Jon Jones responds to Hackleman, says Davis, others trying to talk way into title shot

• submit to reddit

jon-jones-at-greg-jacksons

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones said he respects Chuck Liddell and coach John Hackleman, but he’s forging his own road in MMA.

“I’m not Chuck Liddell,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I’m just me. I’m shamelessly me. I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to do in my career, and I don’t try to compare myself to guys like Chuck or any champion.

“I figure as long as I’m breaking records and doing my part, that’s all that matters.”

Right now, Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) is well into record territory. He long ago eclipsed Liddell’s mark of four consecutive title defenses in the UFC’s marquee 205-pound division, and later this month at UFC 172, he will attempt to extend his reign to seven when he meets Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

UFC 172 takes place April 26 at Baltimore’s Baltimore Arena. The event’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Jones’ fight with Texeira has put him in the crosshairs of Hackleman, who worked with Teixeria and Liddell at The Pit in Northern California. The coach implied the current champ doesn’t share Liddell’s fighting spirit and isn’t as beloved by UFC fans as the now-retired fighter.

While Hackleman didn’t directly accuse Jones of overlooking Teixeira, he said such an attitude is another reason why the champ isn’t popular.

Jones, a top pay-per-view draw, said he read Hackleman’s comments and thinks the coach got ahead of himself.

“I think he thought that I was maybe trying to offend his program, or Glover, which I wasn’t,” he said. “I think the whole thing was based on me looking over Glover, something that I’m not doing.

“I’m not going to sit here and insult John. I respect him a lot as a coach; I actually think he’s one of the best in the business. That’s why I’m training so hard for this fight – because I respect Glover and his coach.”

Jones also deflected less-than-nice comments recently made about him by Phil Davis, who recently repeated a claim that the champ would withdraw from UFC 172, opening a spot for an interim title fight with Teixeira.

Davis is scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson before Jones vs. Teixeira headlines the event, but he believes he may get promoted to headliner status.

“Phil, he has his job to do,” Jones said. “His job is to try and get a title shot, and he figures if he can stir up enough controversy and insult me enough that that will get him closer to the title shot.

“Maybe it’s working – we’re definitely talking about him more than usual. Good for him. Obviously, I’ll be here. My goal is to be in the No. 1 spot when he gets to me, and everything will take care of itself in time.”

Until then, Jones is sure he’ll field more trash talk from a list of fighters looking to take his title.

Asked whether he differentiated between Davis and Daniel Cormier, with whom he shares a long-simmering rivalry, Jones said all of the callouts and criticisms are part of a trend.

“One thing I’ve realized is I’m getting chirped by guys who aren’t actually contracted to fight me,” he said. “I think when you know your challenge is coming up, it can be a little more nerveracking than sitting on the sidelines and talking about what you would do. Me knowing this, I’m just going to focus on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself in the future.”

For the latest on UFC 172, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

With friends like these... I know what some of you are thinking: Who cares what a WWE wrestler and Hollywood actor thinks? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), apparently, as the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion recently put "Hercules" on the cover of its latest magazine, along with an excerpt about his relationship with several prominent fighters (and one surprise prediction). From UFC.com: "I always have my eyes on the champions, specifically the heavyweight and light heavyw more

In a case of life imitating a Mania thread, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones sent his new challenger, Daniel Cormier, a direct message on Twitter. As the saying goes, we live in interesting times. Times when mixed martial arts (MMA) champions send small bursts of texts straight to their replacement opponents. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones went with the new times, while replacement challenger Daniel Cormier -- who tonight was anointed the next N more

The highly-anticipated light heavyweight championship rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson finally has a location. more

The UFC announced today that the rematch between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and No. 1 contender Alexander Gustafsson will take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. more

Daniel Cormier is getting the title shot that he’s coveted for so long. The former Olympian will step in to face current light heavyweight champion, Jon Jones, at UFC 178. Jones was set to face Alexander Gustafsson in a rematch of their 2013 bout, but the Swedish fighter was forced off of the card due to an injury. The UFC reported that Alexander suffered an injury to the meniscus in his right knee. This incident has created the opportunity for Cormier to step into the main event of the Septembe more

Who says UFC light heavyweight Daniel Cormier doesn’t love his fans? One of them, Russ Roman, a 29-year-old delivery driver for Domino’s, is learning firsthand. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

"The Hammer" is headed back to the toolbox ... this time for good. Matt Hamill's retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA) ... take two. The longtime Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veteran, who cut his teeth on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) and gave Michael Bisping his first big rivalry, is calling it quits after a nagging injury has prevented him from getting back inside the cage. From his official Facebook page: "First and foremost, I would like to thank my most loyal fans fo more

Undefeated UFC light heavyweight contender Daniel Cormier has offered extremely high praise for UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman heading into his UFC 175 showdown with Lyoto Machida. In a promo on Fox Sports for UFC 175, which airs live on pay-per-view from Las Vegas on Saturday, "DC" states outright that Weidman is the best middleweight around and could be considered the best at 205 pounds. Here's the transcription, per MixedMartialArts.com: To be the man, you have to beat the man. Weidm more