Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 200 Video: Amanda Nunes – All In

Before the biggest fight of her career against Miesha Tate at UFC 200, get an inside look at the life Amanda Nunes. read news >>

Jose Torres taking IMMAF success to the pros

Jose Torres's amateur career consisted of 25 consecutive wins and two world championship. Now he's finally in the pros and thus far his success is translating. read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 200

UFC 200 is a huge event on many levels, but Mark Hunt and Brock Lesnar will make it gigantic in the most literal sense when they step into the cage Saturday night in the main event, after the UFC rem read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 200

After years of playing second fiddle to Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate finally became the champion of the women's bantamweight division at UFC 196. Now, she'll look to use the grand stage of UFC 200 to ke read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Earns 'Champion' Nickname with Career-Defining Comeback

When international fans struggle with her unwieldy last name, Joanna Jedrzejczyk likes to joke that we can just call her "Joanna Champion." In the wake of her stellar come-from-behind victory over Cl read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Julianna Pena Tops Cat Zingano in Featured Prelim

Julianna Pena picked up the biggest win of her UFC career on Saturday, beating Cat Zingano in the featured UFC 200 prelim fight at the T-Mobile in Las Vegas. read news >>

The Gilded Age: UFC 200 an Ultimate Bust in the Era of the Celebrity Fighter

For years the UFC's calling card was its top-to-bottom action. Even if they had never heard of the fighters in the cage, fans knew on any given night someone was bound to do the spectacular. Unlike b read news >>

Two UFC Veterans Allege Jon Jones Tested Positive for Estrogen Blockers

Rashad Evans and Chael Sonnen allege that Jon Jones tested positive for estrogen blockers in the drug test that led to him being pulled from UFC 200. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez is Sipping Piña Coladas and Auto Responding to Call-Outs

The response Eddie Alvarez gave to people calling him out for a shot at his new UFC title is more than awesome. read news >>

Wilson Reis Goes from UFC 201 Title Fight to Facing Octagon Newbie

UFC 201 has gone from the opportunity of his career for Wilson Reis to one of the riskiest fights of his career. read news >>