Fedor Emelianenko‘s time under the Zuffa umbrella has come to an end.

The former Pride champion and Russian legend has been released from Strikeforce following his third loss in a row, the latest coming by way of TKO to Dan Henderson this last weekend in Chicago.

UFC president Dana White on Thursday confirmed his release to MMAWeekly.com.

“Yeah, he’s being cut,” White confirmed. “You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years.”

Emelianenko’s legendary undefeated run first came to a halt when he faced Fabricio Werdum last year, and after clipping the Brazilian early in the fight, he was submitted by triangle choke.

Bouncing back earlier this year, Emelianenko entered the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix where he met Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and was simply overmatched by power and size. The fight was stopped after the seond round as Emelianenko suffered huge swelling in and around his eye.

The final nail in the coffin came at Strikeforce this weekend when he lost to current light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson in a special heavyweight attraction. Fedor dropped Henderson with a good punch, but in the scramble to finish the fight, he found himself on the bad end of a Henderson uppercut.

Emelianenko went limp, falling flat to the mat and referee Herb Dean rushed in to stop the fight.

The loss resulted in three in a row for Emelianenko, who stated following the fight that he was undecided what the future held for him.

The future doesn’t hold Strikeforce for Emelianenko after being released.

According to White, he believes Emelianenko’s contract was up anyway, which paved the way for him not to come back to the promotion.

“Yeah, I think so as far as I know,” White said about Emelianenko’s contract.

White also stated he had no conversations at all with Emelianenko or his camp, and has stayed out of the situation since Zuffa purchased Strikeforce earlier this year.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Video: 'UFC Fight Night 81 Embedded' T.J. Dillashaw vs. Dominick Cruz segment

  • 24 days ago
  • 30 views

Ahead of Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 event, officials have released a special edition of “Embedded.” Check out the segment devoted to the headliner.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: 'UFC Fight Night 81 Embedded' Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez segment

  • 24 days ago
  • 29 views

Ahead of Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 event, officials have released a special edition of “Embedded.” Check out the segment devoted to the co-headliner.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bodycam footage: UFC fighter Julianna Pena drunkenly explains self before arrest

  • 24 days ago
  • 12 views

Bodycam footage released by the Spokane City (Wash.) Police Department captured “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner Julianna Pena’s rough night after getting booted out of a bar.Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Rizin FF exec: Fedor Emelianenko won't fight in April, return expected later in year

  • 23 days ago
  • 5 views

After original plans had Fedor Emelianenko returning to the Rizin Fighting Federation ring in April, it appears “The Last Emperor” now won’t see action until later in the year.Filed under: News read news >>

Attorney: Following public apology, Wanderlei Silva released from UFC contract

  • 23 days ago
  • 43 views

The UFC on Wednesday released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the industry-leader, freeing him to fight for other promoters, the fighter’s longtime attorney today told MMAjunkie.Filed under: F read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Reportedly Released from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Reaction

  • 23 days ago
  • 6 views

Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie.com reported Thursday the UFC released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the company.The news coincides with Silva recanting his previous claim this past summer that read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Retracts UFC Fight-Fixing Statements, Reportedly Released from Contract

  • 23 days ago
  • 3 views

While Wanderlei Silva awaits resolution over his lifetime ban handed down by the Nevada Athletic Commission, it appears that he is close to being free of the UFC. read news >>

Why Randy Couture turned down an offer to fight Fedor Emelianenko

  • 18 days ago
  • 102 views

The search for Fedor Emelianenko’s New Year’s Eve opponent in the upstart Rizin Fighting Federation promotion briefly led to Randy Couture. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Cain Velasquez Issues Statement, Apologizes to Fabricio Werdum for Having to Withdraw from UFC 196

  • 13 days ago
  • 12 views

Former heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez released a statement on Sunday via Facebook explaining why he was forced to withdraw from UFC 196. read news >>

NY federal judge denies UFC move to allow Madison Square Garden event

  • 12 days ago
  • 14 views

A federal judge today denied UFC parent company Zuffa a preliminary injunction that would have allowed the promotion to hold an April 23 event at New York City’s Madison Square Garden.Filed under: Ne read news >>