Michael Bisping (file photo) scored an emotional win over Jorge Rivera at UFC 127. | Sherdog.com

Michael Bisping got what he wanted out of UFC 127.

The British middleweight found himself victorious in Sydney, Australia, on Saturday night, his hands raised high as his fallen foe lay crumpled beneath him. The route Bisping traveled to arrive at that moment, however, may be talked about for some time to come.

After dictating the striking early in his co-main event scrap with Jorge Rivera, Bisping began to execute takedowns for which Rivera had no answer. Following one such grappling exchange, Bisping grabbed the kneeling Rivera in a Thai clinch and blasted “El Conquistador” square in the face with a knee.

It appeared the fight would be stopped by the cageside physician, but at the last moment, a game Rivera informed referee Marc Goddard that he could continue. Bisping was docked a point, but Rivera appeared to be on rubbery legs from that moment onward. Postfight, Rivera’s camp reportedly complained that the illegal knee was thrown deliberately. However, “The Count” claims that the strike was an accident that may be chalked up to emotion and adrenaline taking over.

“The knee certainly wasn’t on purpose,” Bisping said during the postfight press conference. “He was getting up off the ground, and I pulled the trigger too early. It happens a lot. This is a fast-moving sport. No one wants to see a fight won or lost in that fashion.”

The 185-pound contest carried with it some extra heat, due in large part to a series of YouTube video released by Rivera in which the American relentlessly mocked his English opponent. According to Bisping, the videos hit a bit too close to home. Following the fight’s finish, the Wolfslair Academy product spat at the American corner and verbally taunted Rivera before eventually embracing the man he had just battered.

“He was very insulting toward me. He was mocking me on the Internet, talking about myself and my family. But it built up inside me, and I blew up a little bit, so I apologize,” said Bisping. “[The videos] definitely motivated me and made me work harder. Trash talk is part of the game, and I let it get to me too much. But I’m an emotional guy. Everything that comes out of my mouth comes from my heart. I am who I am. He embarrassed me, mocking me all over the world. But I should have been the better man and taken that on the chin a little better.”

Regarding the fight, Bisping believes he executed his game plan against a worthy adversary, regardless of the illegal blow.

“I thought I gave a good performance. I respect Jorge. He’s been around the game a long time. He gave Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin good fights, so he is no walk in the park,” Bisping stated. “I prepared for this fight hard fight like always do. I thought I had his number. I was getting those takedowns. I hit him with that right hand and felt him wobble a bit, and I knew it was time to go for the finish.”

Reader comments are active below. Chime in with an opinion or thought by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.

Vitor Belfort vs. Gegard Mousasi in the Works for UFC 204

With Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson targeted as the UFC 204 headliner, a marquee match-up between Vitor Belfort and Gegard Mousasi is also in the works. read news >>

Michael Bisping Announces Fight with Dan Henderson in Manchester

Though the UFC has yet to make it official, Michael Bisping took it upon himself to announce his title defense against Dan Henderson. read news >>

Michael Bisping Expects Dan Henderson to 'Cheat' in Reported Rematch at UFC 204

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expecting Dan Henderson to “cheat” in their rumoured rematch. According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Bisping will face the veteran on October 8 in a r read news >>

UFC's Era of Money (and Moneyweight) Fights Has Begun, and There's No Going Back

Shortly after Michael Bisping realized his career-long goal of capturing the UFC middleweight championship, the question of who he might fight next followed. It is a simple and obvious one, almost ma read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Hendo is Official; Includes Belfort vs. Mousasi and Struve vs. Magomedov

The all-but-confirmed UFC 204 headlining bout between Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson is now confirmed, as are several other UFC 204 bouts. read news >>

Watch the UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 Press Conference Streaming Live at 5 PM ET

Watch as the stars of UFC 204, Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson, field questions from the media on Friday at 5 p.m. ET, live from Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 Press Conference Video Replay

The headliners of UFC 204, Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson, fielded questions from the media on Friday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Dan Henderson to Retire After UFC 204: Latest Comments and Reaction

UFC's Dan Henderson announced Friday that his fight against Michael Bisping at UFC 204 on Oct. 8 will be the final one of his career, via ESPN.com's Arash Markazi. Henderson is 32-14 in his career an read news >>

Bisping seeks vengeance, Hendo wants to leave with belt

Middleweight champ Michael Bisping will defend his title for the first time at home in Manchester, England on Saturday, October 8 when he takes on MMA icon Dan Henderson in the main event of UFC 204. read news >>