chad-mendes-25.jpgWith four straight knockout wins under his belt, Chad Mendes believes he’s just about due for a rematch with UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo. But he could see himself moving to 135 pounds, at some point, as well.

“That’s actually something I have considered, and I definitely could,” Mendes said when asked at a weekend Q&A event if he’d ever consider a move to bantamweight. “I’m not the biggest 145-pounder. I think I’m probably medium-sized for 145, but I could definitely make 135 if need be. But yeah, I’d like to make another run, hopefully win the belt at 145, defend it a few times and then depending on what my body says, if it allows it, I’d like to go down to 135, too.”

Mendes, of course, fought for Aldo’s belt in January 2012, traveling to Brazil to fight the champ on his home soil. The Team Alpha Male product fought well for most of the opening round but was knocked out with one second left in the frame by a beautiful turning knee strike from the champ.

He’s since been on a mission to get a rematch, knocking out Clay Guida, Darren Elkins, Yaotzin Meza and Cody McKenzie in successive outings. Mendes (15-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) hoped that was enough to get him another shot at the belt, but Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) suffered a broken foot in his August win over Chan Sung Jung and was forced to the sidelines. Mendes was instead booked to face Nik Lentz (24-5-2 MMA, 8-2-1 UFC) at December’s “UFC on FOX 9: Pettis vs. Thomson” event in Sacramento, Calif.

Aldo is now in talks to face Ricardo Lamas in early 2014, but Mendes said he’s fine with how things played out.

“It kind of bummed me out a little bit that I wasn’t getting a title shot, but this is a business, and I understand why I’m not,” Mendes said. “Aldo broke his foot, and they’re coming to Sacramento. He wasn’t going to be ready in time, and for me, I hate waiting. I’d like to get in there and fight, make some money and stay sharp and keep everything crisp. They offered me the fight with Nik Lentz, and that’s what I’m going to do.

“I’m going to fight in front of my hometown, Sacramento, and put on a great show, hopefully get in there and get another knockout and be the first one in UFC history to get five in a row. That’s the goal. Hopefully it happens, and I’m hoping and I’m praying that’s what’s next for me after that. Can’t overlook Nik Lentz though. He’s a tough guy. He’s coming down from 155, so he’s a big featherweight, and he’s a grinder. Those guys are always dangerous, so I’m definitely focused.”

Lentz is currently unbeaten in three fights at featherweight, and he’ll certainly present a stern challenge to Mendes. But if “Money” prevails, it would be hard to deny him another shot at the title. So a potential move to bantamweight may still be sometime away.

Still, it’s an intriguing possibility that gives Mendes future career options, and maybe even the ability to join a select few fighters as a dual-division champion.

“I think if I win this fight, I should be fighting for the title again at 145 anyway, but it is definitely something I would consider doing in the future,” Mendes said. “Right now, probably not. We’ve got a couple of guys that are still fighting at 135 that I think have a chance to win the belt. I’m obviously going to let them have their run and let them do their thing.

“But in the future, if my body allows – if I’m not getting too old and beat up – then it’s definitely a possibility.”

For more on UFC on FOX 9, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Fighting for Barnett leads to fulfilling life

To Josh Barnett, fighting is more than just about a physical contest or wins and losses. It's about leading a fulfilling life. Barnett headlines Fight Night Hamburg against Andrei Arlovski on Sept. 3 read news >>

Titan FC 41 Results: Kalindra Faria Wins Inaugural Bantamweight Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Kalindra Faria closed out her trilogy of fights with Carina Damm, winning a unanimous decision to capture the inaugural Titan FC bantamweight championship. read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Cheick Kongo, Joe Warren Pick Up Wins in Texas | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 161 landed in Cedar Park, Texas on Friday night, and the card was capped off with a heavyweight affair. read news >>

Canelo Alvarez Wins WBO Light Middleweight Championship, Besting Liam Smith | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports Mexican boxing star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez simultaneously proved both his star and punching power as he put away plucky Brit Liam Smith to earn the WBO light mi read news >>

Rizin FF 2 results and highlights: 'Cro Cop' wins tourney opener, gets Wanderlei Silva next

Kron Gracie’s world-class ground game was again on display in Sunday’s Rizin FF 2 headliner. However, a potential second-round open-weight grand prix bout was the story of the night.Filed under: News read news >>

Dana White: If Conor McGregor Wins Second Belt, It Will Be a Short Reign | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

If Conor McGregor wins the lightweight championship at UFC 205 in New York, he would become a two-division champion. If so, it could be a short reign. read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

• a day ago

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Interim champ Jose Aldo wants UFC contract terminated after Alvarez vs. McGregor booking

• 23 hours ago

Former featherweight champ and now interim titleholder [autotag]Jose Aldo[/autotag] says he no longer wants to fight for the UFC. Following UFC 205’s main-event booking, a lightweight title affair be read news >>

If Victorious, Conor McGregor Not Giving Up Either UFC Belt Voluntarily | MMAWeekly.com

• 23 hours ago

If Conor McGregor wins a second belt in November, Dana White has said he'll then have give one up. McGregor doesn't plan on following that script. read news >>