Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Chas Skelly Continuing to Establish Himself as a Top UFC Featherweight

After suffering the only loss of his career in 2014 to Mirsad Bektic in his UFC debut, featherweight Chas “Scrapper” Skelly has rebounded with three straight wins. read news >>

Alan 'The Talent' Belcher Retires

Alan Belcher called it a career Friday, announcing his retirement from MMA after an 11-year journey which included 18 victories and nine knockouts. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77’s Gleison Tibau not happy being called a gatekeeper

Only UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz has more fights in the UFC’s octagon than Gleison Tibau, who’s stepped inside the cage 26 times. And that record is soon to fall.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

James Thompson on Bobby Lashley's MMA career: 'I don't know what he's thinking'

James Thompson isn’t particularly impressed with the way in which Bellator 145 opponent Bobby Lashley has gone through his MMA career. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Balancing Fighting with the Military, Sean Richman Ready to Prove He’s Legit

Having to balance his military service, his family, and his fighting career, Sean Richman is out to prove he's legit at RFA 32 on Friday night. read news >>

James Thompson's gambling addiction nearly ruined his MMA career

James Thompson can pinpoint the moment it all went downhill: May 31, 2008 is a date that will stick firm in his memory, and many longtime MMA fans remember it just as well.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Video: Is Ronda Rousey's next career in boxing? Or jiu-jitsu? Or the WWE?

Ronda Rousey’s crossover appeal is bordering on the ridiculous at this point – in a great way for her and MMA. But down the road, she has her sights set on winning a boxing title, too. Filed under: F read news >>

Oscar De La Hoya Wants to Promote Ronda Rousey's Potential Boxing Career

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey stated this week that her future athletic goals extend beyond the octagon, including a potential foray into boxing. If that happens, former world champi read news >>

Fight Path: Watching mom build back up helped inspire Sam Oropeza to MMA career

After Sam Oropeza finished his associate degree, moving from working on a power plant as a student to working at a New Jersey refinery, he got a taste of just how unpleasant the full-time working wor read news >>

Michael Bisping no longer interested in Anderson Silva: Probably 'on juice the whole time'

For much of his career, Michael Bisping was motivated by the idea of getting to square off with UFC legend Anderson Silva. Now that Silva has a positive test for anabolic steroids under his belt, Bis read news >>