Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.

St-Pierre’s letter of support for Jimmy Cournoyer became public this past week, linking one of MMA’s cleanest-cut stars to the drug trafficker.

However, St-Pierre said he was unaware of Cournoyer’s crimes until his arrest and that he doesn’t “condone any of his criminal actions.” However, the Canadian fighter said “I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty.”

Cournoyer, who struck up a friendship with St-Pierre in 2009 thanks to their mutual admiration of martial arts, recently pled guilty in the U.S. on a number of trafficking charges for marijuana (earning him the nickname the “King of Pot”) and cocaine. As part of a plea deal, he also admitted to money laundering and taking part in a conspiracy from 1998-2012.

Cournoyer, 34, will be sentenced on Aug. 20.

Check out St-Pierre’s letter above, or read the full text here:

June 29, 2014

A letter I signed in support of my friend Jimmy Cournoyer, who has recently pleased guilty to a number of drug traffic-related crimes in the U.S., has generated a great deal of controversy over the last few days.

First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake – my mistake. I will not go into detail as to why and how the letter came about because it’s not going to right a wrong. I simply wanted to help repatriate Jimmy to a Canadian prison, closer to his family, if that was possible.

My friendship with Jimmy is based on our mutual passion for martial arts and going to the gym. I was not aware of Jimmy’s crimes until he was arrested by the U.S. authorities. I do not condone any of his criminal actions. He will and should pay for his actions. My position against the use of drugs has been on record for years, and speaks for itself.

I have been to visit Jimmy in prison – twice so far. We also had many conversations since his arrest. Why? Because I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty. I will continue to support him – as a friend. In fact, if Jimmy leaves prison one day, I should be there to help him start over in a better way.

I want to unconditionally apologize to those who have been offended by my actions. But I often say that the wheel of life turns and turns, causing ups and down for each of us. I was also taught that a real friend is there to offer support at the best and the worst of times.

Sincerely,
George St-Pierre

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), the UFC’s former longtime welterweight champion, vacated his title and announced a break from competition following a November title win over Johny Hendricks. In March, he said a torn ACL would likely keep him out of action until 2015.

The UFC recently announced a December event intended to take place in Montreal, St-Pierre’s current home, has instead been pushed back to March 2015. A new location hasn’t been announced for the card, UFC 181, which takes place Dec. 6.

For more on the organization’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Urijah Faber Big Supporter of the New Drug Testing and Weight Cutting Rules (UFC 199 Video)

Count Urijah Faber as one of the fighters that is a big supporter of recent changes that include surprise drug tests and stricter guidelines for weight cutting. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Medical Suspensions: Four Fighters Face Six-Month Layoffs

The Nevada State Athletic Commission released the medical suspensions stemming from UFC Fight Night 88: Almeida vs. Garbrandt on Thursday. read news >>

Can Luke Rockhold Be Anderson Silva's True Successor as Middleweight Kingpin?

Since losing his UFC debut to Vitor Belfort in May 2013, Luke Rockhold has been on a devastating run. He has finished all five of his opponents, three by submission and two with strikes, and only one read news >>

UFC 199 Q&A with Flyweight Champ Demetrious Johnson Video Replay

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson fielded questions from the fans prior to the official UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 weigh-in on Friday at The Forum in Los Angeles. read news >>

Kimbo Slice Dead at Age 42 After Being Hospitalized

MMA fighter Kimbo Slice died Monday at the age of 42. Bellator President Scott Coker released a statement regarding the news, via B/R's Jonathan Snowden: TMZ Sports reported earlier Monday that polic read news >>

UFC Releases Statement on the Passing of Kevin ‘Kimbo Slice’ Ferguson

The Ultimate Fighting Championship released a statement regarding the death of Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson. Ferguson appeared on the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter... read news >>

UFC statement on passing of Kimbo Slice

UFC is saddened to learn of the passing of Kevin Ferguson, known to fans around the world as Kimbo Slice. UFC offers its sincere condolences to Slice's family, friends and teammates at American Top T read news >>

UFC Grants Brock Lesnar A Special Exemption on Drug Testing

If you're a professional fighter coming out of retirement, you must notify the UFC and its drug-testing partner, the United States Anti-Doping Agency, four months in advance. Unless, that is, the UFC read news >>

Mark Hunt Comments on Brock Lesnar's Drug Testing Exemption

It didn't take long for the war of words between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt to go from professionally combative to personal. Hunt, speaking to UFC Fight Week on Fox Sports, accused Lesnar of being on read news >>

Brock Lesnar Will Be Drug Tested Before UFC 200, but Concerns Still Linger

At least one person close to the situation is weighing in on the decision to excuse Brock Lesnar from a mandatory drug-testing period so he can fight at UFC 200. Mark Hunt, who will be Lesnar’s oppon read news >>