Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.

St-Pierre’s letter of support for Jimmy Cournoyer became public this past week, linking one of MMA’s cleanest-cut stars to the drug trafficker.

However, St-Pierre said he was unaware of Cournoyer’s crimes until his arrest and that he doesn’t “condone any of his criminal actions.” However, the Canadian fighter said “I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty.”

Cournoyer, who struck up a friendship with St-Pierre in 2009 thanks to their mutual admiration of martial arts, recently pled guilty in the U.S. on a number of trafficking charges for marijuana (earning him the nickname the “King of Pot”) and cocaine. As part of a plea deal, he also admitted to money laundering and taking part in a conspiracy from 1998-2012.

Cournoyer, 34, will be sentenced on Aug. 20.

Check out St-Pierre’s letter above, or read the full text here:

June 29, 2014

A letter I signed in support of my friend Jimmy Cournoyer, who has recently pleased guilty to a number of drug traffic-related crimes in the U.S., has generated a great deal of controversy over the last few days.

First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake – my mistake. I will not go into detail as to why and how the letter came about because it’s not going to right a wrong. I simply wanted to help repatriate Jimmy to a Canadian prison, closer to his family, if that was possible.

My friendship with Jimmy is based on our mutual passion for martial arts and going to the gym. I was not aware of Jimmy’s crimes until he was arrested by the U.S. authorities. I do not condone any of his criminal actions. He will and should pay for his actions. My position against the use of drugs has been on record for years, and speaks for itself.

I have been to visit Jimmy in prison – twice so far. We also had many conversations since his arrest. Why? Because I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty. I will continue to support him – as a friend. In fact, if Jimmy leaves prison one day, I should be there to help him start over in a better way.

I want to unconditionally apologize to those who have been offended by my actions. But I often say that the wheel of life turns and turns, causing ups and down for each of us. I was also taught that a real friend is there to offer support at the best and the worst of times.

Sincerely,
George St-Pierre

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), the UFC’s former longtime welterweight champion, vacated his title and announced a break from competition following a November title win over Johny Hendricks. In March, he said a torn ACL would likely keep him out of action until 2015.

The UFC recently announced a December event intended to take place in Montreal, St-Pierre’s current home, has instead been pushed back to March 2015. A new location hasn’t been announced for the card, UFC 181, which takes place Dec. 6.

For more on the organization’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Rob Lisita Looking to Crush Ev Ting and Steal His Fans

Rob Lisita has been fighting some of the top featherweights, but will be up against a more familiar foe at ONE: Unbreakable Warriors on Friday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93: What's Troubling Alexander Gustafsson?

This summer has been bittersweet for Canadian music fans. Yes, that’s an odd place to start in discussing a Swedish mixed martial artist, but give it a second. One of the greatest rock bands the coun read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Predictions: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Picks

Welcome once again, fight fans, to Germany (or Deutschland, as it's also known). On Saturday, the UFC will host UFC Fight Night 93, its fourth event in Germany and first in the city of Hamburg. In th read news >>

UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>

Exclusive Pics: Conor McGregor filming for Call Of Duty

In recent years Call of Duty, the multi-billion dollar franchise, have moved to align themselves with some of the biggest stars in the world. In 2014 it was multiple-Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey read news >>

VIDEO: CM Punk Asks Reporter to Feel Him Up, Gets Shot Down

It seems CM Punk can't find anyone that'll support him. In fact, even when he's offering for people to reach out and touch him, it ain't happening. read news >>

Pimblett: “I’ll be remembered as Cage Warriors 145 Champ, Not McGregor”

MMA fans from all over Europe have been clamoring for Paddy ‘The Baddy’ Pimblett’s UFC debut ever since he launched a tirade at Conor McGregor during a post-fight interview after securing a regional read news >>

Cody Garbrandt UFC 203 Q&A Video Replay | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated bantamweight Cody Garbrandt fielded questions from the fans in Cleveland prior to the UFC 203 weigh-in on Friday at Quicken Loans Arena. read news >>

Urijah Faber vs. Jimmie Rivera Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

Win or lose, Urijah Faber was going to give fans something to be sad about at UFC 203. The California Kid is officially the California Middle-Aged Man at this point, and while fighters such as Dan He read news >>

Stipe Miocic Rejects Alistair Overeem's Claim That He Tapped (UFC 203 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Stipe Miocic briefly addresses Alistair Overeem's claim that he felt that Miocic tapped during their fight at UFC 203. read news >>