Georges St. Pierre thinks Nick Diaz should reconsider his decision to retire from MMA. | Photo: Sherdog.com


UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre doesn’t want Nick Diaz to walk away from MMA.

Immediately after his loss to Carlos Condit on Saturday at UFC 143, Diaz said in the Octagon that he would not fight again. St. Pierre doesn’t exactly like the outspoken welterweight, but he doesn’t think he should retire.

“As far as Diaz, of course I would like to fight him because he thinks he’s better than me,” St. Pierre told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “I think I’m better than him. But I think he should not retire. He did all of the sacrifice in his life to be where he’s at right now. He’s at the highest point of his career, and if he retires now, he’s left a lot of money on the table that could pay for all of the sacrifices he has made during all those years. I think the sport of mixed martial arts needs a guy like him.”

Condit defeated Diaz via unanimous decision -- a call that Diaz clearly disagreed with. St. Pierre watched the bout but didn’t score it. He complimented both fighters, and although he hoped to fight Diaz, he now wants to take on Condit.

“Of course because of the emotion I wanted to fight Diaz, but now I want to fight Condit,” St. Pierre said. “I want to fight the best man, and the best man is Condit.”

That doesn’t mean St. Pierre isn’t open to a meeting with Diaz down the line, though, should Diaz decide to stick around.

“I wanted to fight him because of what he was, not because of what he said,” St. Pierre explained. “He was ranked No. 1 before that fight. … As much as we dislike each other, I like the guy in a way that I need a guy like him to motivate me and to make me a better martial artist.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:14).

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

NSAC meets Tuesday, Wanderlei Silva and Nick Diaz on agenda

  • 26 days ago
  • 41 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will meet next week, and one of their most controversial decisions in recent memory could be altered.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

  • 24 days ago
  • 31 views

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz Gets Drastically Reduced Suspension in NAC Settlement

  • 24 days ago
  • 14 views

Nick Diaz's case was back before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday due to a possible settlement agreement with the commission in regard to the fighter's five-year suspension and $165,000 fine read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 24 days ago
  • 9 views

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

  • 24 days ago
  • 49 views

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Nick Diaz UFC 183 Settlement Agreement and Supporting Documents

  • 23 days ago
  • 7 views

Here is the Nick Diaz and Nevada Athletic Commission settlement, and Diaz's declaration that he wrongfully pleaded the fifth amendment. read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

  • 23 days ago
  • 18 views

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Nick Diaz settlement spurred by admission he wrongly pled Fifth Amendment

  • 23 days ago
  • 16 views

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz had to admit he wrongly invoked the Fifth Amendment as part of a settlement he recently reached with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Nick Diaz rematching UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler? It's possible

  • 23 days ago
  • 33 views

Nick Diaz will be cleared to fight in August after reaching a settlement that saw his five-year suspension reduced to 18 months, and when he does return, another UFC title shot could be in the offing read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

  • 20 days ago
  • 18 views

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>