe it’s working – we’re definitely talking about him more than usual. Good for him. Obviously, I’ll be here. My goal is to be in the No. 1 spot when he gets to me, and everything will take care of itself in time.”

Until then, Jones is sure he’ll field more trash talk from a list of fighters looking to take his title.

Asked whether he differentiated between Davis and Daniel Cormier, with whom he shares a long-simmering rivalry, Jones said all of the callouts and criticisms are part of a trend.

“One thing I’ve realized is I’m getting chirped by guys who aren’t actually contracted to fight me,” he said. “I think when you know your challenge is coming up, it can be a little more nerveracking than sitting on the sidelines and talking about what you would do. Me knowing this, I’m just going to focus on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself in the future.”

For the latest on UFC 172, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC 189: Conor McGregor walking the road of Jon Jones and Georges St. Pierre

At UFC 189, Conor McGregor takes on Chad Mendes. See what McGregor has in common with all time greats Jon Jones and Georges St. Pierre in this UFC 189 fight preview. MMA is still a relatively young s read news >>

Jon Jones back to training, had to clean the mats on the first day

Jon Jones' teammate Igor Araujo says the former UFC champion is training every day again. Two months ago, the UFC has stripped their light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones of his title. Since then, arg read news >>

Training partner: Jon Jones back to training and acting 'positive'

The biggest fight of Jon Jones' life may still be ahead, but there are glimpses and signs that the former UFC Light Heavyweight champion is taking it in stride. Two weeks ago a photograph appeared on read news >>

Paulo Filho admits use of cocaine during WEC career, says Jon Jones will use it again

Former PRIDE star and WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho once was one of the best fighters in the world, but never really achieved what his teammates expected him to. For years, training partners read news >>

Teammate: Jon Jones ‘being positive’, back to training in Albuquerque

Jon Jones’ hit-and-run case might be taken to a grand jury, but the former UFC light heavyweight champion is "being positive" about the entire situation. The UFC star, who got stripped of the title a read news >>

After insults, Paul Daley responds to Josh Koscheck, takes high road

Paul Daley agrees with rival Josh Koscheck on at least one point: Their potential rematch could do big business with their new home, Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Former middleweight champion and ex-cokehead predicts Jon Jones will go back on the blow

Hey, remember when Jane Doe was living with C.L. Smooth and despite her brief stint in rehab, started sniffing again? The same thing is going to happen to former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) read news >>

Fabricio Werdum wants Jon Jones reinstated for UFC 'super fight'

And that's just fine with "Bones." After capturing the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight title by submitting Cain Velasquez at UFC 188 a few weeks back (see it again here), Fabricio We read news >>

Paulo Filho talks cocaine addiction, believes Jon Jones will go back to it 'sooner or later'

Former WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho talks about how his substance abuse affected his career. He also believes Jon Jones will have a relapse. Paulo Filho was one of the most promising middlew read news >>

UFC champ Fabricio Werdum suggests 'super fight' with returning Jon Jones

Jon Jones has long discussed a potential move to heavyweight. If and when the former champion makes a return to the cage, UFC champ Fabricio Werdum wants him to make the jump for a “super fight.”File read news >>