jon-jones-at-greg-jacksons

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones said he respects Chuck Liddell and coach John Hackleman, but he’s forging his own road in MMA.

“I’m not Chuck Liddell,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I’m just me. I’m shamelessly me. I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to do in my career, and I don’t try to compare myself to guys like Chuck or any champion.

“I figure as long as I’m breaking records and doing my part, that’s all that matters.”

Right now, Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) is well into record territory. He long ago eclipsed Liddell’s mark of four consecutive title defenses in the UFC’s marquee 205-pound division, and later this month at UFC 172, he will attempt to extend his reign to seven when he meets Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

UFC 172 takes place April 26 at Baltimore’s Baltimore Arena. The event’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Jones’ fight with Texeira has put him in the crosshairs of Hackleman, who worked with Teixeria and Liddell at The Pit in Northern California. The coach implied the current champ doesn’t share Liddell’s fighting spirit and isn’t as beloved by UFC fans as the now-retired fighter.

While Hackleman didn’t directly accuse Jones of overlooking Teixeira, he said such an attitude is another reason why the champ isn’t popular.

Jones, a top pay-per-view draw, said he read Hackleman’s comments and thinks the coach got ahead of himself.

“I think he thought that I was maybe trying to offend his program, or Glover, which I wasn’t,” he said. “I think the whole thing was based on me looking over Glover, something that I’m not doing.

“I’m not going to sit here and insult John. I respect him a lot as a coach; I actually think he’s one of the best in the business. That’s why I’m training so hard for this fight – because I respect Glover and his coach.”

Jones also deflected less-than-nice comments recently made about him by Phil Davis, who recently repeated a claim that the champ would withdraw from UFC 172, opening a spot for an interim title fight with Teixeira.

Davis is scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson before Jones vs. Teixeira headlines the event, but he believes he may get promoted to headliner status.

“Phil, he has his job to do,” Jones said. “His job is to try and get a title shot, and he figures if he can stir up enough controversy and insult me enough that that will get him closer to the title shot.

“Maybe it’s working – we’re definitely talking about him more than usual. Good for him. Obviously, I’ll be here. My goal is to be in the No. 1 spot when he gets to me, and everything will take care of itself in time.”

Until then, Jones is sure he’ll field more trash talk from a list of fighters looking to take his title.

Asked whether he differentiated between Davis and Daniel Cormier, with whom he shares a long-simmering rivalry, Jones said all of the callouts and criticisms are part of a trend.

“One thing I’ve realized is I’m getting chirped by guys who aren’t actually contracted to fight me,” he said. “I think when you know your challenge is coming up, it can be a little more nerveracking than sitting on the sidelines and talking about what you would do. Me knowing this, I’m just going to focus on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself in the future.”

For the latest on UFC 172, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Ex-UFC champ Jon Jones still planning jump to heavyweight, awaits 'perfect opponent'

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has flip-flopped on the possibility of moving up to the heavyweight division over the years. Currently, however, he said it’s eventually going to happe read news >>

Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson Agree: Ronda Rousey Should Return to the UFC

Much like when Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in 2015, there was a fair bit of schadenfreude on display following her UFC 207 defeat at the hands of Amanda Nunes. People ranging from anon read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Responds to Dana White's Offer: 'You're a F***ing Comedian' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White officially made Floyd Mayweather an offer to box UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. Money responded as only Money would. read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' fight again

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey isn’t ready to call it a career just yet, but she admits she needs a little time to figure out her next move.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator Responds to UFC's Holm vs. De Randamie Booking With a Featherweight Title Fight of Its Own | FIGHTLAND

Image via Instagram/marloescoenen Late last month, the UFC left us all scratching our heads by putting together its first ever women’s featherweight title fight without including the world’s premier read news >>

UFC Fight Pass offers free-preview weekend for UFC Fight Night 103, Invicta FC 21, TKO 37

You don’t need to be a paying UFC Fight Pass subscriber to watch a weekend full of fights.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Despite feeling overdue for UFC shot, LFA 1's Leandro Higo plans to keep on truckin'

The way Leandro Higo is looking at his MMA career, he ought to be in the UFC right now. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC's Elias Theodorou was encouraged by 'my worst day of work'

Ahead of their meeting at UFC Fight Night 105 next month in Halifax, Elias Theodorou believes he’ll get a big chance to check Cezar Ferreira’s chin.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight read news >>

What was the greatest win of B.J. Penn's UFC Hall of Fame career?

B.J. Penn, one of the biggest names in MMA history, returns to the cage on Sunday. As we get ready for the return, let’s look back at his impressive career so far.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>