Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 205's Tim Boetsch quietly registers his 20th career UFC fight

NEW YORK – Tim Boetsch has seen a lot during his decade-long career, and he’s thankful the majority of it has come in the UFC octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 205's Belal Muhammad on career goals: 'I want to be a needle-mover'

NEW YORK – Belal Muhammad wants to be a fighter that goes down in the MMA history books. That’s why he adopted the nickname “Remember the Name,” and why he fights with a style he knows fans of the sp read news >>

Raquel Pennington Retires Miesha Tate at UFC New York (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Raquel Pennington won a unanimous decision and Miesha Tate called it a career. read news >>

Conor McGregor Pretends to Apologize After Winning 2nd Title at UFC 205

Conor McGregor faced the toughest opponent of his career at UFC 205 and posted what may have been his most dominant win to date. Opposite now-former lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez, McGregor lande read news >>

UFC 205: Raquel Pennington vs. Miesha Tate video highlights

Raquel Pennington picked up the biggest win of her pro career when she topped Miesha Tate, her former coach on “The Ultimate Fighter.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Rogerio Nogueira Pound Out Tito Ortiz (UFC Sao Paulo Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira took down Tito Ortiz in impressive fashion and pounded him out at UFC 140. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov: Conor McGregor Calling the Shots is 'No. 1 Bulls--t!' | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov makes no bones about it that he isn't happy about the current matchmaking decisions when Conor McGregor is involved. read news >>

Newcomer Gerald Meerschaert gets fill-in duties at UFC Fight Night 102

Gerald Meerschaert, a 10-year pro with 32 career fights, is finally getting his shot in the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ryan Bader expected 'Shogun' in UFC Fight Night 100 headliner, but satisfied with first career rematch

SAO PAULO – Eight years into his UFC career, Ryan Bader has faced a who’s who list of light heavyweights. He thought he was going to add another name to that tally before plans changed.Filed under: F read news >>

Bellator 165 is Benson Henderson's Career-Defining Moment (video) | MMAWeekly.com

On a quest for his third MMA promotional belt, follow Benson Henderson before he meets Michael Chandler for the Bellator lightweight belt. read news >>