Georges St. Pierre thinks Nick Diaz should reconsider his decision to retire from MMA. | Photo:

UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre doesn’t want Nick Diaz to walk away from MMA.

Immediately after his loss to Carlos Condit on Saturday at UFC 143, Diaz said in the Octagon that he would not fight again. St. Pierre doesn’t exactly like the outspoken welterweight, but he doesn’t think he should retire.

“As far as Diaz, of course I would like to fight him because he thinks he’s better than me,” St. Pierre told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “I think I’m better than him. But I think he should not retire. He did all of the sacrifice in his life to be where he’s at right now. He’s at the highest point of his career, and if he retires now, he’s left a lot of money on the table that could pay for all of the sacrifices he has made during all those years. I think the sport of mixed martial arts needs a guy like him.”

Condit defeated Diaz via unanimous decision -- a call that Diaz clearly disagreed with. St. Pierre watched the bout but didn’t score it. He complimented both fighters, and although he hoped to fight Diaz, he now wants to take on Condit.

“Of course because of the emotion I wanted to fight Diaz, but now I want to fight Condit,” St. Pierre said. “I want to fight the best man, and the best man is Condit.”

That doesn’t mean St. Pierre isn’t open to a meeting with Diaz down the line, though, should Diaz decide to stick around.

“I wanted to fight him because of what he was, not because of what he said,” St. Pierre explained. “He was ranked No. 1 before that fight. … As much as we dislike each other, I like the guy in a way that I need a guy like him to motivate me and to make me a better martial artist.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:14).

MMA community reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, five-year suspension

Nick Diaz received a five-year suspended and $165,000 fine for failed drug tests around his UFC 183 bout with Anderson Silva. The outrage to Diaz’s punishment was united throughout the MMA community. read news >>

Nick Diaz Escapes Lifetime Ban, Handed Five-Year Suspension Over Positive Pot Result

Narrowly escaping a lifetime ban, we still may have seen the last of Nick Diaz in the Octagon, after he was handed a five-year suspension for a positive drug test. read news >>

Nick Diaz Suspended 5 Years for Failed Drug Tests: Latest Details and Reaction

UFC fighter Nick Diaz has been fined $165,000 and suspended for five years by the Nevada State Athletic Commission because of multiple failed drug tests. USA Today's John Morgan reported the news Mon read news >>

Open Letter to the NSAC concerning the hearing of Nick Diaz

Connor Ruebusch of Bloody Elbow pens an open letter to the heads of the Commission that suspended UFC fighter Nick Diaz for a failed test for marijuana. To Whom It May Concern, I followed Nick Diaz's read news >>

NSAC suspends Nick Diaz five years, $165k fine

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today handed down its harshest punishment on a fighter to date, suspending Nick Diaz for five years following his positive UFC 183 marijuana test.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Pro fighters react to Nick Diaz's suspension by the NAC

The NAC's five-year suspension of Nick Diaz surprised the MMA world. Check out their reaction below. 5years for smoking a natural plant.. Then all the juice heads get a slap on the wrist. #seriousbro read news >>

VIDEO: Nick Diaz Pleads 5th Amendment Over UFC 183 Drug Test Positive for Marijuana

UFC fighter Nick Diaz went before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday to address positive drug test results for marijuana metabolites at UFC 183. read news >>

Nick Diaz suspended five years for failed UFC 183 drug test

In a shocking decision, the Nevada Athletic Commission voted Monday to place Nick Diaz on a five-year suspension for a failed UFC 183 drug test for marijuana metabolites. The verdict was passed unani read news >>

Nick Diaz fined $165,000, suspended five years by NSAC for UFC 183 positive drug test

Team Diaz, however, is likely to appeal. Might wanna pump the brakes on that Anderson Silva rematch. Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) summoned Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight read news >>

Diaz suspended 5 years for marijuana use at UFC 183

The NAC hands Nick Diaz a suspension of 5 years as well as 33% of his $500,000 purse, in a heated disciplinary meeting. In a lengthy NAC hearing that spanned over three hours, Nick Diaz was handed a read news >>