Gilbert Melendez Strikefore20_PostGilbert Melendez waited patiently for years to finally compete in the UFC and prove whether or not he was indeed the best 155-pound fighter in the world.

He finally got that opportunity on Saturday when he faced UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in the UFC on Fox 7 main event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Melendez set the pace early, while the middle rounds went to Henderson.  Melendez battled back, winning the final round on two of the three cageside judges’ scorecards, but it wasn’t enough.  Henderson was declared the winner by split decision, although Melendez felt he did enough to win the fight.

“It was a tough fight.  I really thought I got (rounds) one, two, lost three, four.  I thought I definitely did enough to win the fifth, and I thought I won three to two,” said Melendez following the loss during the UFC Post Show on Fuel TV.

As the scores were being read, Melendez expected to have his hand raised.

“I really thought so.  He walked forward.  I walked forward.  When I walked forward I think I did bigger attacks, and I thought I landed cleaner punches.  He hit me, but they were all on the forehead.  I left him pretty bloody, I think.  He has some really good kicks.  Again, I thought I won (rounds) one, two.  I can see him winning the three and four, but I thought I came strong in the fifth and stole the fight,” he said.

“I’ve got to watch the tape.  Benson is a stud.  He’s a tricky guy to hit.  He’s very tough to hit,” said Melendez about the champion.

Melendez is left pondering the what-ifs now, what could have been.

“It was my chance to try and take it more and I didn’t.  I just felt like I had the first two rounds, and I felt like I kind of kept it in the bank for the fifth.  That was the game plan.  I knew I lost the third and the fourth.  I really saved it for the fifth.  I felt like I looked tired in the fourth, but I thought I looked way more energetic in the fifth, and I thought he looked a lot more tired,” he said.

“I’m just heartbroken right now.”

Brock Lesnar Video: ‘I’m Jacked. Deal With It.”

Prior to UFC 200, Brock Lesnar was asked how he felt about steroid accusations and Hunt saying he was juicing. As usual, Lesnar didn't mince words. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Cat Zingano – Warrior Code

Women's bantamweight contender Cat Zingano shares what her first UFC walkout felt like and more while discussing her Warrior Code. read news >>

Dana White Reportedly Under a Five-Year Deal to do “More Work” for New UFC Owners

Thought UFC president Dana White will receive a windfall when the UFC sale closes, his role within the company will expand following the sale. read news >>

Patricio ‘Pitbull’ Freire Faces Benson Henderson in Top-Contender Bout at Bellator 160

Patricio Pitbull is actively seeking revenge for his brother Patricky after Bellator’s new 155-pound kingpin Michael Chandler brutally finished the elder Freire. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Road to the Octagon: Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza

Go inside the lives and training camps of former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez and versatile striker Edson Barboza. read news >>

Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC on Fox 20 has a lightweight co-main event that fans will be standing to watch. The human highlight reel that is Edson Barboza (17-4) takes on the returning Gilbert Melendez (22-5) in Chicago. Bar read news >>

Gilbert Melendez on The Diaz Brothers: ‘Hate Them or Love Them, You’ve Got to Respect Them’ (Video)

Lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez talks about the roots of his training camp, specifically his teammates Nate and Nick Diaz and what it's like to train with the two. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Results: Edson Barboza Kicks His Way to Decision Win Over Gilbert Melendez

Sixth-ranked lightweight Edson Barboza put on a leg kick clinic in the UFC on Fox 20 co-main event on Saturday, defeating former title contender Gilbert Melendez. read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Video Highlights: Edson Barboza’s Win Over Gilbert Melendez

Check out the highlights as lightweight contenders Edson Barobza and Gilbert Melendez squared off in the UFC on Fox 20 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox

At UFC on Fox 20 in Chicago, No. 6 lightweight Edson Barboza (18-4) took a unanimous decision over former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (22-6). Barboza's vicious kicks to the legs read news >>