georges-st-pierre-ufc-167-post2After weeks of speculation and a few days of true uncertainty, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre today made it official: He’s vacating his title and taking some time off.

St-Pierre today made the announcement during a media call carried by MMAjunkie Radio.

St-Pierre, long ranked No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA welterweight rankings, said he simply needed a break from the sport. He made his decision after talking to UFC President Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

“I’ve been fighting for a long time,” St-Pierre said. “I have 22 fights in the UFC, and 15 were for a world title. I’ve been fighting a long time at a high level, a lot of pressure and criticizing. I’ve decided I needed to take some time off.”

St-Pierre didn’t count out the possibility of returning to the cage in the future, but he had no immediate plans. That prompted his decision to vacate his title.

“The UFC is a business,” he said. “I’m vacating my title out of respect for the other competitors.”

Soon after he narrowly edged Johny Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) via split decision at UFC 167, St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) said he would be taking time off from the sport in an emotional post-fight speech and declined to identify the apparently serious issues gnawing at him.

“I can’t sleep at night, man,” he said after the Nov. 16 event. “I’m going crazy. I have issues and I need to get out for a while. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I feel like I’m leaving everything out now, but I need to leave part of my life personal. I need to get out for a little bit, and that’s it.”

White initially was adamant that Hendricks deserved an immediate rematch and that he expected St-Pierre to put off any type of layoff.

However, with St-Pierre planning to discuss his future today at an appearance at a mall in Quebec City, the UFC booked the media call with White just prior to it.

After speaking with St-Pierre, who said he simply couldn’t go through with another training camp and considered taking a break even before UFC 167, White said he understood.

“I agree with Georges 100 percent,” White said. “… I think it’s the right move.”

Despite the temporary loss of the UFC’s biggest-pay-per-view draw, all’s not lost for the promotion. St-Pierre isn’t calling it a retirement and vowed he’ll return to the cage.

“Definitely one day I will come back,” he said. “I’ll be stronger when I do, but it has to be on my own terms.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): UFC 207's Louis Smolka and Alex Garcia, Eric Del Fierro (in studio)

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Louis Smolka, Alex Garcia and Eric Del Fierro.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Dec. 27: Can Ronda Rousey take back her No. 1 spot?

This weekend’s UFC 207 card is full of intriguing matchups, but there’s much on the line in the evening’s main event.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Cain Velasquez gives his side of the story on UFC 207 withdrawal

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez posted a statement on his official Facebook page to explain his side of the story on the cancelation of his rematch with fellow ex-champ Fabricio Werdum read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Max Holloway, Jeremy Stephens, Dan Tom, UFC 207 breakdown

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Max Holloway, Jeremy Stephens and Dan Tom.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

'Rizin FF Grand Prix Open Weight 2016: Finale' live video stream and official results (1 a.m. ET)

The Rizin FF Grand Prix Open Weight 2016 concludes today, and you can join us live results from the New Year’s Eve show beginning at 1 a.m. ET (10 p.m. PT Friday).Filed under: Featured, News read news >>

Marquee Fighters Gear Up for UFC 207 Fight Week (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Women's bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes happily gets her official fight week duties underway. Bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz packs for Vegas. read news >>

Watch today's weigh-in in dynamic 360 video

UFC is making history again as the first professional sport to test out the new live 360 video streaming technology on Periscope via Twitter at the UFC 207: NUNES vs. ROUSEY ceremonial weigh-in event read news >>

Nunes vs. Rousey: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 207

The weigh-ins are over, the main event is official, the only thing left to do is get Amanda Nunes and Ronda Rousey in the Octagon to fight for the bantamweight title Friday night. Both Nunes and Rous read news >>

UFC 207: 6 Takeaways From the Night Ronda Rousey Fell Again | MMAWeekly.com

Wow, a lot of haters are happy today. Ronda Rousey got KTFO again, worse than the first time and now her future as an MMA fighter looks in doubt. read news >>