If Aldo moves up, UFC boss says Chad Mendes vs. Cub Swanson makes sense for featherweight title


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

chad-mendes-ufc-on-fox-9

UFC President Dana White made it very clear he wasn’t making a fight announcement, but he did offer a strong opinion on what could come next at 145 pounds if Jose Aldo does indeed vacate his title and move up to the lightweight division to challenge current champ Anthony Pettis.

White believes a showdown between Chad Mendes (16-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) and Cub Swanson (20-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) would make sense to determine a new UFC featherweight champion.

“It would probably be – listen, I’m not making a fight announcement here or anything – but what would make sense is Cub Swanson and Chad Mendes would probably be fighting for that title, and Pettis and Aldo would fight at 155,” White said while a guest on Wednesday’s new edition of FOX Sports 1's “FOX Sports Live.”

White also eliminated the possibility of a potential 150-pound catchweight fight between Aldo and Pettis, a possibility that had recently been presented by Nova Uniao head Andre Pederneiras.

“There’s no disagreement over the weight,” White said. “They’re going to fight at 155 pounds. What will happen is Aldo would have to give up his title, vacate the 145-pound title, move up to 155.”

If the Mendes vs. Swanson bout is scheduled, it would serve as a rematch of their August 2010 fight under the WEC banner, which Mendes won via decision.

Mendes’ lone career loss came in a failed 2012 bid to unseat Aldo as champ. However, Mendes has since earned five consecutive wins and now sits at No. 2 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings. Mendes fought most recently in December, when he earned a decision win over Nik Lentz.

Meanwhile, Swanson also boasts a five-fight winning streak, a run that includes a July victory over Dennis Siver at UFC 162's “Fight of the Night.” Swanson currently sits at No. 4 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chad Mendes)

view original article >>

Related News

  • 22 days ago
  • 60 views

UFC 176 received a huge blow tonight as Featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled title defense against Chad Mendes in the main event. More bad Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) news. UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo has suffered an injury and will be unable to defend his 145-pound title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176, which takes place at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 2, 2014. No official statement was released from the promotion y more

  • 18 days ago
  • 56 views

LAS VEGAS – UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo’s injury won’t keep him from a rematch with No. 1 contender Chad Mendes.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 16 days ago
  • 44 views

After losing its main event, UFC 176 has been officially "postponed," though realistically, it has been cancelled. Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole first reported the news, and the UFC has subsequently confirmed it: The UFC® has announced that the UFC 176 Pay-Per-View event scheduled for August 2nd will be postponed. The featherweight championship fight between Aldo and Mendes is expected to take place later this year and all other fights previously slated for UFC 176 are being rescheduled for upcoming more

  • 16 days ago
  • 49 views

UFC chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta joined Fox Sports Live on Tuesday to explain the UFC 176 cancellation, providing a new target date for Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes II. more

  • 10 days ago
  • 37 views

During a Monday appearance on the Sherdog Radio Network’s ”Beatdown” show, Chad Mendes weighed in on what he really thought caused UFC 176 to be postponed. more

  • 16 days ago
  • 45 views

Chad Mendes discusses Jose Aldo pulling out of UFC 176 and where he goes from here. more

  • 16 days ago
  • 50 views

"Money" may get the title fight he wants with (or without) Aldo after UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta declared that the promotion would consider the possibility of an interim featherweight title fight if "Junior" isn't cleared by October. Chad Mendes' hopes of getting his revenge on Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion Jose Aldo were delayed after an injury to "Junior" forced a cancellation of their rematch; which was set to go down at UFC 176 on Aug. 2, 2014 in Los Angeles, Cali more

  • 15 days ago
  • 38 views

Chad Mendes isn't holding back his words in the wake of the news that his rematch with UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo Jr. has been postponed. "Jose Aldo can't run from me forever," The Team Alpha Male fighter said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "This fight's going to happen and I'm going to take the belt from him." This isn't the first time Aldo has postponed a fight with Mendes. Aldo also postponed their first fight, which eventually ended up taking place at UFC 142. So with Aldo pu more

  • 14 days ago
  • 62 views

Shots fired. Jose Aldo was not happy to hear what Chad Mendes had to say about him. In a recent interview to The MMA Hour, Mendes said the UFC featherweight champion "can’t run forever" after the cancellation of their rematch at UFC 176. Aldo, who decided not to do any interviews after he got injured and was forced out of the Aug. 2 card, decided to fire back. The Nova Uniao talent sent a statement to Combate, calling Mendes a "pu--y" and accusing him of taking illegal substances. "Maybe I have more