Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Tony Ferguson Injured; Rashad Evans vs. Glover Teixeira Now Headlines UFC on FOX 19 Main Event

Tony Ferguson is out of his scheduled UFC on FOX 19 headlining bout opposite Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86's Lucas Martins has no reason for yearlong layoff

After starting 3-1 in his UFC career with a pair of bonus-winning knockouts, Brazil’s Lucas Martins was looking like one of the better lighter-weight prospects in the promotion. Then things started t read news >>

Balancing UFC career with 2nd job is benefit to UFC Fight Night 86's Timothy Johnson

Timothy Johnson tried the whole “full-time fighter” thing, and he wasn’t particularly pleased with the results.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Frustrated with the career development of Bellator's Michael Page? Well he is, too

Michael Page’s career hasn’t exactly gone the way he or his devoted followers had hoped after more than four years in the game.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86’s Nicolas Dalby wants to become photojournalist after MMA career

ZAGREB, Croatia – Now-retired UFC lightweight Mac Danzig showed that fighters could also be great photographers. Current UFC fighter Nicolas Dalby also wants to take it a step further and become a ph read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 Road to the Octagon Full Video: Glover Teixeira vs. Rashad Evans

As six talented UFC fighters prepare for UFC on FOX 19, experience their extraordinary lives and uncompromising training in UFC Road to the Octagon: Teixeira vs Evans. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 Free Fight: Rashad Evans TKOs Forrest Griffin to Win Title

Forrest Griffin used his height and reach advantage to frustrate Rashad Evans in the first two rounds before Evans finally found his opening. read news >>

Rashad Evans regrets wasting energy on UFC 145 mental warfare with Jon Jones

As Rashad Evans approaches the four-year anniversary of his UFC 145 title loss to Jon Jones, he said he still desires another opportunity to mix it up with his former rival.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cezar Ferreira enters career crossroads at UFC on FOX 19 with clear mind, healed body

If anyone might have an excuse for a couple of disappointing performances, it might be a guy with eight screws in his neck and fighting in a weight class in which he never belonged. Cezar Ferreira is read news >>

UFC on FOX 19's Rashad Evans talks title aspirations, and some advice for Saint Preux

TAMPA, Fla. – After battling ring rust in a previous bout, ex-champ Rashad Evans feels more like himself coming into a fight with Glover Teixeira in the headliner of UFC on FOX 19. Filed under: Featu read news >>