Gilbert Melendez Strikefore20_PostGilbert Melendez waited patiently for years to finally compete in the UFC and prove whether or not he was indeed the best 155-pound fighter in the world.

He finally got that opportunity on Saturday when he faced UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in the UFC on Fox 7 main event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Melendez set the pace early, while the middle rounds went to Henderson.  Melendez battled back, winning the final round on two of the three cageside judges’ scorecards, but it wasn’t enough.  Henderson was declared the winner by split decision, although Melendez felt he did enough to win the fight.

“It was a tough fight.  I really thought I got (rounds) one, two, lost three, four.  I thought I definitely did enough to win the fifth, and I thought I won three to two,” said Melendez following the loss during the UFC Post Show on Fuel TV.

As the scores were being read, Melendez expected to have his hand raised.

“I really thought so.  He walked forward.  I walked forward.  When I walked forward I think I did bigger attacks, and I thought I landed cleaner punches.  He hit me, but they were all on the forehead.  I left him pretty bloody, I think.  He has some really good kicks.  Again, I thought I won (rounds) one, two.  I can see him winning the three and four, but I thought I came strong in the fifth and stole the fight,” he said.

“I’ve got to watch the tape.  Benson is a stud.  He’s a tricky guy to hit.  He’s very tough to hit,” said Melendez about the champion.

Melendez is left pondering the what-ifs now, what could have been.

“It was my chance to try and take it more and I didn’t.  I just felt like I had the first two rounds, and I felt like I kind of kept it in the bank for the fifth.  That was the game plan.  I knew I lost the third and the fourth.  I really saved it for the fifth.  I felt like I looked tired in the fourth, but I thought I looked way more energetic in the fifth, and I thought he looked a lot more tired,” he said.

“I’m just heartbroken right now.”

Amanda Nunes Makes Easy Work of Ronda Rousey (UFC 207 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

How did Amanda Nunes so easily defeat Ronda Rousey? Miesha Tate, Michael Bisping and Kenny Florian break down the big fight. read news >>

Watch Joe Lauzon Make Quick Work of Diego Sanchez at UFC 200 (Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Joe Lauzon defeat Diego Sanchez at UFC 200. Lauzon takes on Marcin Held in the co-main event at UFC Fight Night 103 in Phoenix. read news >>

UFC 207: On Fight Night, Cody Garbrandt Finds the Answer to Dominick Cruz's Talk

Dominick Cruz thought he had Cody Garbrandt beat before the two men even stepped in the cage at UFC 207. Stunningly, however, it was Garbrandt who turned out to have all the answers once the talking read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey, Amanda Nunes After UFC 207

UFC boss Dana White insisted Ronda Rousey has been left “devastated” after her brutal defeat against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Making her long-awaited return to the Octagon, Rousey was pu read news >>

Watch Valentina Shevchenko Defeat Sarah Kaufman (UFC Denver Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Before she takes on Juliana Pena at UFC on FOX 23 in Denver, check out Valentina Shevchenko's win over Sarah Kaufman. read news >>

Gegard Mousasi heads to Chris Weidman's New York turf for UFC 210 fight in Buffalo

Gegard Mousasi thought he knew the likeliest scenario for his next assignment, and he was right. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2366 with Gilbert Melendez

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guest Gilbert Melendez.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Stephen Thompson Thought He Won 3 of 5 Rounds in First Tyron Woodley Fight (Video)

• a day ago

Welterweight title challenger Stephen Thompson felt that he won three of the five rounds against champion Tyron Woodley at UFC 205. They rematch at UFC 209. read news >>

Watch Julianna Pena Finish Jessica Rakoczy with 1 Second Left (UFC Denver Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Watch Julianna Pena defeat Jessica Rakoczy to win The Ultimate Fighter Season 18. read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET): UFC featherweight and ex-Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Gilbert Melendez.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>