Jake-Shields-UFC-129-OWHaving bounced back-and-forth between the 185-pound and 170-pound weight classes, Jake Shields returns to the welterweight division for good against Tyron Woodley at UFC 161 and expects to either knock out or submit his opponent.

“I’ll most likely stay at 170.  I’ve been back-and-forth between welterweight and middleweight,” Shields recently told video journalist Rick Lee. “I’ve actually been successful at middleweight, but these guys are so big. I have a hard time. I walk around at 190 and I’m fighting these guys, a lot of them come down from 210.  When you get in the cage and feel it, they’re just a little stronger than me, bigger frame.

“Overall, I hate cutting weight, but 170 is probably my best weight.”

Despite being fined and suspended for testing positive for a banned substance and having his decision win over Ed Herman overturned to a no contest, Shields expected a higher ranked opponent.

“I was a little surprised (at getting) Tyron Woodley,” he said. “I was hoping to fight someone in the top five, like (Jake) Ellenberger again or (Carlos) Condit or Rory MacDonald.  I was hoping to get one of those huge names, but Tyron Woodley is a respectable opponent. I think he’s ranked tenth, somewhere around there.  He’s coming off a big knockout, so he’s certainly a worthy opponent, so can’t complain about the fight.

“He’s a tough guy, great wrestler, an All-American wrestler, heavy hands,” Shields continued. “He’s a tough guy, but I think I’ve got a lot more experience and just advantages everywhere. Striking, I think I can beat him.  I think I can beat him on the ground.  I think I can tap him; better conditioning.  I feel like it’s my time.  I want to go out there and bring a lot of pressure and break him.”

Shields has won titles in EliteXC, Strikeforce, Shooto, and Gladiator Challenge, and feels this fight is important to get his name back in the mix of contenders in the UFC’s welterweight division.

“I think It’s very important for me.  I need to go out there and win the fight. But not only win, I need to finish him and try to put on an exciting fight and try to show that I am out there and try to get my name back in title contention,” he said. “I want to get my name back out there right now and have them start talking about me fighting for the title again.”

The 34-year-old didn’t give a specific prediction for the fight’s outcome, but was adamant that he will be gunning to finish Woodley.

“I don’t want to give an exact prediction, but I plan on going out there and finishing him.  I don’t want this to go the distance.  I’m not just happy with winning this fight.  I want to go out there and win by either knockout or submission.”

UFC 161 takes place on on June 15 from the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and is headlined by an interim bantamweight title bout between Renan Barao and Eddie Wineland.

Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans Set for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy will return to the Octagon to welcome Rashad Evans to the middleweight division at UFC 205. read news >>

Joanne Calderwood vs. Jessica Andrade Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The strawweight division was put on notice after Jessica Andrade (15-5) dispatched Jessica Penne at UFC 199, and now the upper echelon is on red alert. Andrade walked through Joanne Calderwood (11-3) read news >>

Jon Fitch vs. Jake Shields Headlines WSOF 34 | MMAWeekly.com

WSOF officially announced on Tuesday the highly anticipated welterweight title fight between reigning champion Jon Fitch and No. 1 contender Jake Shields. read news >>

Tyron Woodley v. Stephen Thompson Fight Announced for UFC 205: Details, Reaction

UFC 205 gained another fight Friday, as Fox Sports' Damon Martin reported that Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson will square off for the welterweight title on Nov. 12 from Madison Square Garden. She read news >>

Tyron Woodley Defends Welterweight Title at UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

Although he'd been angling for "big money" fights, welterweight champ Tyron Woodley will have to settle for putting his belt on the line at UFC New York. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 94 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Poirier vs. Johnson Card

The UFC lightweight division has a new title contender in Michael Johnson. It didn't take long for Johnson to show the world he means business in this division, knocking out Poirier after 95 seconds. read news >>

Breaking Down Cris Cyborg's UFC Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is preparing to headline her first UFC event ever. Tyron Woodley and Dan Hardy break down her match-up with Lina Lansberg. read news >>

Goodbye Gridlock: UFC's Top 10 Middleweights All Fight in Next 2 Months

It’s hard to believe, but the UFC middleweight division has never really recovered from Anderson Silva losing his title back in 2013. Once a pillar of consistency during Silva’s near seven-year reign read news >>

Tyron Woodley on why he won't be playing a Spider-Man villain

Tyron Woodley joined Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole on FOX Sports Live to talk about his mental preparations, being an underdog vs. Stephen Thompson and proper wages for champion UFC fighters. read news >>

After impressive result in UFC debut, Luan Chagas intent on becoming welterweight champ

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley might now know the name Luan Chagas just yet, but if “Tarzan” has his way, that will all change soon enough.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>