Hitomi Akano - StrikeforceThe last time mainland American fight fans got to see veteran Japanese fighter Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano was two years ago as part of Strikeforce’s 135-pound women’s grand prix. To Akano, it doesn’t seem like that long ago, though she admits, much has changed since then.

“It’s been two years,” inquired Akano. “I didn’t even realize that tournament was such a long time ago.

“During that time I believe the 135-pound ranking has changed a lot, so in today’s MMA, everything moves very fast.”

While it’s been so long since she’s been on the mainland, Akano fought in Hawaii in a losing effort to Sarah McMann in January.

“Against Sarah I believe I lacked in the offensive department,” said Akano. “After all, I have to attack, and then create a situation where I feel comfortable, and I believe that would lead me to the victory.”

Coincidentally, Akano will be fighting on the undercard of McMann’s next fight at the second installment of Invicta FC on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan. To Akano, having such a veteran fighter in the company is a situation that can be both beneficial to her and the promotion.

“I have to make sure I will be fully prepared, then I have to give everything I got to defeat the opponent, and that is what fighter must do for the promotion,” Akano told MMAWeekly.com.

Akano’s opponent on July 28 will be fellow Strikeforce veteran Alexis Davis. Akano feels she’s analyzed Davis well prior to the bout, but truly won’t know where the two stand skill-wise until afterwards.

“From watching her fights I feel she is very good at positioning herself to an advantage,” said Akano of Davis. “Also, she looks like she has a strong heart.

“In terms of what areas of my game is superior to hers that is something I can analyze after I win this fight.”

At 37 years old, with nearly a decade in the sport, Akano knows she’s in the twilight of her career, but should things go her way on Saturday night, one last run at gold could very well be in her future.

“Considering my age, I feel I cannot continue for a long time, but if I can get an opportunity to fight for the title of course I will go for that,” she said.

“Davis is without a doubt an excellent fighter; therefore I am looking forward to this fight. And I believe this fight will be something fans can feel the heat so please support this fight and Invicta.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The Trials of Jon Jones: Is He in Danger of Losing the Prime of Career?

Jon Jones dodged another major career hurdle Thursday, when a New Mexico Judicial District Court judge added new provisions to his existing court probation but declined any harsher conditions includi read news >>

Seven Years In, Dakota Cochrane’s Career Finally Falling into Place

More than 30 fights and seven years into his career, Dakota Cochrane feels that things are finally falling into place, as he heads into Friday night's Victory FC 49. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey's UFC Return Amid Miesha Tate Fight Rumours

UFC president Dana White believes former women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is "ready to fight" again, and she will return to the Octagon in November or December. That could open the door for read news >>

UFC 198's 'Shogun' Rua taking career 'fight by fight,' starting with Corey Anderson

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio Rua hasn’t won back-to-back fights since 2009. But at UFC 198, he gets his chance.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Video: ‘I Deserve a Title Fight’

With his recent win over Anderson Silva, Michael Bisping believes that he deserves a shot at the UFC middleweight champion. read news >>

Vitor Belfort Says Winner of His UFC 198 Fight with Jacare Souza Deserves Title Shot

Third-ranked middleweight Vitor Belfort believes the winner of his UFC 198 bout against second-ranked Jacare Souza deserves a title fight. read news >>

UFC 197 Free Fight: Olympian Henry Cejudo Defeats Dustin Kimura in UFC Debut

Henry Cejudo has yet to lose a fight in his MMA career. He defeated Dustin Kimura in his UFC debut and will now challenge Demetrious Johnson for the flyweight title. read news >>

Julianna Pena cleared to resume UFC career following assault allegations

The UFC today announced it has completed an investigation into allegations of assault by women’s bantamweight Julianna Pena and reinstated “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner, freeing her to resume her read news >>

Jose Aldo Talks Conor McGregor's 'Lucky' Punch, Lack of UFC Rematch Frustration

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo believes Conor McGregor only won their highly anticipated fight at UFC 194 in December because he was "lucky" to land a knockout shot just seconds into the read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Thinks Justin Bieber Could Do MMA

Urijah Faber is heading into a fight of his own, but he believes entertainer Justin Bieber could also be a fighter. read news >>