Chris Lytle at TUF 9After 13 years of professional competition, UFC on Versus 5 main event fighter Chris Lytle is retiring from the UFC and mixed martial arts.

The fighter informed of the news and later confirmed the information through an independent source.

Lytle, who is still scheduled to face Dan Hardy at UFC on Versus 5: Hardy vs. Lytle in Milwaukee on Sunday night, has fought professionally since 1998 and cites feeling guilty for being away from his children as one of the reasons why he is calling it a career.

“I feel like I’m not being the type of dad I want to,” Lytle told “I got four kids and lots of time I feel just an immense sense of guilt for not being there in times when I should.”

Dan Hardy found out about Lytle’s intention to retire straight from his opponent at the weigh-ins. The British fighter was surprised Lytle informed him of the plans to call it a career, but feels honored to be his last opponent.

“Obviously, he wants to go out with a good, hard fight instead of his last one where he really didn’t get to engage much,” Hardy told on Saturday night. “And what he said to me at the weigh-ins, he said, ‘this is my last one, so let’s make it a good one.’ And I said, ‘it will be a good one… we’ll have a great fight.’

“He wants to go out on a good fight and I’m honored that he’s picked me to do it.”

Hardy sees the main event for UFC on Versus 5 as an opportunity for both fighters to showcase their stand-up abilities. “The Outlaw” is known to stand and trade with fighters and feels Lytle will want that kind of fight.

Having a “Chris Lytle” kind of fight is the perfect way to close the book on a career.

“I think, more than anything, he wants to have a ‘Chrs Lytle’ fight to finish his career,” Hardy explained. “And I think he knows that I don’t mind standing and trading punches with him and I don’t mind a fast-paced fight.

“I certainly think that he’ll come out with all guns blazing because of it and I think might make for a very great fight.”

Lytle will go into UFC on Versus 5 with a record of 30-18-5 and will surely look to end his career on a winning note.

Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter or e-mail Erik Fontanez.
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow on Twitter and Facebook.

Legacy FC 60 Results and Highlights: Brian Heden Retires Tyler East |

Legacy FC 60 headliner Tyler East announced his retirement from MMA after rival Brian Heden knocked him out. read news >>

Vitor Belfort to announce retirement after UFC 204

UFC legend Vitor Belfort could be retiring after his fight against Gegard Mousasi at UFC 204.The big story line of UFC 204 is legend Dan Henderson looking to claim the one belt that has eluded him by read news >>

Dan Henderson Retires: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

In advance of UFC 204, Dan Henderson was adamant he would retire regardless of how his rematch with Michael Bisping proceeded. As it turns out, per Ariel Helwani of, Henderson stayed read news >>

Dan Henderson believes he should be retiring as UFC middleweight champion

Dan Henderson frustrated after feeling like he did enough to beat Michael Bisping read news >>

Vitor Belfort Retires: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Vitor Belfort's historic mixed martial arts career has come to an end after his technical-knockout loss against Gegard Mousasi at UFC 204 on Oct. 8. Belfort announced his decision to hang up the glov read news >>

Despite reports, Vitor Belfort says he's not retiring: 'The Phenom' is back

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort isn’t hanging up the gloves just yet, despite what you may have read.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo Says He Is Rethinking Decision to Retire from MMA

It looked like MMA fighter Jose Aldo was retiring from the Octagon in September, when he made public his dissatisfaction with the UFC for not giving him a rematch with Conor McGregor. But on Saturday read news >>

UFC Sacramento: Brad Pickett is Honored to be Urijah Fabers Last Opponent

• a day ago

British WEC-UFC veteran Brad Pickett is both sad and excited about sharing the cage with Urijah Faber during his retirement fight.No one expected the bombshell that Urijah Faber dropped on the fight read news >>