ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones said he respects Chuck Liddell and coach John Hackleman, but he’s forging his own road in MMA.

“I’m not Chuck Liddell,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I’m just me. I’m shamelessly me. I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to do in my career, and I don’t try to compare myself to guys like Chuck or any champion.

“I figure as long as I’m breaking records and doing my part, that’s all that matters.”

Right now, Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) is well into record territory. He long ago eclipsed Liddell’s mark of four consecutive title defenses in the UFC’s marquee 205-pound division, and later this month at UFC 172, he will attempt to extend his reign to seven when he meets Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

UFC 172 takes place April 26 at Baltimore’s Baltimore Arena. The event’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Jones’ fight with Texeira has put him in the crosshairs of Hackleman, who worked with Teixeria and Liddell at The Pit in Northern California. The coach implied the current champ doesn’t share Liddell’s fighting spirit and isn’t as beloved by UFC fans as the now-retired fighter.

While Hackleman didn’t directly accuse Jones of overlooking Teixeira, he said such an attitude is another reason why the champ isn’t popular.

Jones, a top pay-per-view draw, said he read Hackleman’s comments and thinks the coach got ahead of himself.

“I think he thought that I was maybe trying to offend his program, or Glover, which I wasn’t,” he said. “I think the whole thing was based on me looking over Glover, something that I’m not doing.

“I’m not going to sit here and insult John. I respect him a lot as a coach; I actually think he’s one of the best in the business. That’s why I’m training so hard for this fight – because I respect Glover and his coach.”

Jones also deflected less-than-nice comments recently made about him by Phil Davis, who recently repeated a claim that the champ would withdraw from UFC 172, opening a spot for an interim title fight with Teixeira.

Davis is scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson before Jones vs. Teixeira headlines the event, but he believes he may get promoted to headliner status.

“Phil, he has his job to do,” Jones said. “His job is to try and get a title shot, and he figures if he can stir up enough controversy and insult me enough that that will get him closer to the title shot.

“Maybe it’s working – we’re definitely talking about him more than usual. Good for him. Obviously, I’ll be here. My goal is to be in the No. 1 spot when he gets to me, and everything will take care of itself in time.”

Until then, Jones is sure he’ll field more trash talk from a list of fighters looking to take his title.

Asked whether he differentiated between Davis and Daniel Cormier, with whom he shares a long-simmering rivalry, Jones said all of the callouts and criticisms are part of a trend.

“One thing I’ve realized is I’m getting chirped by guys who aren’t actually contracted to fight me,” he said. “I think when you know your challenge is coming up, it can be a little more nerveracking than sitting on the sidelines and talking about what you would do. Me knowing this, I’m just going to focus on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself in the future.”

For the latest on UFC 172, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jon Jones avoids Grand Jury, could strike plea deal for hit-and-run

Jon Jones' legal time could be angling for a plea deal for his alleged hit-and-run in April. Things are moving along with Jon Jones' felony hit-and-run case. Documents obtained by rev read news >>

WSOF champ David Branch talks Teddy Holder fight, offers Jon Jones advice

The reigning World Series of Fighting (WSOF) middleweight champion talked to Mike Straka of MMA Noise about fighting Teddy Holder on September 18th for the inaugural light heavyweight title. David Br read news >>

Jon Jones update: Judge assigned as 'Bones' leans toward plea deal for hit-and-run

Sounds like Jon Jones may have gotten an offer he can't refuse. The former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight titleholder -- suspended indefinitely in the wake of last April's cha read news >>

Jon Jones legal team could be positioning for plea deal in felony hit-and-run case

There might be movement in the Jon Jones case very soon. The former UFC champion's legal team could be positioning him for a plea deal in Bernalillo County Second Judicial District Court in his felon read news >>

Bryan Caraway responds to new fight-ducking allegations

The list of bantamweights who claim Bryan Caraway doesn't want to fight them keeps on growing. Last week, former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber said Caraway, best known as the boyfriend of w read news >>

Phil Davis hopes former UFC rival Jon Jones 'gets cleaned up and back to action'

Phil Davis has said plenty about former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones over the years, and not much of it has been positive. But that’s not currently the case.Filed under: Bellator, News, U read news >>

Dana White Responds to Nick Diaz's Suspension

UFC President Dana White stated Tuesday that his opinion about Nick Diaz's suspension doesn't matter because it doesn't carry any weight with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Mike Bohn and John read news >>

Video - Nick Diaz responds to 5 year suspension: 'I'm the only fighter who never used steroids'

UFC fighter Nick Diaz issued a video on Twitter responding to the Nevada Athletic Commission's decision to suspend him for five years for failing a drug test for marijuana after UFC 183. Former Strik read news >>

Daniel Cormier Needs Jon Jones to Make Career Complete (Video)

UFC champion Daniel Cormier has accomplished much in his career, but needs banished former champion Jon Jones to return to make his career complete. read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson fires back at Daniel Cormier after sarcastic remarks

After some verbal shots by the champion, the Swedish challenger now responds in equally sarcastic fashion. At the Go Big press conference last Friday, UFC light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier ha read news >>