Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Henry Cejudo on UFC champs Johnson, Dillashaw: 'I'm a bad matchup for both'

Henry Cejudo gets a second chance at a UFC flyweight career on Saturday when he faces former title contender Chris Cariaso at UFC 185. He already fumbled the opportunity once before, but he’s determi read news >>

CES MMA 28 headliner Rick Hawn hopes to end career with UFC

Aware the tail end of his career is rapidly approaching, Rick Hawn is beginning to think about what he’d like to achieve before it’s all over. Near the top of the list is a fight under the UFC banner read news >>

UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman Hospitalized with Hip Complications

One would think after having a UFC Hall of Fame career that Mark “The Hammer” Coleman should be living in the lap of luxury. But that’s not the case at all. According to a GoFundMe page set up by Wes read news >>

Video: Is Rafael dos Anjos the toughest test of Anthony Pettis' career?

DALLAS – At today’s UFC 185 open workout session, lightweight champ Anthony Pettis insisted that Rafael dos Anjos is one of the most dangerous fighters on the promotion’s entire lightweight roster. I read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos explains how an invitation from Frankie Edgar changed his whole career

DALLAS -- Rafael dos Anjos talks about his UFC 185 lightweight title fight against Anthony Pettis, the rocky start to his UFC run, how he turned things around, and much more. read news >>

Tweets of the Day: Ben Askren still calling out and making fun of Johny Hendricks

Ben Askren was at UFC 185, and he is still making fun of Johny Hendricks. On every single Johny Hendricks fight as of late, Ben Askren has tried to take shots at his fellow champion wrestler. He has read news >>

Trading Shots: On career turnarounds and the nature of being wrong

At UFC 185, several careers that most fans had either written off or simply ignored had major life breathed back into them. What can that tell us about the nature of MMA career arcs, or about the tem read news >>

The Reaction: UFC 185 Edition

After 17 fights inside the Octagon, and a UFC career spanning seven years, Rafael dos Anjos is the lightweight champion of the world. He rocked Anthony Pettis early with a punch that caused him to lo read news >>

The MMA Hour - 273 - Reza Madadi

Former UFC fighter Reza Madadi will talk about resuming his fighting career after a recent jail sentence. read news >>