Dave Jansen Injured, Bellator Champ Michael Chandler Gets New Opponent, New Date


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Michael Chandler 478x270Bellator No. 1 lightweight contender and Season 7 tournament winner Dave Jansen has withdrawn from his Bellator 96 challenge of champion Michael Chandler due to an ACL injury.

Chandler will still defend his belt, but that won’t happen until Bellator 97 on July 31, and he’ll do so against Season 8 tournament winner David Rickels, who now leap-frogs Jansen.

Bellator officials announced the change Sunday morning.

“I’m already back in the gym getting ready for the biggest test of my career,” Rickels said. “I was prepared for another few months off with Jansen already in line for his title shot, but when I got the news I was pumped because I got to enjoy myself for a while after the tournament, but now I’m ready to fight for that belt.”

Rickels defeated Saad Awad at Bellator 94 at the end of March. Now, he’ll make the quick turn for a shot at Bellator gold.

“Chandler is going to bring a huge challenge, but I know I need to focus on my takedown defense, and just push the pace,” he added. “I’ve got to hurt Mike early, let him know I’m not playing around. I think he fights off of confidence more than anything else, so I’m looking to put a lot of doubt into his head early in this fight. Either way, I just can’t wait until July 31st.”

Jansen is obviously disappointed, but intends to heal and then jump right back into his well-earned title challenge.

“It was just sort of a freak injury that happened in grappling, I heard a pop and after visiting the doctor, my fears were confirmed,” Jansen said. “It’s really devastating to me knowing I was so close to getting my shot, but I talked to Bjorn and the Bellator team and they confirmed I’ll be getting my title shot when I’m healthy and ready to go, so I’m going to recover and train as hard as I ever have, and hopefully when I get back into the cage it’s more rewarding than ever.”

Bellator 96 will still take place as scheduled on June 19 at the WinStar World Casino in Oklahoma, but will now feature Muhammad “King Mo” Lawal vs. Seth Petruzelli in a light heavyweight tournament main event bout.

Bellator  96 on June 19th

Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament:
King Mo Lawal (9-2) vs. Seth Petruzelli (14-7)

Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament:
Renato “Babalu” Sobral (37-10) vs. Jacob Noe (11-2)

Bellator Heavyweight Tournament:
Vitaly Minakov (10-0) vs. Ron Sparks (8-1)

Welterweight Feature Fight:
War Machine (12-4) vs. Blas Avena (8-6)

Bellator Heavyweight Tournament:
Vinicius “Spartan” Queiroz (6-3) vs. Rich Hale (21-5)

Bellator 97 on July 31st

Bellator Lightweight Title Fight:
Michael Chandler (11-0) vs. David Rickels (14-1)

Bellator Welterweight Title Fight:
Ben Askren (11-0) vs. Andrey Koreshkov (13-0)

Bellator Welterweight Tournament Finals:
Douglas Lima (24-5) vs. Ben Saunders (16-5-2)

Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament Finals:
TBD vs. TBD

Bellator Featherweight Feature Fight:
Patricio Pitbull (17-2) vs. Rob Emerson (12-10)

(Photo of Michael Chandler courtesy of Bellator MMA)

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 18 days ago
  • 28 views

At the UFC 175 post-fight press conference, focus had already shifted from Chris Weidman’s impressive title defense against Lyoto Machida to whom Weidman will fight next. more

  • 15 days ago
  • 19 views

UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and won't be able to defend his title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight on Fox Sports 1 that UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and his UFC 176 headliner against Chad Mendes is cancelled. This is terrible news for Jose Aldo fans who have had to endure cancelled fight after long injury induced layoffs between rare opportunites to see their man in the Octagon. Since becoming the UFC Featherwei more

  • 12 days ago
  • 70 views

"The Punk" gets punked ... yet again. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight number one contender, Josh Thomson, will no longer throw hands opposite Michael Johnson at the upcoming UFC on FOX 12 event, scheduled for the SAP Center in San Jose, California, on July 26, 2014. That's because "The Menace" has been injured, according to MMA Junkie, and forced to withdraw from the event. To complicate matters, the promotion has roughly two weeks to find a replacement against a fighter more

  • 12 days ago
  • 54 views

The anticipated lightweight match-up between Josh Thomson and Michael Johnson has been discarded after Johnson withdrew with an injury. One of the most exciting contests on the UFC on FOX 12 fight card will no longer be taking place, as Michael Johnson withdrew from his feature fight against Josh Thomson with an undisclosed injury. MMAJunkie.com was the first to report the news. The UFC is still looking for a potential opponent for Thomson, who is coming off a controversial decision loss to form more

  • 12 days ago
  • 29 views

Lightweight contender Michael Johnson has been forced out of his UFC on FOX 12 bout against Josh Thomson due to injury, with Bobby "King" Green stepping in to face "The Punk" on July 26. more

  • 11 days ago
  • 33 views

Bellator MMA featherweight champion Pat Curran will put his belt on the line against a familiar foe at Bellator 123.Filed under: Bellator, News more

  • 8 days ago
  • 19 views

Bellator MMA is going all-in for its head-to-head showdown with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Sept. 5. more

  • 2 days ago
  • 9 views

Bellator interim champ Will Brooks was “shocked” and “surprised” at the promotion’s recent change of leadership. He’s currently lying low, but he still he wants a title-unification bout with Eddie Alvarez.Filed under: Bellator, News (...) more

  • 28 days ago
  • 39 views

The end of the line has come for Eric Prindle and several other fighters, who are no longer on Bellator's roster. Bellator's house cleaning has extended beyond just ousting Bjorn Rebney and Tim Danaher. Earlier this week, the promotion confirmed the release of 19 fighters from its roster, most notably former heavyweight tournament winner Eric Prindle. The 38-year-old went on a run of just 1 win in his last 7 fights, and was stopped by James Thompson earlier this month. Prindle is best known, and more