Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Tito Ortiz Claims UFC Offerend Cris Cyborg Fight vs. Ronda Rousey in Dallas Stadium

In talking about his upcoming fight and Fedor with Inside MMA, Tito Ortiz dropped a bomb, saying the UFC has offered Cris Cyborg the fight with Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Cris Cyborg offered Ronda Rousey fight by UFC in Dallas stadium

Balls in your court, Ronda. Supposedly anyway ... Tito Ortiz, former manager of Invicta FC women's Featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino, believes his former client may indeed face-off wi read news >>

Paul Felder vs. Ross Pearson set for UFC 191

Paul Felder, coming off the first loss of his career, is set to fight veteran Ross Pearson at UFC 191 in Las Vegas on September 5th. A surefire Fight of the Night candidate has been booked for UFC 19 read news >>

Tito Ortiz: UFC has offered Cris Cyborg a Ronda Rousey fight in Dallas stadium

The UFC Hall of Famer went on Inside MMA last night and claimed that his friend Cris Cyborg has been offered a bout with Ronda Rousey at the rumored UFC event this fall in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, read news >>

Ken Porter Has Opportunity Against Former RFA Champ to Boost His Career

Ken Porter's star has been rising fast of late, and a win over former RFA champ Matt Manzanares on Friday night would only take him to new heights. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73's Frankie Saenz is looking for top 10 opponents

The professional career of Frankie Saenz may have gotten off to a rocky start, but the bantamweight has turned his career around with a six-fight winning streak.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Myles Jury drops to featherweight, among four fighters to leave Alliance MMA

Ranked lightweight Myles Jury has decided to continue his career at featherweight, and has joined a few fighters who are leaving Alliance MMA in favor of an Arizona gym. It looks like Myles Jury is s read news >>

Hey, Michael Bisping: Here's the latest UFC middleweight calling you out

Vitor Miranda appears to have found a home in the UFC’s middleweight division, and now he has his sights set on some bigger names at 185 pounds.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rousey set to star in movie version of autobiography

It looks like Rousey's movie career is in full swing as she's got a new project in the works: Starring in the film version of her own autobiography. It's happening, Rousey-ception is upon us. Ronda R read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Cris Cyborg 'doing everything possible' to make 135 pounds for Ronda Rousey fight

If a megafight between Ronda Rousey and Cris Cyborg doesn't happen, it won't be Cyborg's fault, according to Tito Ortiz. Ortiz, a Cyborg advisor and her former manager, said she is doing all she can read news >>