Forrest Griffin may have sent Tito Ortiz into retirement on Saturday night, but the former light heavyweight champion did not go quietly. Both veterans expended large amounts of energy in their rubber match at UFC 148, a fact that Griffin said prevented him from trying to finish the UFC Hall of Famer in the bout's waning moments.

“He had nothing at the end of the second and third rounds, and I didn't have enough to take advantage of it. It was pretty pathetic,” Griffin told UFC.com after his unanimous decision over Ortiz in the evening's co-main event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“With about two minutes left, he laid on the cage, and I knew he had nothing,” Griffin later told Fox Sports. “I said, 'All right. This is my time. I'm going to finish him.' You know what I did? I pressed the gas pedal, and nothing happened.”

Griffin weathered an early takedown from Ortiz and escaped to his feet, controlling the remainder of round one with his long and linear standup. “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” would respond by dropping Griffin in both rounds two and three but ultimately could not capitalize as Griffin recovered and continually landed solid shots on the Team Punishment founder..

“Those were some good knockdowns he had on me. He was hitting me with everything but the kitchen sink, but I was too tired to move out of the way. It always comes down to fatigue,” said Griffin. “The [knockdown] in the second round didn't hurt me, but that one in the third round was the real deal.”

Griffin and Ortiz first met at UFC 59, where a comparatively inexperienced Griffin was edged by the Californian in a split decision. However, the original “Ultimate Fighter” returned the favor in their 2009 rematch at UFC 106 and would again emerge victorious in Saturday's deciding contest. While it has been over six years since the two men first met, Griffin believes that the trilogy will forever link his name with Ortiz's.

“He did exactly what he does. I did exactly what I do. Tito comes out strong, takes me down and beats me up a little. Then I come back on him, and he gasses a little bit, and I take a little bit of an advantage,” said Griffin. “We had three really close fights. If you watch [the trilogy], it just feels like one long fight with the same feel to it.”

Retirement Not in the Plans for Anderson Silva

There’s no question that the stage lights are dimming on former middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s fighting career, but the 40-year-old Brazilian has no plans of retirement. read news >>

UFC's Jimy Hettes mulling retirement after latest in long line of injury withdrawals

Jimy Hettes was considered a top featherweight prospect when he made his UFC debut in August 2011. Less than five years and a mere six fights later, however, Hettes said he could be done fighting for read news >>

Another UFC Boston Scratch: Jimy Hettes Injured and Mulling Retirement

MMAWeekly.com sources on Monday confirmed that featherweight Jimy Hettes has had to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 81 bout with Charles Rosa. read news >>

Ex-champ B.J. Penn ends retirement, but UFC boss still unsure on details

As expected former two-division champ and 2015 UFC Hall of Fame inductee B.J. Penn has ended his retirement. What’s next, though? That’s still to be determined.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

Brad Imes on retirement: They told me I was going to die or become a vegetable

Former college football player and “The Ultimate Fighter 2” runner-up Brad Imes found some success and plenty of fun in MMA. But following his retirement, he faced some dark days.Filed under: News, U read news >>

Video: NHL's New Jersey Devils meet UFC's CM Punk, Jessica Eye and Forrest Griffin

NEWARK, N.J. – Some New Jersey Devils joined forces with a handful of UFC regulars on Tuesday, and we were there to capture it.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

BJ Penn Guarantees That He’ll Be Fighting at UFC 196

Former two-division UFC champion B.J. Penn return from retirement will take place at UFC 196. He guarantees it. read news >>

22-fight UFC veteran Chris Leben comes out of retirement to sign with Bellator

• a day ago

In a week that included the signing of former UFC and WEC champion, as well as a veteran heavyweight, Bellator added another big name to its roster on Friday. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

• a day ago

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>