A planned UFC on FX 5 lightweight contest between Dennis Hallman and Thiago Tavares was called off after Hallman failed to make weight on Thursday, resulting in the Washingtonian receiving his promotional release.

Sherdog.com confirmed the news with Hallman, who has stated that personal issues were the cause of his trouble on the scale. “Superman” also verified that the UFC will pay him both his show and win money in spite of his release. UFC on FX 5 takes place at the Target Center in Minneapolis and is headlined by a heavyweight confrontation between unbeaten Hawaiian prospect Travis Browne and former EliteXC champion Antonio Silva.

Thursday’s situation marks the second time Hallman has failed to make weight since announcing his return to the lightweight division. The 36-year-old previously came in heavy for his UFC 140 meeting with Canadian striker John Makdessi but nevertheless dominated the catch-weight contest, taking “The Bull” to the mat and sealing the deal with a first-round rear-naked choke.

Hallman began his most recent run with the UFC as a welterweight in 2009. After falling via third-round knockout to John Howard at “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 10 finale, Hallman would win three of his next four, outpointing Ben Saunders prior to earning a technical knockout over Karo Parisyan at UFC 123. The 16-year pro was then knocked out last summer by Brian Ebersole at UFC 133 in his final fight at 170 pounds.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Attorney: Following public apology, Wanderlei Silva released from UFC contract

  • 29 days ago
  • 43 views

The UFC on Wednesday released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the industry-leader, freeing him to fight for other promoters, the fighter’s longtime attorney today told MMAjunkie.Filed under: F read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Reportedly Released from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Reaction

  • 29 days ago
  • 6 views

Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie.com reported Thursday the UFC released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the company.The news coincides with Silva recanting his previous claim this past summer that read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Retracts UFC Fight-Fixing Statements, Reportedly Released from Contract

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

While Wanderlei Silva awaits resolution over his lifetime ban handed down by the Nevada Athletic Commission, it appears that he is close to being free of the UFC. read news >>

Cain Velasquez Issues Statement, Apologizes to Fabricio Werdum for Having to Withdraw from UFC 196

  • 18 days ago
  • 14 views

Former heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez released a statement on Sunday via Facebook explaining why he was forced to withdraw from UFC 196. read news >>

Dos Anjos vs. McGregor Now Headlines UFC 196; Hendricks vs. Thompson is a Fight Night

  • 15 days ago
  • 89 views

With a heavyweight championship scrapped, dos Anjos vs. McGregor takes the UFC 196 moniker, while Hendricks vs. Thompson becomes a UFC Fight Night. read news >>

Alexander Yakovlev says win came just as planned, hopes for name opponent next

  • 12 days ago
  • 1 views

NEWARK, N.J. – After a disappointing start to his UFC career, Alexander Yakovlev provided one of the most memorable moments of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 18. “The Thunder of the North” hopes big things ar read news >>

Full WSOF 28: Moraes vs. Barajas Main Card Released

  • 10 days ago
  • 3 views

World Series of Fighting on Tuesday announced two new bouts to complete the WSOF 28: Moraes vs. Barajas main card. read news >>

Jon Fitch to Face Joao Zeferino for Title After WSOF Pres Says Jake Shields Won’t Fight

  • 9 days ago
  • 19 views

The planned WSOF welterweight title fight between Jon Fitch and Jake Shields has been nixed after WSOF president says Shields won't honor contract. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Medical Suspensions: Dominick Cruz Receives 180-Day Suspension

  • 7 days ago
  • 6 views

Dominick Cruz won the bantamweight championship at UFC Fight Night 81 on Jan. 17 in Boston, but didn’t emerge unscathed. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 Medical Suspensions: Six Fighters Could Be Out Six Months

  • 3 days ago
  • 4 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission released the medical suspensions stemming from UFC Fight Night 82 on Feb. 6, and six fighters could potentially be out for six months. read news >>