Geronimo dos Santos will have to wait a little longer to make his UFC debut.

Promotion officials announced Thursday that “Mondragon” has been forced to pull out of his planned UFC 153 scrap against fellow heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga, though a reason for the Brazilian’s withdrawal was not revealed. It is currently unknown if Gonzaga will remain on the bill.

UFC 153 takes place Oct. 13 at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro and will see UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva temporarily move up to 205 pounds to meet “Ultimate Fighter” Season 1 finalist Stephan Bonnar in the evening’s headliner. The show’s pay-per-view card will also showcase a heavyweight confrontation between former Pride Fighting Championships titlist Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Dave Herman, as well as a pivotal welterweight collision pitting highly-regarded veteran Jon Fitch against surging Brazilian prospect Erick Silva.

Dos Santos, 32, has emerged victorious in each of his last 10 outings, most recently knocking out Rodrigo da Silva in March and Eduardo Maiorino in May under the Max Fight banner in Brazil. “Mondragon” has finished 29 of his 31 career victims, earning 20 of those wins via form of knockout.

Gonzaga, 33, made his UFC return in January following a two-year Octagon absence, submitting countryman Ednaldo Oliveira with a first-round rear-naked choke at UFC 142. “Napao” previously contended for the UFC heavyweight title in 2007, falling by third-round technical knockout to then-champion Randy Couture at UFC 74.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

With military service planned, 2017 could be Bellator 165 headliner Benson Henderson's final year

  • 15 days ago
  • 29 views

Bellator lightweight title challenger Benson Henderson turned 33 just two days shy of the 10-year anniversary of his first professional MMA fight. This birthday is a little more significant than othe read news >>

Neil Seery's UFC Belfast Retirement Fight Canceled | MMAWeekly.com

  • 14 days ago
  • 10 views

Dubliner Neil Seery has had his retirement fight, planned for Saturday's UFC Fight Night 99 in Belfast, Northern Ireland, canceled. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99's Teruto Ishihara explains why he no longer calls fans his '(expletives)'

  • 13 days ago
  • 11 views

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Teruto Ishihara is his typical jovial self ahead of UFC Fight Night 99 – except with one noticeable difference.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Mousasi vs. Hall 2

  • 13 days ago
  • 13 views

Gegard Mousasi no longer has to deal with the ghost of his past after avenging his loss to Uriah Hall on Saturday in Belfast, Northern Ireland at UFC Fight Night 99. Mousasi wasn't a crowd favorite g read news >>

Ahead of Bellator 166 rematch, Joe Warren says champ Eduardo Dantas no longer the same

  • 8 days ago
  • 12 views

Joe Warren has won a belt over Eduardo Dantas before. As he prepares to try to do it again, he said he’s facing a more point-oriented foe, not the “the tough fighter that’s running across the cage tr read news >>

Fabricio Werdum No Longer Happy Fighting for UFC | MMAWeekly.com

  • 3 days ago
  • 388 views

The rift between Fabricio Werdum and the UFC appears to be appears to be widening, as the former champion is no longer happy with the organization. read news >>

Patrick Cummins Withdraws from UFC Albany Bout with Gian Villante | MMAWeekly.com

  • 17 hours ago
  • 9 views

Patrick Cummins announced on Friday that he has withdrawn from his scheduled fight with Gian Villante. read news >>