Chuck Liddell: I didn't want to stop, but it was the right decision

• submit to reddit

chuck-liddell-13.jpgIt’s been almost three years since UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell (21-8 MMA, 16-7 UFC) last appeared in the UFC’s octagon. And while “The Iceman” admits he struggled with the choice to walk away, Liddell now admits it was certainly the proper decision.

Liddell discussed the final days of his career at a recent fan Q&A session in Brazil, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) attended. The 43-year-old revealed that while UFC President Dana White had openly lobbied for Liddell to walk away from the sport, it was ultimately the former light heavyweight champ who decided he was done competing.

“I talked to my family, my coaches, and then I went to Dana,” Liddell said. “I talked to Dana. Dana and I actually went to dinner, and he thought I was going to ask him to fight again. I came to dinner, and I said, ‘You know what? I’m done.’ He was relieved.”

Liddell, whose retirement officially was announced in December 2010, remains a part of the UFC as the company’s executive vice president of business development. He said he made his decision to hang up his gloves several months before White made the public declaration at a pre-UFC 125 press conference but asked his employer to hold off on the announcement so he could adjust to life as an ex-fighter.

“Obviously [White] had made comments that he didn’t want me to fight again,” Liddell said. “He was relieved, and then I asked him to just hold off for about three months and give me some time to get adjusted to it before I have to talk to people about it because it was a hard decision for me.

“I love fighting, and I didn’t want to stop, but it was the right decision at the time between my coaches and my family.”

Liddell remains a huge fight fan and is often seen cageside at UFC events both domestic and abroad. He continues to actively train in the sport, as well, and admits he’s become fascinated with the jiu-jitsu side of MMA after spending his career as a noted knockout artist.

Sure, the itch to compete still lingers. But Liddell knows his days have passed – though he admits if fellow retiree Tito Ortiz returned to the sport, he might possibly be persuaded to give it another go.

“I’d always like to hit Tito,” Liddell joked. “That would always be fun, so that’s a possibility, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

“I think I made the right decision in retiring. Unless something changes, I’ll stay retired.”

Former welterweight champion Pat Miletich became the 12th inductee into the UFC Hall of Fame on Sunday. more

LAS VEGAS -- Watch former UFC champion Pat Miletich be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame on Sunday afternoon at the UFC Fan Expo. Miletich was the lone person to be inducted this year. more

The first ever Welterweight (then called Lightweight) champ of the UFC and one of the game's most successful coaches has finally been inducted into the HOF. more

And it only took eight years!
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White once called former welterweight champion Pat Miletich a "paranoid lunatic," while bagging on the "Croatian Sensation" for his role in the now-defunct International Fight League (IFL).
Read those comments here.
But time heals all wounds, and the "Sin City" fight boss has finally admitted his mistreatment of the mixed martial arts (MMA) pioneer, telling the gang at MMA Fight Corner that not only was he at fault more

Tune in Thursday, July 3, at 6 p.m. EST, for Knockout Radio LIVE with soon-to-be UFC Hall of Famer, MMA pioneer Pat Miletich, and The Ultimate Fighter 19 finalists Dhiego Lima and Matt Van Buren. more

Inaugural welterweight champion and famous trainer, Pat Miletich, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at UFC's Fan Expo. Let's take a look back into his incredible career.
After retiring almost eight years ago, feuding with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) head honcho Dana White, and working as a commentator for the organization's biggest competition (at the time), Pat Miletich is finally being inducted into UFC's Hall of Fame this weekend.
He must have done somethi more

LAS VEGAS – MMA trailblazer, former UFC champion, noted trainer and respected broadcaster Pat Miletich is officially a member of the UFC Hall of Fame.Filed under: News, UFC more

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

Pat Miletich discusses getting inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame. more