John Makdessi admits his patience was tested at UFC 158. Opponent Daron Cruickshank complained about a low kick that Makdessi didn’t think landed illegally. Cruickshank complained about a shot to the back of the head – after he had turned his back to Makdessi.

The scratches, though, bothered him more than anything.

“I thought he was a little bit disrespectful at one point because he had a weird defense, and he kept shoving his fingers in my face,” Makdessi today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “It was a little irritating in the second round. In the last (round), he poked me.

“I was full of scratches – my whole body, my whole neck. my back. I was all scratched up. I don’t know if it was his glove or his nails or whatever.”

Despite the scratches, which likely resulted from Cruickshank’s open-hand strikes and blocks, Makdessi took home a unanimous-decision victory at Saturday’s UFC 158 event at Montreal’s Bell Centre. Makdessi (11-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) and Cruickshank (12-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) fought on the FX-televised preliminary card.

For Makdessi, who fights out of Montreal with Tristar Gym, it was a memorable win. After suffering the first two losses of his career in 2012, the lightweight now has rebounded with a pair of victories. And getting both of them on home soil has been special.

“The Bell Centre, it’s an incredible feeling – the energy, the vibe, everything,” he said. “It was a crazy experience.”

And this is a guy who knows something about crazy experiences. After all, he had more than 55,000 people buzzing after he scored a highlight-reel spinning-backfist knockout of Kyle Watson at Toronto’s massive UFC 129 stadium show in 2011.

Although Makdessi has proven knockout power – he won his first six pro fights via strikes – he admits Cruickshank initially threw him off his game plan.

“If I’m trying to box with a guy and he has his fingers sticking out in my face, I’m always aware of that,” he said. “It’s hard for me to box with him, strike with him, if he’s doing that. … I’m not saying he’s doing it intentionally, but it was very weird for me. It was the first time I had a fight like that.”

A bout that many fans predicted would end in a “Fight of the Night” or “Knockout of the Night” bonus instead went to the judges, who scored it 29-28 for Makdessi. It wasn’t the stoppage he wanted, but a win is a win, and as the competition gets tougher, he knows he needs to keep his mind sharper while the fight is going on.

“Unfortunately, in MMA, we only have three rounds,” he said. “In boxing, they go up to 12 rounds. Sometimes, for three or four rounds, the fighters are feeling each other out. But we both respected each other, and we both knew what we were capable of.

“It’s a process. It’s a chess game. I just don’t want to walk into anything. I try to be a smart fighter in the sense of feeling him out and what he’ll throw at me. I’m trying to calculate moves and counters and timing and whatever it is. There’s a lot of things going in my head, and I’m just trying to process it.”

For complete coverage of UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

UFC 189's Rory MacDonald: 'My hunger was not there' in first fight with Lawler

• a day ago

MONTREAL – Rory MacDonald admits his passion for competition had fizzled prior to his first encounter with Robbie Lawler at UFC 167.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

When the UFC called, Joe Merritt admits he was briefly overwhelmed

After posting a 3-0 mark in 2014, all three wins by TKO, Joe Merritt had his eyes on a shot with the sport’s biggest promotion. But when the call came, Merritt admits he was in a little bit of shock. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 10

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 10 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. read news >>

Bellator 139's Joe Schilling: 'You can win by fighting like a straight-up vagina'

Bellator middleweight Joe Schilling admits his split-decision loss to Rafael Carvalho in April still eats at him, but he’s doing his best to look at the positive ahead of his return to action this Fr read news >>

Lyoto Machida: Luke Rockhold defeated me with 'illegal' elbow at UFC on FOX 15

However, "The Dragon" admits the blow probably wasn't delivered on purpose. When fans tuned in to UFC on FOX 15, which took place back on April 18, 2015 in Newark, New Jersey, they witnessed a one-si read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 9

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 9 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>

Jose Aldo issues statement on UFC 189 drug test fiasco, admits he got naked for illegal drug tester

No, no, turn around. Do it ... doucement. Do it ... very slowly. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo was taking part in a special media Q&A earlier this week and as e read news >>

Ever wonder what a wired jaw looks like? Let UFC vet John Makdessi show you

John Makdessi is making the best of a bad situation – and even making it an educational one.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 8

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 8 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>

USADA CEO on UFC's 'impressive' speed from talk to action on drug testing

A Q&A with USADA CEO Travis Tygart, who admits he wasn’t sure if the UFC was serious about cracking down on performance-enhancing drug users until the company made one key hiring decision.Filed under read news >>