Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

B.J. Penn says his greatest career moment didn't come in MMA

B.J. Penn is one of just two men to win UFC titles in two different weight classes. He has the most wins in UFC lightweight history and owns victories over some of the biggest names to ever step into read news >>

UFC champ Ronda Rousey and Mark Wahlberg set to co-star in 'Mile 22'

Ronda Rousey’s film career appears set to continue with “Mile 22,” a film starring Mark Wahlberg and directed by Peter Berg, according to “The Hollywood Reporter.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor fight picks: Bloody Elbow staff picks from McGregor's UFC career

Take a different look back at the UFC career of Conor McGregor as we look at how the BE staff picked his 5 UFC fights heading into UFC 189. Not sure if you have heard, but next week some guy named Co read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: Robbie Lawler, Tito Ortiz, Ian McCall, and Josh Samman

Join Knockout Radio for a stacked podcast that includes UFC champ Robbie Lawler, Bellator contender Tito Ortiz, and UFC fighters Ian McCall and Josh Samman. read news >>

Knockout Radio Live & Loaded! Robbie Lawler, Tito Ortiz, Ian McCall, and Josh Samman

Tune in Thursday, July 2, at 6 p.m. EST, for Knockout Radio LIVE with a stacked line-up that includes Robbie Lawler, Tito Ortiz, Ian McCall, and Josh Samman. read news >>

Ryan Bader and Rashad Evans want to fight at UFC 192

Two veteran light heavyweight are looking to fight each other on the UFC's October PPV in Houston. Rashad Evans has said it before, and he said it again on UFC Tonight - he thinks that a great return read news >>

Lyoto Machida not retiring, underwent surgery on Sunday

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida won't be calling it quits after getting beaten up by Yoel Romero, but he did undergo surgery. It appears that Lyoto Machida will continue to keep f read news >>

Rashad Evans vs. Ryan Bader possible for UFC 192 on Oct. 3 in Houston

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans is planning to (finally) make his mixed martial arts (MMA) return for the upcoming UFC 192 pay-per-view (PPV) event read news >>

Rashad Evans vs. Ryan Bader at UFC 192? Both fighters want it

Rashad Evans has long said that a bout with Ryan Bader would make sense for his return after a long injury layoff. It appears Bader sees the sense in this fight, too. And it seems both can agree on a read news >>

Rashad Evans and Ryan Bader eye fall meeting at UFC 192 in Houston

Two top light heavyweights are aiming for an October meeting at UFC 192.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>