With the UFC’s biggest pay-per-view star taking an indefinite break from the sport, the organization would understandably be tempted to pester him for a return date. UFC President Dana White, though, said he plans to give Georges St-Pierre plenty of space.

“I’ll leave him alone,” White said this past weekend (watch the full post-UFC on FOX 9 media scrum above). “I’ll leave him alone and let him do his thing.

“When a guy gets done fighting, I don’t bother the guys until it’s time to fight again. Let them go, let them disappear and do their thing. Then we contact them when it’s time to fight again.”

This past week, St-Pierre vacated his welterweight title and announced his plans to take an indefinite break from the sport. He said he expects to return to the cage at some point in the future, but he had no timetable for such a return.

Following a split-decision win over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 this past month, St-Pierre hinted at some personal issues and said his life had become a “zoo.” That’s when he first suggested he might need time away from the cage.

“I can’t sleep at night, man,” St-Pierre, 32, said after the Nov. 16 pay-per-view event. “I’m going crazy. I have issues, and I need to get out for a while. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I feel like I’m leaving everything out now, but I need to leave part of my life personal. I need to get out for a little bit, and that’s it.”

With St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), who had made nine consecutive title defenses since 2008, now on the sidelines, Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) and Robbie Lawler (22-9 MMA, 7-3 UFC) will fight for the vacant belt at UFC 171 on March.

Will St-Pierre be there?

“I don’t know, probably not,” White said. “It sounds like he wants to get away.

“Like I said … earlier, he’s going to fix the zoo first. Once he gets the zoo straightened out, he’ll probably be focusing on fighting again and trying to regain the title.”

For the latest on UFC 171, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Six biggest MMA storylines of 2016 (Yahoo Sports)

  • 29 days ago
  • 34 views

From Yahoo Sports: Conor McGregor's hunt for a second title is at the forefront of the conversation, but that's not all we have to look forward to this year. read news >>

Six biggest MMA storylines of 2016 (Yahoo Sports)

  • 29 days ago
  • 10 views

From Yahoo Sports: Conor McGregor's hunt for a second title is at the forefront of the conversation, but that's not all we have to look forward to this year. read news >>

Retirement Not in the Plans for Anderson Silva

  • 29 days ago
  • 33 views

There’s no question that the stage lights are dimming on former middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s fighting career, but the 40-year-old Brazilian has no plans of retirement. read news >>

Rizin FF exec: Fedor Emelianenko won't fight in April, return expected later in year

  • 25 days ago
  • 6 views

After original plans had Fedor Emelianenko returning to the Rizin Fighting Federation ring in April, it appears “The Last Emperor” now won’t see action until later in the year.Filed under: News read news >>

Dana White Video: Ronda Rousey is the Biggest Star in the UFC, Bigger than Conor McGregor

  • 24 days ago
  • 31 views

Despite losing to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in November, UFC president Dana White says that "Ronda Rousey is still the biggst star in the UFC." read news >>

Invicta FC Champ Invicta Renata Souza Plans to Defend, but Wants UFC Title Shot

  • 24 days ago
  • 3 views

Livia Renata Souza must first defend her title at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday, but sees a UFC title shot in her near future. read news >>

'UFC 197: dos Anjos vs. McGregor' tickets top out at $1,454

  • 23 days ago
  • 23 views

If you want to see the biggest event so far on the UFC’s 2016 schedule – and you want to do it from cageside – get ready to open your wallet.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 headliner Anthony Johnson plans on retiring within three years

  • 22 days ago
  • 45 views

Veteran UFC fighter Anthony Johnson is on the cusp of another title shot in the light heavyweight division, but he’s already got plans to walk away from the sport.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Eddie Alvarez after Anthony Pettis win: 'I'd love, love, love a shot at the title'

  • 21 days ago
  • 7 views

BOSTON – Eddie Alvarez said he’s often “my biggest critic,” and though he said he usually takes a pessimistic view of his performances, he believes he clearly won Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 co-headl read news >>

Ronda Rousey Not Going Away, Plans to Fight Holly Holm Later This Year

  • 21 days ago
  • 11 views

For those that question Ronda Rousey's resiliency, no, she's not going away anytime soon. In fact, she intends to return to the Octagon later this year. read news >>