Despite UFC 133 Loss to Rashad Evans, Tito Ortiz Not Calling it a Career

• submit to reddit
Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

"Suga" spoke to MMAmania.com today about the rumors swirling about him having an interest in wrestling for WWE. Brock Lesnar he is not ... yet. Pump the brakes on any thoughts you may have conjured about Rashad Evans leaving Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). A report surfaced yesterday (via Dave Meltzer's The Wrestling Observer newsletter) that stated Evans, "recently inquired regarding going to the WWE." The former UFC Light Heavyweight champion spoke more

Back in the win column, The Huntington Beach Bad Boy wants more. Tito Ortiz submitted Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko in a light heavyweight bout in May, and he’s targeting a return to the cage in November, according to his muay thai coach Rafael Cordeiro. "He did an excellent fight against Shlemenko," Cordeiro told MMAFighting.com. "He will fight again in November. We don’t know the opponent yet, but he’s already training." The former UFC light heavyweight champion snapped a more

LAS VEGAS – B.J. Penn and Lyoto Machida headline different shows for the UFC this weekend. Although they’re now four weight classes apart, back in 2005, the two fought each other in Japan. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

Following a third-round TKO loss at the hands of Frankie Edgar Sunday night, BJ Penn decided to put an end to his UFC career. The 35-year-old legend announced the news inside the Octagon following The Ultimate Fighter 19 finale, and Fox Sports' Mike Chiappetta captured a quote: UFC president Dana White commented on the decision via MMAFighting.com: Penn finishes his career at 16-10-2 overall. Although, with five losses and a draw in his last seven fights, his final record doesn't exactly do him more

BJ Penn looked different in his third meeting with Frankie Edgar on Sunday. He looked noticeably leaner in the cage as he was making his featherweight debut, but most fans have been talking about the new style he decided to use against his rival. Appearing on The MMA Hour, Penn's longtime friend and coach Jason Parillo made sure to clear his name. "I would never in a million years develop that new style," Parillo said. "Never in a million years." He's not the only one who questioned Penn's new s more

After rumors emerged this week that former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans was interested in making a move to World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), 'Suga' clarifies the situation. Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter indicated Wednesday that Evans had discussed the possible switch with pro wrestling officials over the July 4 holiday weekend in Las Vegas at the UFC Fan Expo. According to Meltzer, Evans' name has been on a short list of UFC fighters in talks to make the tra more

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans is interested in a potential move to WWE after his fighting career only if “got paid” a significant amount. Rashad Evans is open to a potential move to World Wrestling Entertainment if the money is right. The former UFC light-heavyweight champion won't look to make the transition to professional wrestling anytime soon, but alluded to the possibility that he may consider that option once his fighting career is complete. "If I ever did anything li more

James Moontasri was thrust into the UFC spotlight against Joe Ellenberger at UFC Fight Night “Swanson vs. Stephens.” more

The US Men's soccer team faced Belgium for the right to play Argentina in the quarterfinals of the FIFA World Cup. Here's how the MMA world watched and reacted to the game. It's been a great ride so far for the United States in this FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Yes, their record stands as 1-1-1, including the 1-0 loss to Germany last game, but their goal difference was good enough to see themselves through to the 2nd round ahead of Portugal. Standing in the way of an American appearance in the quar more