Forrest Griffin may have sent Tito Ortiz into retirement on Saturday night, but the former light heavyweight champion did not go quietly. Both veterans expended large amounts of energy in their rubber match at UFC 148, a fact that Griffin said prevented him from trying to finish the UFC Hall of Famer in the bout's waning moments.

“He had nothing at the end of the second and third rounds, and I didn't have enough to take advantage of it. It was pretty pathetic,” Griffin told UFC.com after his unanimous decision over Ortiz in the evening's co-main event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“With about two minutes left, he laid on the cage, and I knew he had nothing,” Griffin later told Fox Sports. “I said, 'All right. This is my time. I'm going to finish him.' You know what I did? I pressed the gas pedal, and nothing happened.”

Griffin weathered an early takedown from Ortiz and escaped to his feet, controlling the remainder of round one with his long and linear standup. “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” would respond by dropping Griffin in both rounds two and three but ultimately could not capitalize as Griffin recovered and continually landed solid shots on the Team Punishment founder..

“Those were some good knockdowns he had on me. He was hitting me with everything but the kitchen sink, but I was too tired to move out of the way. It always comes down to fatigue,” said Griffin. “The [knockdown] in the second round didn't hurt me, but that one in the third round was the real deal.”

Griffin and Ortiz first met at UFC 59, where a comparatively inexperienced Griffin was edged by the Californian in a split decision. However, the original “Ultimate Fighter” returned the favor in their 2009 rematch at UFC 106 and would again emerge victorious in Saturday's deciding contest. While it has been over six years since the two men first met, Griffin believes that the trilogy will forever link his name with Ortiz's.

“He did exactly what he does. I did exactly what I do. Tito comes out strong, takes me down and beats me up a little. Then I come back on him, and he gasses a little bit, and I take a little bit of an advantage,” said Griffin. “We had three really close fights. If you watch [the trilogy], it just feels like one long fight with the same feel to it.”

Watch Chael Sonnen Beat Tito Ortiz … in 1998 (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Yes, we know it was a collegiate wrestling match, but Chael Sonnen and Tito Ortiz have met in competition in the past. read news >>

Video: Watch Chael Sonnen beat Tito Ortiz in 44 seconds ... in a 1998 wrestling match

When Chael Sonnen and Tito Ortiz face off at Bellator 170, it won’t be their first time meeting in athletic competition.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Chael Sonnen passes pre-fight drug test for Bellator 170 headliner vs. Tito Ortiz

Bellator light heavyweight Chael Sonnen is off to a good start with his new promoter. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Griffin previews Nunes-Rousey and more from UFC 207

Watch as Forrest Griffin previews the UFC 207 main event between Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey Friday night in Las Vegas. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Mom Comments on Star's Potential Retirement After UFC 207 Loss

Following Ronda Rousey's stunning 48-second loss to Amanda Nunes in Las Vegas at UFC 207 on Friday night, Rousey's mother, AnnMaria De Mars, expressed hope her daughter would consider retirement. As read news >>

WSOF 34 highlights: Justin Gaethje mangles Luiz Firmino's eye, Jon Fitch hints at retirement

WSOF closed out 2016 with its Big Apple debut and a fight slate that included four title bouts. Check out the highlights.Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'That's It for Ronda Rousey' (UFC 207 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes had a hand in ushering Miesha Tate into retirement, did she just do the same for Ronda Rousey? read news >>

Tito Ortiz told Cris 'Cyborg' Justino to take featherweight title fight

Before Cris “Cyborg” Justino’s MMA career came to an abrupt halt, Tito Ortiz advised her to take a women’s featherweight title bout offered by the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 170: Tito Ortiz and Chael Sonnen Media Call Audio | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 170 main eventers Tito Ortiz and Chael Sonnen fielded questions from the media ahead of the Jan. 21 event at the Forum in Los Angeles. read news >>

Fresh Off Tournament Win, Cro Cop Announces Retirement Plans | MMAWeekly.com

Just a few days removed from winning three fights in two days, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has announced plans to retire. read news >>