Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Acting Roles Play Second Fiddle to Ronda Rousey’s UFC Career

With opportunity flying at UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey faster than punches inside the cage, she hasn’t forgotten what made her famous. read news >>

Brock Lesnar signs new WWE deal, says his MMA career is over for good

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar signed a new contract Monday night with World Wrestling Entertainment, and said he was closing the book on mixed martial arts for good.Sources in WWE had read news >>

Brock Lesnar Makes Correct Choice in Closing Door on UFC Career

He's been out of action since 2011, but Brock Lesnar has consistently remained one of MMA's big stories. But after his Tuesday appearance on SportsCenter, that will no longer be the case. Lesnar, 37, read news >>

TUF LATAM 2 Coach Profile - Efrain Escudero

When it came to his UFC career, Efrain Escudero could have been on the outside looking in had he not defeated Rodrigo de Lima in Colorado in February. But instead, “Hecho en Mexico” is a player again read news >>

Former heavyweight Brendan Schaub confirms drop to 205 pounds for next UFC fight

Can "Big Brown" revitalize his MMA career in the light heavyweight division? It is now official, former UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub will be shedding some major weight in order to cut down to the 2 read news >>

Shane Campbell replaces injured Abel Trujillo against John Makdessi at UFC 186

For the sixth time in his UFC career, Abel Trujillo has been part of a fight change or cancelation within one month of an event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rashad Evans on injury layoff: It's hard to sit and watch UFC pass me by

But don't count him out just yet, as "Suga" still plans to return to the Octagon this September. It's been 16 long months since Rashad Evans stepped foot inside the Octagon, and the former Ultimate F read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 results: Julianna Pena stops Milana Dudieva with violent onslaught

Julianna Pena’s career suffered an unfortunate setback when she suffered a brutal knee injury in March 2014. She returned at UFC Fight Night 63 and blazed through Milana Dudieva in violent fashion.Fi read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Ronda Rousey is 'afraid to fight Cris Cyborg,' willingness to fight Laila Ali is proof

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight kingpin Tito Ortiz has never shied away from sharing his thoughts on a potential Ronda Rousey vs Cris Cyborg fight. In fact, Ortiz steppe read news >>