In the Twilight of Her Career, Hitomi Akano Ready for Another Run at Gold


Hitomi Akano - StrikeforceThe last time mainland American fight fans got to see veteran Japanese fighter Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano was two years ago as part of Strikeforce’s 135-pound women’s grand prix. To Akano, it doesn’t seem like that long ago, though she admits, much has changed since then.

“It’s been two years,” inquired Akano. “I didn’t even realize that tournament was such a long time ago.

“During that time I believe the 135-pound ranking has changed a lot, so in today’s MMA, everything moves very fast.”

While it’s been so long since she’s been on the mainland, Akano fought in Hawaii in a losing effort to Sarah McMann in January.

“Against Sarah I believe I lacked in the offensive department,” said Akano. “After all, I have to attack, and then create a situation where I feel comfortable, and I believe that would lead me to the victory.”

Coincidentally, Akano will be fighting on the undercard of McMann’s next fight at the second installment of Invicta FC on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan. To Akano, having such a veteran fighter in the company is a situation that can be both beneficial to her and the promotion.

“I have to make sure I will be fully prepared, then I have to give everything I got to defeat the opponent, and that is what fighter must do for the promotion,” Akano told MMAWeekly.com.

Akano’s opponent on July 28 will be fellow Strikeforce veteran Alexis Davis. Akano feels she’s analyzed Davis well prior to the bout, but truly won’t know where the two stand skill-wise until afterwards.

“From watching her fights I feel she is very good at positioning herself to an advantage,” said Akano of Davis. “Also, she looks like she has a strong heart.

“In terms of what areas of my game is superior to hers that is something I can analyze after I win this fight.”

At 37 years old, with nearly a decade in the sport, Akano knows she’s in the twilight of her career, but should things go her way on Saturday night, one last run at gold could very well be in her future.

“Considering my age, I feel I cannot continue for a long time, but if I can get an opportunity to fight for the title of course I will go for that,” she said.

“Davis is without a doubt an excellent fighter; therefore I am looking forward to this fight. And I believe this fight will be something fans can feel the heat so please support this fight and Invicta.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 28 views

Ramsey Nijem’s April win proved a turning point in his career, and it had nothing to do with what happened in the cage. For the first time, the Palestinian American fully embraced his heritage, and i read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 21 views

At 34 years old, you won’t see UFC welterweight Patrick Cote following Donald Cerrone to the lake for some extracurricular wakeboarding.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 2 views

Ryan Bader knows what it feels like to have an Ultimate Fighting Championship title shot within his reach. But only now can he admit he wasn’t ready for that type of opportunity.Filed under: News, UF read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 6 views

And he doesn't care if he's the first fight of the night, he's just happy to be back in the big show. Though Ben Saunders won't get to see firsthand all the changes Scott Coker is making to Bellator, read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 3 views

Koji Oishi will seek to cement his place atop the ONE FC 145-pound weight class when he defends his title on Aug. 29 in Dubai, against veteran Jadamba Narantungalag. read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 15 views

Following a successful amateur career that included a KOTC championship, Danielle Taylor heads into Thursday's fight with her gaze shifting towards a pro title. read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 30 views

Nate Diaz's manager Mike Kogan had some harsh words for Bellator's former CEO Bjorn Rebney. It has been over a month since Bjorn Rebney resigned from his position as Bellator CEO and there is at leas read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 38 views

LOS ANGELES – Over the entirety of his more than 11-year, 34-fight career, Kendall Grove has never won more than four consecutive fights. Before retiring from competition, though, he’s determined to read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 49 views

In a recent interview with Bloody Elbow, Tim Kennedy discussed the issues he has with Belfort's licensure, why the good will between Michael Bisping and himself never lasted and if fighting at 170 is read news >>