Chris Lytle at TUF 9After 13 years of professional competition, UFC on Versus 5 main event fighter Chris Lytle is retiring from the UFC and mixed martial arts.

The fighter informed NBCSports.com of the news and MMAWeekly.com later confirmed the information through an independent source.

Lytle, who is still scheduled to face Dan Hardy at UFC on Versus 5: Hardy vs. Lytle in Milwaukee on Sunday night, has fought professionally since 1998 and cites feeling guilty for being away from his children as one of the reasons why he is calling it a career.

“I feel like I’m not being the type of dad I want to,” Lytle told NBCSports.com. “I got four kids and lots of time I feel just an immense sense of guilt for not being there in times when I should.”

Dan Hardy found out about Lytle’s intention to retire straight from his opponent at the weigh-ins. The British fighter was surprised Lytle informed him of the plans to call it a career, but feels honored to be his last opponent.

“Obviously, he wants to go out with a good, hard fight instead of his last one where he really didn’t get to engage much,” Hardy told MMAWeekly.com on Saturday night. “And what he said to me at the weigh-ins, he said, ‘this is my last one, so let’s make it a good one.’ And I said, ‘it will be a good one… we’ll have a great fight.’

“He wants to go out on a good fight and I’m honored that he’s picked me to do it.”

Hardy sees the main event for UFC on Versus 5 as an opportunity for both fighters to showcase their stand-up abilities. “The Outlaw” is known to stand and trade with fighters and feels Lytle will want that kind of fight.

Having a “Chris Lytle” kind of fight is the perfect way to close the book on a career.

“I think, more than anything, he wants to have a ‘Chrs Lytle’ fight to finish his career,” Hardy explained. “And I think he knows that I don’t mind standing and trading punches with him and I don’t mind a fast-paced fight.

“I certainly think that he’ll come out with all guns blazing because of it and I think might make for a very great fight.”

Lytle will go into UFC on Versus 5 with a record of 30-18-5 and will surely look to end his career on a winning note.

Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter or e-mail Erik Fontanez.
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Dan Hardy Responds to Mickey Gall's Callout

Mickey Gall, fresh off the Saturday chokeout of Sage Northcutt he requested and predicted, has now called out Dan Hardy. Dan Hardy just might be willing to come out of retirement and grant the young read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Dominick Cruz vs. Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207

Ahead of UFC 207, UFC Fight Pass analyst Dan Hardy and broadcast partner John Gooden break down the co-headliner between bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz and challenger Cody Garbrandt.Filed under: Ne read news >>

UFC 207 Preview: Dominick Curz vs. Cody Garbrandt | MMAWeekly.com

John Gooden and Dan Hardy analyze the UFC 207 bantamweight title bout between champion Dominick Cruz and the undefeated Cody Garbrandt. read news >>

Report: MMA legend, Rizin FF tourney winner Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic retires again

Fresh off of winning the Rizin FF Grand Prix Open Weight 2016, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic is apparently hanging up his gloves – again.Filed under: News read news >>

Chris Lytle Bothered By Athletes Not Using Influence to Create Positive Change | MMAWeekly.com

Professional athletes wield more influence than some of them realize. They're heroes to an impressionable youth, but aren't always role models. read news >>

Evangelista 'Cyborg' Santos Retires: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos' mixed martial arts career has come to an end after 20 years. Cyborg announced his retirement from the sport in an interview with Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting on Monday. read news >>

Chris Lytle: 'Conor McGregor Fighting Floyd Mayweather is Smart Fight' | MMAWeekly.com

The talk about UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor and boxing legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. fighting seemed farfetched until Friday. read news >>

BJ Penn's Coach 'Very Supportive' of Him Retiring (UFC Phoenix video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 20 hours ago

BJ Penn's coach Jason Parillo reacts to the UFC Hall of Famer's devastating loss to Yair Rodriguez in the main event of UFC Fight Night Phoenix on Sunday. read news >>