Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Former UFC Champion Jens Pulver Enjoying a Life of Giving Back

Following an accomplished fight career, former UFC champion Jens Pulver is drawing on his struggles to help give back to others. read news >>

Valor Fights’ Corey Browning Plans Busy Year

He may have started his pro career off slowly, but Corey Browning plans a busy 2016. He returns to the cage at Valor Fights 32 on Friday. read news >>

Jason Novelli Heads into Titan FC 38 Co-Main Event Planning a Big Career Year

Finally getting his training on track, Jason Novelli heads into Saturday's Titan FC 38 with plans for it to be a career year for him. read news >>

VIDEO: Shaquille O’Neal vs. Charles Barkley Wrestling Trilogy Ends with Hilarious Results

Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley missed their calling. read news >>

Drew Brokenshire Stepping Out as He Takes His Career to the Next Level

Finding it harder to get fights in his region, Drew Brokenshire is stepping out in an attempt to take his career to the next level. read news >>

Stephanie Alba Ready to Unleash the Cyclone on Combate Americas

Following an extensive amateur career, Stephanie Alba has had a strong start to her pro career, and now she's going to unleash the Cyclone on Combate Americas. read news >>

With His Career on the Rebound, Sergei Kharitonov Hunting Bellator Championship

In the midst of a career resurgence, Pride veteran Sergei Kharitonov is hunting a Bellator championship. read news >>

Cyborg vs. Leslie Smith: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 198

After years of rumors and speculation, Cris Cyborg makes her long-awaited, much-anticipated UFC debut on Saturday at UFC 198 in Curitiba, Brazil, against Leslie Smith in a 140-pound catchweight match read news >>

Belfort living the dream decades into career

Almost 20 years since his Octagon debut, Vitor Belfort is showing no signs of slowing in search of ufc glory read news >>

Pat Curran Taking it One Fight at a Time After Moving His Camp to Blackzilians

Looking to jumpstart his career with a move to the Blackzilians camp in Florida, former Bellator champ Pat Curran is taking things one fight at a time. read news >>