Anderson Silva vs Georges St-Pierre UFC

Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre

“I say it all the time, I truly believe that my job is to give people the fights that they want to see. The fights that they want to pay for.”

That has been UFC president Dana White’s mantra for a long time, and he reiterated that sentiment after UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre defeated Josh Koscheck at UFC 124 in Montreal in December.

There is one fight that fans have been clamoring to see for the past couple of years: Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre. Thus far, White hasn’t made it happen, but it appears that the two are on a collision course and could meet as soon as this year.

Silva steps into the main event of UFC 126 to defend his middleweight title against Vitor Belfort. St-Pierre is slated to face Jake Shields in defense of his belt at UFC 129 at the end of April.

“(If Silva wins against Belfort on Feb. 5), then Georges St-Pierre needs to beat Jake Shields in Toronto. That happens, then we’re probably gonna do that fight,” White told the troops that assembled on Friday for a question and answer session.

“If they both win, that fight makes all the sense in the world.”

One key factor holding up the fight has been St-Pierre’s reluctance to bounce around weight classes or fight at a catch weight. St-Pierre has fought his entire career at welterweight and has become the most dominant fighter in the class. If he has to change weight classes to fight Silva, it’s going to be a permanent move.

“If I go up in a weight class, I’m going to have to put muscle on my body because I’m going to be too small for 185,” St-Pierre said after UFC 124. “If I put muscle on my body and I go up to 185, I’m going to have to stay at 185. I don’t want to go up and down because when you go up and down, you see what happened to Roy Jones (Jr.) it messed up the reaction time.

“If I want to go up, I’m going to stay up. I don’t want to play up, down, up, down.”

Ronda Rousey’s UFC Return Planned for November or December

Ronda Rousey won't be back in time for UFC 200, but Dana White makes it sound as if she might be on target for a date in New York. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey's UFC Return Amid Miesha Tate Fight Rumours

UFC president Dana White believes former women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is "ready to fight" again, and she will return to the Octagon in November or December. That could open the door for read news >>

Michael Bisping Video: ‘I Deserve a Title Fight’

With his recent win over Anderson Silva, Michael Bisping believes that he deserves a shot at the UFC middleweight champion. read news >>

Is Anderson Silva Wanting to ‘Test Himself’ Against Conor McGregor an Attempt to Cash In Before Retiring?

Is Anderson Silva wanting to "challenge himself' against Conor McGregor nothing more than the Brazilian looking to cash in big before retiring? read news >>

Why Anthony Johnson isn’t Fighting Jon Jones at UFC 197?

Why didn't Anthony "Rumble" Johnson get the call to fight Jon Jones at UFC 197? UFC president Dana White explains. read news >>

Dana White Lookin’ for a Fight, Episode 4: UFC Boy Band, Snowboarding, and Prospects Found

During episode 4 of Looking' for a Fight, UFC president Dana White, former champion Matt Serra and Nick "The Tooth" head to Minneapolis to scout a heavyweight prospect. read news >>

'Dana White: Lookin' for a Fight,' episode 4 with discovery of UFC 197's Cody East

“Dana White: Lookin’ for a Fight” is back with its fourth episode, which can now be watched in its entirety.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Nunes challenges Miesha Tate for women's bantamweight title at UFC 200

Dana White said we might get a women’s title fight at UFC 200, and now we have one. Miesha Tate will defend her bantamweight title for the first time when she meets Amanda Nunes. Filed under: Feature read news >>

RFA 37 Results and Highlights: Leandro Higo and Devin Clark Take the Gold

With UFC President Dana White in attendance, Resurrection Fighting Alliance put on one of its most exciting shows ever as RFA 37 delivered six stunning finishes. read news >>

RFA 37 highlights: It was 'insanity – the whole night,' and here's why (clue: Dana White)

Friday’s RFA 37 event produced a night of knockouts and submissions. It was also an unofficial tryout for UFC contracts thanks to one special guest.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured Videos, News, read news >>