daniel-cormier-25.jpgSAN JOSE, Calif. – At 34 years old, Daniel Cormier knows time isn’t on his side. But if he does go through with a potential move down to light heavyweight, he doesn’t want an immediate title shot.

Sure, if victorious over heavyweight Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7's co-headliner, Cormier (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has talked about a potential move down to light heavyweight. Despite serious weight-cutting issues that previously derailed his second Olympic run, Cormier is gaining confidence that he could get down to 205 pounds in a safe way.

However, he knows it’ll come with a learning curve, and it’s a big reason he’s forced himself to tap the brakes on a potential title fight with current light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

“At first, I was like so emotionally tied to that fight,” he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I was like, ‘I want to fight Jon Jones. I want to be in that division and fight him immediately.’ But I’m not a very impulsive guy. I kind of think things through.

“I’ve thought about it, and I wouldn’t be opposed to fighting one time before then just to see how my body reacts to the weight cut. It’d be very difficult to fight him in my very first fight (at light heavyweight), in a five-round fight, and my first time down in the weight and everything. As I’ve thought about it, I kind of feel it’d be in our best interest to maybe take a fight.”

If he defeats Mir in their network-televised bout at San Jose, Calif.’s HP Pavilion, Cormier said he, his management team and trainers will talk to UFC officials about what’s next. However, if he does eventually get a shot against Jones, who first has to get by Chael Sonnen next week at UFC 159, Cormier doesn’t want to waste the opportunity or have to stress about the unknowns.

“What if it doesn’t work out well?” he asked. “What if I get in a fight with a guy and I can’t do anything but wrestle him because my arms are tired and my body’s just not responding to the weight cut? I don’t want that guy to be Jon Jones. Seriously, can you imagine standing in there against him and not feeling your best? That would be horrible.”

But if he does decide to try his luck in the lighter division, Cormier said he’s going to be diligent about it. If he stays at heavyweight, he wants another fight in two or three months. But if he makes the plunge to light heavyweight, he could take off up to half a year to assure he makes the drop the best and safest way possible.

Still, he admits it’s a topic best discussed after Saturday’s fight. He hasn’t formed a definitive game plan simply because he’s so centered on the task at hand.

“Right now, I’m so focused on Frank, I haven’t really thought about the 205 thing,” he said. “… I’ve been so thorough in my preparation for Frank that 205 really hasn’t been on my radar. I’ll think about that whenever this is done.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Daniel Cormier comments on UFC stripping Jones of title: ‘This is a sad day for our sport’

Newly announced UFC 187 main eventer Daniel Cormier commented on the UFC’s decision to strip Jon Jones of his title. On Tuesday night, the UFC announced that they would strip Jon Jones of his light-h read news >>

Jon Jones stripped of title, Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson for belt headlines UFC 187

The best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is no longer a UFC champion. The UFC stripped Jon Jones of his light heavyweight title Tuesday night in the wake of his arrest on felony hit-and-run char read news >>

Daniel Cormier reacts to Jon Jones getting stripped of title and replacing him at UFC 187

As announced on Tuesday night on "FOX Sports Live," Daniel Cormier will now fight Anthony Johnson for the undisputed UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas. Jon Jones was strip read news >>

Jon Jones suspended, stripped of title; Daniel Cormier fights Anthony Johnson at UFC 187

In a bombshell announcement on Fox Sports Live, UFC president Dana White confirmed that Jon Jones has been stripped of his belt, which will now be contested between Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson read news >>

AKA fighters respond to Dana White's criticism: 'He says stone age, I say old school'

Cain Velasquez, Daniel Cormier, Luke Rockhold and others share their thoughts on comments made by the UFC president. Earlier this week, UFC president Dana White blasted the American Kickboxing Academ read news >>

Gian Villante: 'I don’t know how many people hit harder than me' at 205

NEWARK -- After his UFC on FOX 15: Machida vs. Rockhold win over Corey Anderson, Gian Villante talks his hard leg kicks, fighting in front of his local fans and being one of the hardest hitters in th read news >>

UFC on FOX 15 results: Chris Dempsey edges split decision over Eddie Gordon

In his first UFC fight at 185 pounds, Chris Dempsey’s dogged pursuit of Eddie Gordon paid off when the bout went the distance.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bilyal Makhov, UFC heavyweight champ? Trainer says in six months, he beats Velasquez

At 6-5, 285 pounds and with an Olympic wrestling gold medal (or two) currently his top priority, Bilyal Makhov believes he could be a future UFC heavyweight champ. His trainer all but guarantees it.F read news >>

Video: Watch super heavyweight 'Huggy Bear' land some spinning sh-t

At 330 or so pounds, Chris Barnett is bound to turn some heads, but despite six consecutive knockouts wins – including this doozy from this past weekend – “Huggy Bear” is arguably flying under the ra read news >>