Hitomi Akano - StrikeforceThe last time mainland American fight fans got to see veteran Japanese fighter Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano was two years ago as part of Strikeforce’s 135-pound women’s grand prix. To Akano, it doesn’t seem like that long ago, though she admits, much has changed since then.

“It’s been two years,” inquired Akano. “I didn’t even realize that tournament was such a long time ago.

“During that time I believe the 135-pound ranking has changed a lot, so in today’s MMA, everything moves very fast.”

While it’s been so long since she’s been on the mainland, Akano fought in Hawaii in a losing effort to Sarah McMann in January.

“Against Sarah I believe I lacked in the offensive department,” said Akano. “After all, I have to attack, and then create a situation where I feel comfortable, and I believe that would lead me to the victory.”

Coincidentally, Akano will be fighting on the undercard of McMann’s next fight at the second installment of Invicta FC on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan. To Akano, having such a veteran fighter in the company is a situation that can be both beneficial to her and the promotion.

“I have to make sure I will be fully prepared, then I have to give everything I got to defeat the opponent, and that is what fighter must do for the promotion,” Akano told MMAWeekly.com.

Akano’s opponent on July 28 will be fellow Strikeforce veteran Alexis Davis. Akano feels she’s analyzed Davis well prior to the bout, but truly won’t know where the two stand skill-wise until afterwards.

“From watching her fights I feel she is very good at positioning herself to an advantage,” said Akano of Davis. “Also, she looks like she has a strong heart.

“In terms of what areas of my game is superior to hers that is something I can analyze after I win this fight.”

At 37 years old, with nearly a decade in the sport, Akano knows she’s in the twilight of her career, but should things go her way on Saturday night, one last run at gold could very well be in her future.

“Considering my age, I feel I cannot continue for a long time, but if I can get an opportunity to fight for the title of course I will go for that,” she said.

“Davis is without a doubt an excellent fighter; therefore I am looking forward to this fight. And I believe this fight will be something fans can feel the heat so please support this fight and Invicta.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Gold Couldn't Possibly Define Michael Bisping's Career

Imagine you work your whole life for a dream. To reach it, you have to compete against people taking shortcuts. Imagine those shortcuts lead them ahead of you. Imagine that dream falls away, likely n read news >>

Julius Anglickas Building a Solid Career Heading into Next Shamrock FC Fight

Building off of an active amateur career, Julius Anglickas is on track heading into Saturday's Shamrock FC. read news >>

Bryan Caraway%26#x2019;s career blossoming after upsetting Aljamain Sterling (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Defeating the previously unbeaten No. 4-ranked bantamweight is nothing compared to the struggles Caraway has overcome in his personal life. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Results: Jeremy Stephens Spoils Renan Barao’s Featherweight Debut

Jeremy Stephens scored the biggest win of his career on Sunday night, spoiling former bantamweight champion Rena Barao's arrival at 145 pounds. read news >>

Michael Bisping Says Half the UFC Roster Are Pu**ies (UFC 199 Video)

Michael Bisping believes that taking the fight with Luke Rockhold on short notice has only helped him, takes a shot at half the UFC roster. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

Dhiego Lima Looking for a Knockout at Titan FC 39, a UFC Return in 2016

Dhiego Lima believes that a knockout at Titan FC 39 and another strong performance could put him back in the Octagon. read news >>