davidRickelsBellator MMA’s David “The Caveman” Rickels earned a lightweight title fight with champion Michael Chandler by winning the Bellator Season 8 Lightweight Tournament.  He defeated Lloyd Woodard, Jason Fischer and Saad Awad to get to the title fight, but an Independence Day firework accident nearly caused his championship aspirations to go up in flames.

“I nearly blew up my hand on the Fourth of July.  It didn’t affect my training at all.  Everything is great, but I had a big open wound on my hand, and I had to be really careful as far as not getting infected,” Rickels told MMAWeekly.com.  “I’ve done a really good job, surprisingly.  I’ve got a resilient body and I’m feeling great going into this fight.”

“I was lighting another one and the spark jumped over into the one in my hand and blew up.  It was a really weird deal.  It was a freak accident that could have cost me my damn hand let alone my title fight,” he explained.

At first, Rickels didn’t know how much damage the firework caused, but his first thoughts were that it wasn’t good.

“I said holy (expletive).  I was like, how am I going to explain this?  I didn’t know how bad it was because it was really dark and I couldn’t see anything.  I could feel my finger, so I was like, okay, that’s there at least,” he said. “I had a really nasty blister, open wound for about a week and a half or two weeks.  It healed up great and maybe I won’t be playing with fireworks this close to a fight next time.”

With the near disaster avoided, Rickels focused on Michael Chandler and winning the lightweight belt.

“I look at Michael, I see his skill strengths and I respect all of my opponents, what they’re good at.  But really, I think I’m just the kind of fighter that I kind of match-up well with almost anybody because I feel like I’m well-rounded to find an opening, find a way,” he said.

“That’s what I aim to do to Michael Chandler in this fight, hopefully land that right hand, hopefully land that elbow, set up that triangle, hit a sweep.  I just feel good.  I feel like I’m tough enough everywhere that I can give him a great fight, give the fans a great fight and pull off the victory, pull off the upset,” added the 24-year-old fighter.

Rickels has been with Bellator MMA since 2011.  He’s competed in two Bellator tournaments and has nine fights with the organization.  He’ll compete for his first Bellator title at Bellator 97 on July 31 against Chandler and winning the title would mean a great deal, but most of all it would give Rickels the recognition he believes he deserves.

“It would mean absolutely the world to me.  It would put me on that stage that I really believe I belong to.  I believe I’m an upper-tier fighter, top 25 in the world type of fighter, so I’d really like to be able to feel that too.  I think the Bellator Lightweight Championship shows that caliber of fighter,” he said.

Josh Thomson Injury Forces Cancellation of Bellator 154 Bout with Michael Chandler

The highly anticipated co-main event of “Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo” between Josh Thomson and Michael Chandler has been cancelled. read news >>

Michael Chandler Will Battle Patricky Pitbull for Vacant Bellator Lightweight Title

Following the release of former lightweight champion Will Brooks, Bellator officials quickly followed up with an announcement to fill the vacancy. read news >>

Bellator Lightweight Champ Will Brooks Released, Fight for Vacant Title Booked

The Bellator lightweight championship will not be vacant for very long, with the announcement that two familiar names will face off for the strap in June. During Saturday night's broadcast, the promo read news >>

Phil Davis vs. King Mo: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 154

Phil Davis won a controversial unanimous decision over Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in the main event at Bellator 154 in San Jose, California, on Saturday. The fight was close, and either man could have read news >>

Bellator to Institute Jordan Parsons Memorial Scholarship Fund

With the newly-announced Jordan Parsons Scholarship Fund, Bellator will annually send a young wrestler to "The J Robinson Intensive Wrestling Camp." read news >>

Bellator 154 Results: Phil Davis Top King Mo to Earn Light Heavyweight Title Shot

Phil Davis got the nod over King Mo Lawal at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, earning a shot at light heavyweight champion Liam McGeary. read news >>

Is New Free Agent Will Brooks a Good Addition to Stacked UFC Lightweight Roster?

Will Brooks has been released by Bellator. But this isn't just any release. Brooks was Bellator's reigning lightweight champion. The 29-year-old hasn't lost in more than three years. Bleacher Report read news >>

Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo Video Highlights

Check out all the action from Bellator 154 including, top two Light Heavyweight fighters, Phil Davis and King Mo, face-off to be the no. 1 contender and get a shot at the title. read news >>

Bellator 154 Fighter Salaries: Phil Davis and King Mo Top List with $30,000 Each

Phil Davis won the fight at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, but it was a draw on the payroll. read news >>

Despite Loss of Title Bout, Marloes Coenen Eager to Fight at Bellator 155

Despite seeing her featherweight title shot fall to the wayside, Marloes Coenen is eager to get in the cage at fight at Bellator 155 on Friday. read news >>