Jake-Shields-UFC-129-OWHaving bounced back-and-forth between the 185-pound and 170-pound weight classes, Jake Shields returns to the welterweight division for good against Tyron Woodley at UFC 161 and expects to either knock out or submit his opponent.

“I’ll most likely stay at 170.  I’ve been back-and-forth between welterweight and middleweight,” Shields recently told video journalist Rick Lee. “I’ve actually been successful at middleweight, but these guys are so big. I have a hard time. I walk around at 190 and I’m fighting these guys, a lot of them come down from 210.  When you get in the cage and feel it, they’re just a little stronger than me, bigger frame.

“Overall, I hate cutting weight, but 170 is probably my best weight.”

Despite being fined and suspended for testing positive for a banned substance and having his decision win over Ed Herman overturned to a no contest, Shields expected a higher ranked opponent.

“I was a little surprised (at getting) Tyron Woodley,” he said. “I was hoping to fight someone in the top five, like (Jake) Ellenberger again or (Carlos) Condit or Rory MacDonald.  I was hoping to get one of those huge names, but Tyron Woodley is a respectable opponent. I think he’s ranked tenth, somewhere around there.  He’s coming off a big knockout, so he’s certainly a worthy opponent, so can’t complain about the fight.

“He’s a tough guy, great wrestler, an All-American wrestler, heavy hands,” Shields continued. “He’s a tough guy, but I think I’ve got a lot more experience and just advantages everywhere. Striking, I think I can beat him.  I think I can beat him on the ground.  I think I can tap him; better conditioning.  I feel like it’s my time.  I want to go out there and bring a lot of pressure and break him.”

Shields has won titles in EliteXC, Strikeforce, Shooto, and Gladiator Challenge, and feels this fight is important to get his name back in the mix of contenders in the UFC’s welterweight division.

“I think It’s very important for me.  I need to go out there and win the fight. But not only win, I need to finish him and try to put on an exciting fight and try to show that I am out there and try to get my name back in title contention,” he said. “I want to get my name back out there right now and have them start talking about me fighting for the title again.”

The 34-year-old didn’t give a specific prediction for the fight’s outcome, but was adamant that he will be gunning to finish Woodley.

“I don’t want to give an exact prediction, but I plan on going out there and finishing him.  I don’t want this to go the distance.  I’m not just happy with winning this fight.  I want to go out there and win by either knockout or submission.”

UFC 161 takes place on on June 15 from the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and is headlined by an interim bantamweight title bout between Renan Barao and Eddie Wineland.

How Conor McGregor Stacks Up with the UFC's Lightweight Division

Conor McGregor is slated to fight Rafael dos Anjos for the UFC lightweight title at UFC 197 on March 5. Assuming the UFC meets McGregor’s enormous financial demands, the fight will go ahead. It will read news >>

The State of the UFC Flyweight Division

The flyweight division has the distinction of being the UFC's only weight class to have had just one champion. While this absence of parity can partly be attributed to the division's recent inception read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

The State of the UFC Men's Bantamweight Division

These bantamweight dynasties—they don’t last forever. Just ask T.J. Dillashaw. On Sunday, it was Dominick Cruz bringing Dillashaw’s reign to a crashing halt after 20 months on top of the men’s 135-po read news >>

Back at 155, Sanchez Faces Miller at UFC 197

After a one-fight experiment in the featherweight division, Diego Sanchez will move back to 155 pounds on Saturday, March 5 when he faces Jim Miller in a UFC FIGHT PASS featured bout on the UFC 197 c read news >>

Former M-1 Challenge heavyweight champ Marcin Tybura signs deal with UFC

The UFC has a new addition to its heavyweight division in the form of an ex-M-1 Challenge champion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The State of the UFC Featherweight Division

The UFC featherweight division is a tale of two realities. On one hand, it boasts the most marketable champion in mixed martial arts, Conor McGregor. In short order, he has built himself into a cash- read news >>

The State of the UFC Lightweight Division

No division in the UFC boasts a deeper roster of talented fighters than lightweight. The promotion's 155-pounders run the gamut from brutal pressure fighters to suffocating wrestlers to flashy strike read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 Results: Ben Rothwell Submits Josh Barnett

“Big” Ben Rothwell sent a message to the rest of the heavyweight division on Saturday by submitting former champion Josh Barnett in the UFC on FOX 18 co-main event. read news >>

Ben Rothwell: Belt is secondary; my No. 1 priority is laying waste to entire division

NEWARK, N.J. – UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell wasn’t going to do a silly dance in the octagon or laugh maniacally in the event of a win over Josh Barnett at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 18.Filed under: Featur read news >>