Brian Foster will not compete in the Bellator Season 6 welterweight tournament as originally expected.

According to an official release distributed by the promotion on Thursday, Foster has been deemed ineligible to fight at Bellator 63 on March 30 by the Mohegan Sun Commission. Foster will apparently need to undergo additional medical testing before he is allowed to fight, though the nature of Foster’s condition was not revealed.

Stepping up to replace the UFC veteran in the tournament will be twice-beaten Jordan Smith (Pictured, left), who now meets David Rickels in the Season 6 quarterfinals. Bellator 63 takes place at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., and airs live on MTV2 and Epix.

“Brian’s a hugely talented fighter who we were hoping to see next Friday, but his Bellator premiere will need to be delayed just a bit,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney in the release, “but to pick up a rising star in Jordan Smith and place him into the fire of our $100,000 welterweight tournament is what makes great moments. The Mohegan Sun Commission is one of the best in the world, and we support their decision.”

Foster dealt with a pair of health issues near the end of his UFC run, suffering from a brain hemorrhage and a burst testicle. Recovered from both injuries, Foster posted a pair of victories in October 2011 to extended his winning streak to four fights.

A veteran of 20 professional bouts, Smith, 27, earned a 2-1 record last year, rebounding from a loss to former WEC staple Tim McKenzie to best UFC vet Karo Parisyan and onetime Strikeforce competitor Josh McDonald to cap 2011. “Mata Ele” has finished 14 of his 17 career victims and has been knocked out only once since beginning his career in 2007.

“This is the best opportunity I’ve ever had in my career,” Smith said. “This is the break I’ve been waiting for. What I like about Bellator is there’s a clear line of sight to the title.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Rampage Jackson accuses Bellator of phony injunction, expects to compete at UFC 186

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

Bellator MMA filed an injunction earlier this week in the Chancery Division of the Superior Court in Burlington County, New Jersey, one that is expected to keep Quinton Jackson from competing at the read news >>

Bellator 136 'Brooks vs. Jansen' gets five new fights

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

Bellator has updated another fight card for its 2015 season, and this time it's "Brooks vs. Jansen" scheduled for April 10th at the Bren Events Center in Irvine, California. California knows how to p read news >>

Bellator Sues to Block Rampage Jackson's UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator MMA has filed a lawsuit to try and block Quinton “Rampage” Jackson from making his UFC return. read news >>

Bellator goes to court to keep 'Rampage' Jackson from fighting in UFC

  • 28 days ago
  • 2 views

If you're looking forward to a slugfest between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Fabio Maldonado on April 25th in Montreal at UFC 186, Bellator MMA has other ideas. It was a newsworthy weekend for Quint read news >>

Bellator Files Lawsuit Against Rampage, Puts UFC Return in Jeopardy

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator isn’t letting Quinton “Rampage” Jackson go without a fight. A statement was released to Bleacher Report on Monday detailing a lawsuit that has been filed against the MMA legend for signing w read news >>

UFC 186: Bellator lawsuit may force Rampage Jackson off card

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator MMA has filed a court injunction in New Jersey to prevent Quinton Jackson from returning to the UFC this April. Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson is scheduled to fight Fa read news >>

'Rampage' Jackson calls 'King Mo' Lawal a coward following Bellator 134 victory over Cheick Kongo

  • 28 days ago
  • 81 views

It's no secret that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal aren't pals -- having sparred both verbally and physically in the past -- but Jackson couldn't resist getting in an extra di read news >>

Bellator files lawsuit against 'Rampage' Jackson ahead of scheduled UFC return

  • 28 days ago
  • 2 views

Bellator MMA today filed a lawsuit to block onetime tournament winner Quinton Jackson from fighting in the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator files court injunction to remove Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson from UFC 186 competition

  • 28 days ago
  • 1 views

The future of former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson is anything but clear. Despite leaving Bellator in December of 2014 after three fights with the organization and being booked oppos read news >>