Jacob Volkmann: ‘I’ve Got a New Enemy’


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Jacob Volkmann made headlines in 2011 for criticizing President Barack Obama, but he’s found a new target ahead of his bout Saturday against Paul Sass at UFC 146.

“I’ve got a new enemy in mind right now,” Volkmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

When asked about that enemy, Volkmann indicated fans will find out who it is at UFC 146. He added that it is an organization, not an opponent, and then he didn’t hesitate to criticize how he has been matched in the UFC.

“I’ve got five wins in a row now and I still don’t even have a top-20 [opponent],” Volkmann said. “You can go from there. I’ve never had a top-20 guy yet.”

Volkmann dropped his first two bouts in the UFC, but he won the next five, all via decision. He thinks his style, however, has hurt him when it comes to moving up the promotion’s ranks.

“They don’t like my style, the more technical kind of ground game,” Volkmann said. “I haven’t finished a fight, too. That’s another thing that has to do with me not getting a top-10 [opponent].”

Volkmann’s fight against Sass is scheduled for the preliminary card. He said no one from the UFC has approached him directly to discuss his style, but he’s certain the way he wins is why he’s on the undercard.

“Dana White, I think it was before [I fought] Efrain Escudero, he said in the back before the fight started, after the weigh-ins, he was saying the people that are on the main card are there for a reason: because they finish fights,” Volkmann said. “It’s pretty much well known why people are on the main card.”

With that said, Volkmann actually understands the UFC’s reasoning.

“I think it sucks, but it’s kind of fair because they’ve got to pay their bills too,” he said. “They’ve got to make the crowd excited. The people that pay for the pay-per-views, they want to try to keep them coming back and throwing what they think are the most exciting fights.”

Of course, Volkmann could change and make his style more entertaining for fans, but he doesn’t plan on it.

“I’m not going to try to cater to them because what I’m doing is winning,” he said. “I’m going to stick to what works for me. I’m a wrestler. I’m going to take the guy down and I’m going to try to submit him. That’s my strength, and I’m going to stick with that.”

As a consequence, he realizes a loss to Sass could cost him his job in the UFC. That means he needs to make his five-fight win streak a six-fight win streak, or he might have to find another promotion to compete in.

“If I lose, I’m pretty sure they’ll cut me, to be honest,” Volkmann said. “They don’t like my style.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 13:03).

view original article >>

Related News

  • 16 days ago
  • 38 views

Jacob Volkmann took it upon himself to slam his former employers at WSOF, citing some questionable business practices. As you might expect, WSOF Executive Vice-President Ali Abdelaziz didn’t exactly take it too kindly.Filed under: News, WSOF more

  • 16 days ago
  • 54 views

Jacob Volkmann slams WSOF on twitter, then gets released by the promotion shortly after. After two fights with the promotion followed by a lengthy layoff, Jacob Volkmann isn't happy with the way WSOF handled his contract. He instead had to take fights outside WSOF where he went 1-1, including a loss to TJ O'Brien last May. Like most fighters these days, he took to twitter to rant about his situation. Read the lengthy string of tweets below: 2 days before i signed with @MMAWorldSeries i received more

  • 23 days ago
  • 92 views

UFC President Dana White made himself available for a full hour earlier this afternoon, answering a ton of questions from fans in attendance at the Fan Expo at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Hear what White had to say about the fighting futures of Georges St-Pierre, Nick Diaz and, of course, Gina Carano, as well as slog though the litany of requests to do dumb things. All that and much, much more. more

  • 18 days ago
  • 45 views

UFC president, Dana White weighs in on Scott Coker taking over as Bellator president, how Bjorn Rebney instigated the bad blood between the two organizations and how SPIKE TV are "good guys." Since Bellator's ousting of Bjorn Rebney and subsequent appointment of former Strikeforce CEO, Scott Coker to run the promotion, the air of contention that UFC president, Dana White once carried toward the Number 2 MMA organization has diminished considerably. Whether Coker's new lead position makes Bellato more

  • 9 days ago
  • 25 views

In a week in which flyweights made headlines throughout, Ian McCall stated his case. The Orange County, Calif. native asserted himself on the list of contenders for Demetrious Johnson's title with his best performance in the Octagon. McCall (13-4-1) got the best of veteran Brad Pickett at UFC Fight Night 46, earning a unanimous decision. The bout was pretty simple: Pickett (24-11) seemed to take his "One Punch" nickname a little too seriously, throwing heavy shots and missing them. Pickett effor more

  • 6 days ago
  • 19 views

UFC president Dana White is fond of Dutch heavyweight Stefan Struve, but is concerned about giving him another fight after a panic attack forced him out of hi sUFC 175 bout against Matt Mitrione. more

  • 27 days ago
  • 1126 views

The UFC president spoke on Fox Sports 1 about the decision to fire the fighter and announcer that he had openly speculated could take his place just last month. Here's what UFC bossman Dana White said on some UFC related show on Fox Sports 1 tonight about firing announcer Chael Sonnen -- who was pulled off Saturday's UFC 175 card after failing a urine test for banned substances, then retired as an MMA fighter and was fired as an announcer Monday after it was revealed a blood test caught ANOTHER more

  • 27 days ago
  • 48 views

You think being UFC President is easy? THINK AGAIN! Perhaps Chael Sonnen's biggest ally and champion, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White, had remained silent on his shocking "termination" after outright bombing a pre-fight out-of-competition drug test. Sonnen initially claimed the two banned substances detected in his system, Anastrozole and human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), were prescribed to treat fertility issues. And he had no apologies for doing what needed to be do more

  • 27 days ago
  • 54 views

UFC president Dana White has broken his silence on the Chael Sonnen situation. While the UFC issued an official statement on Monday -- announcing that the company and FOX Sports were cutting ties with Sonnen, who failed his second Nevada Athletic Commission drug test in less than a month -- White himself had not spoken directly on the situation. Tuesday night on FOX Sports 1, White spoke on the matter, saying it wasn't easy to cut someone he considers a friend. "You know, its never easy making d more