Hitomi Akano - StrikeforceThe last time mainland American fight fans got to see veteran Japanese fighter Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano was two years ago as part of Strikeforce’s 135-pound women’s grand prix. To Akano, it doesn’t seem like that long ago, though she admits, much has changed since then.

“It’s been two years,” inquired Akano. “I didn’t even realize that tournament was such a long time ago.

“During that time I believe the 135-pound ranking has changed a lot, so in today’s MMA, everything moves very fast.”

While it’s been so long since she’s been on the mainland, Akano fought in Hawaii in a losing effort to Sarah McMann in January.

“Against Sarah I believe I lacked in the offensive department,” said Akano. “After all, I have to attack, and then create a situation where I feel comfortable, and I believe that would lead me to the victory.”

Coincidentally, Akano will be fighting on the undercard of McMann’s next fight at the second installment of Invicta FC on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan. To Akano, having such a veteran fighter in the company is a situation that can be both beneficial to her and the promotion.

“I have to make sure I will be fully prepared, then I have to give everything I got to defeat the opponent, and that is what fighter must do for the promotion,” Akano told MMAWeekly.com.

Akano’s opponent on July 28 will be fellow Strikeforce veteran Alexis Davis. Akano feels she’s analyzed Davis well prior to the bout, but truly won’t know where the two stand skill-wise until afterwards.

“From watching her fights I feel she is very good at positioning herself to an advantage,” said Akano of Davis. “Also, she looks like she has a strong heart.

“In terms of what areas of my game is superior to hers that is something I can analyze after I win this fight.”

At 37 years old, with nearly a decade in the sport, Akano knows she’s in the twilight of her career, but should things go her way on Saturday night, one last run at gold could very well be in her future.

“Considering my age, I feel I cannot continue for a long time, but if I can get an opportunity to fight for the title of course I will go for that,” she said.

“Davis is without a doubt an excellent fighter; therefore I am looking forward to this fight. And I believe this fight will be something fans can feel the heat so please support this fight and Invicta.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

According to Alistair Overeem ‘CM Punk is Making a Mistake’ (UFC 203 Video)

Although Alistair Overeem welcomes CM Punk to the UFC, he believes that the former professional wrestler is making a mistake jumping into deep waters. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

Miocic counters Overeem talk of championship complacency

Alistair Overeem is in for a surprise if he really believes Stipe Miocic is distracted heading into his first title defense in his hometown. Miocic said as much Thursday at the UFC 203 pre-fight pres read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Tony Johnson Believes a Win Over Cheick Kongo Paves Way to Bellator Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Johnson has worked his way into a heavyweight main event fight against Cheick Kongo at Bellator 161 on Friday. Is it his route to the title? read news >>

Cody Garbrandt: Dominick Cruz is My Next Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Cody Garbrandt believes that there is no other fight for him other than a shot at UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz. read news >>