Jacare Souza More Upset About Not Fighting in November Than Getting a Title Shot


Jacare Souza StrikeforceLuke Rockhold will next defend his Strikeforce middleweight title against Lorenz Larkin on Nov 3, but that came as a surprise to former champion Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza.

Most believed Jacare had earned the next shot at Rockhold after his first round knockout over Derek Brunson in August, but Strikeforce officials opted to go another route and offer the fight to Larkin instead.

According to the Brazilian’s manager, Gilberto Faria, Souza was completely healthy, but was not offered the fight with Rockhold.

“Jacare is 100% healthy. Jacare normally needs 8 to 10 weeks for his camp in preparation for a fight. So for November 3rd card the clock is ticking and most like he will not be able to fight on this card,” Faria told MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday.

Jacare lost the Strikeforce middleweight title to Rockhold in Sept 2011 and has gone 2-0 since that time to work his way back into the contender’s race.

His manager says that for now Strikeforce is planning on bringing Jacare back at the beginning of 2013, and not the Nov 3 card headed for Oklahoma City.

“On my last conversation, they told me Strikeforce has plans for Ronaldo Jacare for beginning of 2013. We just hope they have a card for early January, Jacare gets cranky when he stays 4, 5 months without a fight,” Faria said.

While some were left wondering why Larkin was chosen instead of Souza to face Rockhold for the middleweight title in November, the former champion was more concerned about something else entirely.

Jacare wanted to fight in November, but it wasn’t about facing Rockhold, it was just about staying active and getting another fight in before 2012 ended.

“Jacare is more disappointed for not being on the November card than fight against Luke (Rockhold),” said Faria.

“All he wants is fight. He is on his prime and keeping him busy, fighting 3, 4 times a year will help him to evolve as a fighter and his great performances will keep coming.”

For now it appears Jacare will have to be a spectator for the Nov 3 card, and await word if he will face the winner of the title fight between Rockhold and Larkin.

For more news make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 7 days ago
  • 8 views

NEW YORK -- Luke Rockhold stopped by our studio this week to talk about his upcoming UFC on FOX 15 fight against Lyoto Machida, his love life, drug testing in MMA, whether he is close to a title shot read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 6 views

UFC 183 is the final event of what has been an action-packed January for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. The story revolves around the return of Anderson Silva and his battle against the outspoke read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 15 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White stated that should Anderson Silva defeat Nick Diaz this weekend (Sat., Jan. 31, 2015) at UFC 183 in Las Vegas, Nevada, the Brazilian bomber w read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

Earlier this month, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White named The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17 winner Kelvin Gastelum as one of the next contenders for the welterweight title, curr read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 60 views

Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold, Josh Samman and other MMA fighters give their predictions for UFC 183's main event bout in Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz UFC 183's highly anticipated main event bout be read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

Phoenix Carnevale spoke to Luke Rockhold, Daniel Cormier, Randy Couture, T.J. Dillashaw and more at last night's 2015 MMA Awards. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

The Paradise Warrior Retreat will bring UFC world champions and MMA legends to the LA Convention Center on February 7th and 8th. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 9 views

Since Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight champion Chris Weidman was forced to withdraw from his scheduled title defense against No. 1 contender Vitor Belfort at UFC 184, "The Phenom" h read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 7 views

Jacare Souza's manager believes that Vitor Belfort should lose his chance to fight for a possible UFC interim middleweight title, and his client is next in line. The UFC middleweight title situation read news >>