With his stoppage of Jussier da Silva in October, John Dodson earned a flyweight title shot against champion Demetrious Johnson and he’s already begun preparing for it, according to Greg Jackson.

The trainer recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show and discussed Dodson, Diego Brandao and more.

On Dodson’s focus on Johnson: “He’s already studying film and tape. We were talking about ideas today, and we don’t even have a date set yet. He’s just that excited. I think he really, really kind of took the next step of professionalism.”

On Dodson’s finish of da Silva and his progression: “I think that’s just the evolution of John. He needed more confidence and he has that. He needed more technique and he has that. I think that’s a growing process.”

On Diego Brandao’s win Saturday over Joey Gambino: “What we really worked on was pacing himself, relaxing, throwing short, hard combinations. Things that he didn’t do in his last fight that actually cost him that fight, that while he didn’t do them perfectly, he certainly took a big step up in what he needed to do.”

On Brandao’s improvement: “The thing about fighting is a lot of it’s experience-based. In others words, you have to have the experience of making it 15 minutes, of staying calm. … It’s so much about experience, about having done it before, learning to compete and learning how to do it right. That’s what we’re trying to do [with Brandao], is get him to learn to compete the right way, to fight the right way.”

On Magomed Saadulaev, who fights Dave Jansen on Friday at Bellator 77: “I’ll tell you several things about him. One is, he is amazing. He wrestles extremely well. His grappling is extremely good. His kickboxing is very deceptive. He’s one of these … fighters from the former Soviet Union. There’s so many of them. He comes from Dagestan himself, but there’s a lot of them coming from around that region that are just phenomenal athletes and very, very tough guys. I’m really privileged that I get to train him. This guy, he’s something special. He’s a great, great fighter and you should definitely tune in.”

On working with Saadulaev: “It’s kind of our first camp together. I’m just trying to augment what he already has, and kind of as I learn about him and as I see what his utility is and I see in each area where I can be the most effective in helping him out, a lot of what I first try to do is shore up his strengths. Making sure that he has very good pressure, that he understands ranges. Kind of making sure he has all of the basics very, very solid, in a way that I would like. Then from there, the next couple of fights we’ll probably be taking the next step into opening up his arsenal a little bit more. But he is very, very good in all positions of grappling and just phenomenal at wrestling, and like I said, great kickboxing. I’m just really excited to be in his corner. I’m excited to see what he can do. It’s one of those fights that’s really got me up. There’s kind of this bevy of Russian fighters coming in and they’re all really good, and I’m excited by it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:03:39).

TUF 24 to Feature 16 Champions Vying for a Shot at Demetrious Johnson

The Ultimate Fighter 24 will feature 16 flyweight champions from other promotions around the world. read news >>

Leslie Smith ‘Pissed as Hell’ About the Stoppage in Cris Cyborg Fight at UFC 198

Leslie Smith is 'pissed as hell' about the referee stoppage in her UFC 198 catchweight bout against Cris Cyorg. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has agreed to a new eight-fight contract with UFC, ensuring he'll continue his dominant title run with the company. As shared by Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com read news >>

Flyweight Champ Demetrious Johnson Inks New 8-Fight UFC Deal

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has signed a new, eight-fight deal with the UFC. The 29-year-old broke the news on Monday during an appearance on The MMA Hour. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Greg Jackson: Fighters like Duquesnoy "don't come along everyday" - MMA Plus

Greg Jackson spoke highly of the new BAMMA two-weight champion Tom Duquesnoy, calling him 'something special' after his Bantamweight title win at BAMMA 25. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson to Make Surprise Title Defense at UFC 201 in Atlanta

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has his next title defense set for UFC 201 in Atlanta. read news >>

Rousimar Palhares, Mayhem Miller Both Lose by Stoppage at Minor MMA Event

Rousimar Palhares, the notorious submission grappler banned by both the UFC and World Series of Fighting, lost by first-round knockout Saturday at Venator FC 3, a small MMA promotion based in Italy. read news >>

Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson, and Conor McGregor Make SI’s Top 50 Fittest Male Athletes

Sports Illustrated released their list of the top 50 fittest male athletes, and three UFC fighters made the cut, including Jon Jones, who cracked the top five. read news >>

Paige VanZant Lands Role in New Kickboxer Feature Film

Following her stint on Dancing With The Stars, Paige VanZant will make her feature film debut in "Kickboxer: Retaliation." read news >>