Jake-Shields-UFC-129-OWHaving bounced back-and-forth between the 185-pound and 170-pound weight classes, Jake Shields returns to the welterweight division for good against Tyron Woodley at UFC 161 and expects to either knock out or submit his opponent.

“I’ll most likely stay at 170.  I’ve been back-and-forth between welterweight and middleweight,” Shields recently told video journalist Rick Lee. “I’ve actually been successful at middleweight, but these guys are so big. I have a hard time. I walk around at 190 and I’m fighting these guys, a lot of them come down from 210.  When you get in the cage and feel it, they’re just a little stronger than me, bigger frame.

“Overall, I hate cutting weight, but 170 is probably my best weight.”

Despite being fined and suspended for testing positive for a banned substance and having his decision win over Ed Herman overturned to a no contest, Shields expected a higher ranked opponent.

“I was a little surprised (at getting) Tyron Woodley,” he said. “I was hoping to fight someone in the top five, like (Jake) Ellenberger again or (Carlos) Condit or Rory MacDonald.  I was hoping to get one of those huge names, but Tyron Woodley is a respectable opponent. I think he’s ranked tenth, somewhere around there.  He’s coming off a big knockout, so he’s certainly a worthy opponent, so can’t complain about the fight.

“He’s a tough guy, great wrestler, an All-American wrestler, heavy hands,” Shields continued. “He’s a tough guy, but I think I’ve got a lot more experience and just advantages everywhere. Striking, I think I can beat him.  I think I can beat him on the ground.  I think I can tap him; better conditioning.  I feel like it’s my time.  I want to go out there and bring a lot of pressure and break him.”

Shields has won titles in EliteXC, Strikeforce, Shooto, and Gladiator Challenge, and feels this fight is important to get his name back in the mix of contenders in the UFC’s welterweight division.

“I think It’s very important for me.  I need to go out there and win the fight. But not only win, I need to finish him and try to put on an exciting fight and try to show that I am out there and try to get my name back in title contention,” he said. “I want to get my name back out there right now and have them start talking about me fighting for the title again.”

The 34-year-old didn’t give a specific prediction for the fight’s outcome, but was adamant that he will be gunning to finish Woodley.

“I don’t want to give an exact prediction, but I plan on going out there and finishing him.  I don’t want this to go the distance.  I’m not just happy with winning this fight.  I want to go out there and win by either knockout or submission.”

UFC 161 takes place on on June 15 from the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and is headlined by an interim bantamweight title bout between Renan Barao and Eddie Wineland.

UFC 201: Can Robbie Lawler Escape Upset Curse & Get Past Tyron Woodley?

Tyron Woodley may be the most dangerous kind of opponent for Robbie Lawler right now—under-hyped and overqualified. When the two occasional teammates at American Top Team meet at Saturday’s UFC 201, read news >>

The Strawweight Division Should Be a Cornerstone of the New UFC

The UFC's landscape is changing. With the promotion's $4 billion sale to WME-IMG and Zuffa's exit from the landscape of MMA, the new owners will soon be looking for a new TV deal and, more important, read news >>

Woodley wants to prove worth in high-stakes title fight

Tyron Woodley has the opportunity of a lifetime against Robbie Lawler at UFC 201. He knows it and has been waiting for his chance to prove he's the best welterweight on the planet. read news >>

5 Rounds: Stephen Thompson on Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley at UFC 201

Thousands of fans will flock to the Philips Arena in Atlanta Saturday to see Tyron Woodley (15-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) challenge Robbie Lawler (27-10 MMA, 12-4 UFC) for the UFC welterweight champion. None, h read news >>

Chael Sonnen’s UFC 201 Main Event Breakdown: Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley

Former UFC title contender Chael Sonnen weighs in on the UFC 201 main event welterweight championship bout between Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley. read news >>

UFC 201: Lawler vs Woodley weigh-in results

UFC 201, headlined by the UFC welterweight title fight between Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley, and the women’s strawweight clash between Rose Namajunas and Karolina Kowalkiewicz, airs live on Pay-Pe read news >>

UFC 201 Video: Tyron Woodley Plans to Show He’s the Best Welterweight in the World

Tyron Woodley finally gets his shot at the UFC 170-pound title on Saturday when he faces champion Robbie Lawler in the UFC 201 main event. read news >>

Lawler vs. Woodley: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 201

Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley hit the scales on Friday ahead of their mouth-watering title bout at UFC 201, and both fighters came in dead on the 170-pound limit, per Fox Sports: UFC: The main even read news >>

UFC 201 Results: Tyron Woodley Knocks Out Robbie Lawler, Wins Welterweight Title

Tryon Woodley shocked Robbie Lawler in the main event at UFC 201, knocking out the champ and earning the welterweight title with a first-round stoppage on Saturday night in Atlanta. read news >>

HOT TWEETS: Tyron Woodley Blows Robbie Lawler, and Twitter, Away!

Not only did Tyron Woodley blow Robbie Lawler away at UFC 201, he did the same to Twitter! read news >>