Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Ryan Bader vs. Rashad Evans: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Fighters

The light heavyweight matchup of Ryan Bader and Rashad Evans could have been the main event on a lesser card than UFC 192. On a card as loaded as the one set to take place Saturday, October 3, it ser read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tonya Evinger's dominant TKO of Pannie Kianzad at Invicta FC 14

The story of Tonya Evinger’s career turnaround took another step in the right direction when in Invicta FC 14’s main event she stopped Pannie Kianzad by second-round TKO for her eighth consecutive vi read news >>

Mayweather vs Berto live stream results: Full fight play-by-play updates tonight

This is the way the prestigious professional boxing career of Floyd Mayweather ends, not with a bang, but a whimper. After 19 years of pugilistic supremacy, Mayweather's storied undefeated run comes read news >>

Luke Rockhold on Weidman: 'I'm going to be his big brother his whole career'

Like just about everyone who has challenged for a title through the course of combat sports history, Luke Rockhold is confident he has what it takes to upend the champion.Filed under: Featured, Featu read news >>

Reminder: Spike debuts 'Bellator: Road to Dynamite 1' and 'Unrivaled: Tito Ortiz' tonight

As a reminder, ahead of next week’s “Bellator 142: Dynamite” event, Spike tonight features the debut of a pair of programs previewing the historic card. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tim Sylvia Blasts Dana White, Recalls Potential Brock Lesnar Bout

It's hard to remember an MMA career more turbulent than Tim Sylvia's. The two-time UFC heavyweight champion, who pairs wins over Andrei Arlovski and Ben Rothwell with losses to Abe Wagner and aged ex read news >>

Dana White: I booked 'Rousey vs Holm' to save Miesha Tate from killing her career

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White cares about his fighters. That's why he gave undefeated women's bantamweight No. 1 contender Holly Holm a shot at the 135-pound title, despit read news >>

Ronda Rousey's 'Road House' remake in the works

The UFC star's film career is really starting to hit full stride with an ever growing list of upcoming film projects. A great man once said, "Pain don't hurt." He may have been talking about a stab w read news >>

Paige VanZant Video: Green, Young, and Relentless

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant isn't about to rush her career in the UFC, but she's ready to take on everything and everyone that comes her way. read news >>

UFC Continues Smart Handling of Paige VanZant's Career Arc

The story of Ronda Rousey's rise to prominence, both in the "real" world and the sometimes absurd world of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has been one of swiftness. Rousey had a rocket attached read news >>