Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.

St-Pierre’s letter of support for Jimmy Cournoyer became public this past week, linking one of MMA’s cleanest-cut stars to the drug trafficker.

However, St-Pierre said he was unaware of Cournoyer’s crimes until his arrest and that he doesn’t “condone any of his criminal actions.” However, the Canadian fighter said “I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty.”

Cournoyer, who struck up a friendship with St-Pierre in 2009 thanks to their mutual admiration of martial arts, recently pled guilty in the U.S. on a number of trafficking charges for marijuana (earning him the nickname the “King of Pot”) and cocaine. As part of a plea deal, he also admitted to money laundering and taking part in a conspiracy from 1998-2012.

Cournoyer, 34, will be sentenced on Aug. 20.

Check out St-Pierre’s letter above, or read the full text here:

June 29, 2014

A letter I signed in support of my friend Jimmy Cournoyer, who has recently pleased guilty to a number of drug traffic-related crimes in the U.S., has generated a great deal of controversy over the last few days.

First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake – my mistake. I will not go into detail as to why and how the letter came about because it’s not going to right a wrong. I simply wanted to help repatriate Jimmy to a Canadian prison, closer to his family, if that was possible.

My friendship with Jimmy is based on our mutual passion for martial arts and going to the gym. I was not aware of Jimmy’s crimes until he was arrested by the U.S. authorities. I do not condone any of his criminal actions. He will and should pay for his actions. My position against the use of drugs has been on record for years, and speaks for itself.

I have been to visit Jimmy in prison – twice so far. We also had many conversations since his arrest. Why? Because I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty. I will continue to support him – as a friend. In fact, if Jimmy leaves prison one day, I should be there to help him start over in a better way.

I want to unconditionally apologize to those who have been offended by my actions. But I often say that the wheel of life turns and turns, causing ups and down for each of us. I was also taught that a real friend is there to offer support at the best and the worst of times.

Sincerely,
George St-Pierre

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), the UFC’s former longtime welterweight champion, vacated his title and announced a break from competition following a November title win over Johny Hendricks. In March, he said a torn ACL would likely keep him out of action until 2015.

The UFC recently announced a December event intended to take place in Montreal, St-Pierre’s current home, has instead been pushed back to March 2015. A new location hasn’t been announced for the card, UFC 181, which takes place Dec. 6.

For more on the organization’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Report: Croatian outlet claims Mirko Filipovic never failed drug test, yet suspension stands

Croatian media outlet Vecernji reports that Mirko Filipovic, the man best known as “Cro Cop,” never actually tested positive for any banned substances, but that won’t change anything regarding the le read news >>

Cro Cop Reportedly Never Failed UFC Drug Test, but Remains Suspended

Mirko Cro Cop became the first UFC fighter sanctioned under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy despite never testing positive. He will, however, remain suspended. read news >>

Fans invited to Friday's UFC Fight Night 81 workouts, Saturday's weigh-ins in Boston

Fans who will be in New England for the UFC’s return to Boston will have some opportunities to get up close and personal with fighters on Sunday’s card. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: 'UFC Fight Night 81 Embedded' T.J. Dillashaw vs. Dominick Cruz segment

Ahead of Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 event, officials have released a special edition of “Embedded.” Check out the segment devoted to the headliner.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: 'UFC Fight Night 81 Embedded' Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez segment

Ahead of Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 event, officials have released a special edition of “Embedded.” Check out the segment devoted to the co-headliner.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bodycam footage: UFC fighter Julianna Pena drunkenly explains self before arrest

Bodycam footage released by the Spokane City (Wash.) Police Department captured “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner Julianna Pena’s rough night after getting booted out of a bar.Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Attorney: Following public apology, Wanderlei Silva released from UFC contract

The UFC on Wednesday released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the industry-leader, freeing him to fight for other promoters, the fighter’s longtime attorney today told MMAjunkie.Filed under: F read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Reportedly Released from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Reaction

Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie.com reported Thursday the UFC released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the company.The news coincides with Silva recanting his previous claim this past summer that read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Retracts UFC Fight-Fixing Statements, Reportedly Released from Contract

While Wanderlei Silva awaits resolution over his lifetime ban handed down by the Nevada Athletic Commission, it appears that he is close to being free of the UFC. read news >>

Fans invited to next month's Bellator Fan Fest with Angle, Ortiz, Couture, more

Bellator heads to Houston for next month’s “tentpole event.” Beforehand, fans can get up close and personal with some MMA legends.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>