Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

After big win at UFC 186, Thomas Almeida dreams of a fight in Las Vegas

Thomas Almeida has no intention of calling out any specific fighter after his UFC 186 win, but he does have a few locations where he’d like his next fight to take place.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Former UFC champion Rashad Evans talks injury and rehab: 'I've reached out to GSP, Dominick Cruz' for support

Rashad Evans speaks with MMAmania regarding his latest setback and how he has been handling a substantial amount of time off. When Rashad Evans returns, as he projected, in fall 2015, it will be clos read news >>

Rashad Evans on potential rematch with 'Rampage' Jackson: 'I would definitely knock him out'

A rematch of what was one of the most anticipated fights in UFC history could be on the horizon, because Rashad Evans wants a second bout with Quinton Jackson.Filed under: News read news >>

Twitter Reacts to Jon Jones' Felony Charge

The downward spiral in the career of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones hit face first into the pavement on Sunday afternoon, and it might take more than a $25,000 fine to get him out of this m read news >>

Rashad Evans Says He’d Highlight Reel KO Rampage Jackson in a Rematch

Now that he's back in the UFC, former titleholder Quinton "Rampage" Jackson plans to avenge his previous losses and make a run at the 205-pound title. read news >>

Jon Jones and the fine line between lessons and patterns

Of all the missteps Jon Jones has taken in his career -- including Sunday’s latest when he allegedly ran a red light in Albuquerque, caused a three-car accident, injured a pregnant woman, and fled th read news >>

Rashad Evans weighs in on Jon Jones' hit-and-run incident

Former teammate and opponent of Jon Jones - Rashad Evans, comments on the light heavyweight champ's recent run-in with the law. Rashad Evans is the latest fighter to weigh in on Jon Jones' hit-and-ru read news >>

Rashad Evans would grant Rampage a rematch, says he'd hand him a 'highlight reel knockout'

The former UFC champion wasn't impressed by Quinton Jackson's UFC 186 performance. After his UFC comeback win over Fabio Maldonado at UFC 186 last Saturday, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson stated he would read news >>

Calls mounting for UFC to strip Jon Jones of his title

Kenny Florian and Kevin Iole are calling for the Light Heavyweight champ to be stripped of his title, pulled from his UFC 187 bout with Anthony "Rumble" Johnson and enter rehab. While the UFC waits t read news >>