Though still an unknown commodity to many casual observers, Antonio Silva has steadily seen his stock rise as a legitimate heavyweight talent while competing outside the UFC.

After stumbling in his 2009 Strikeforce debut against Fabricio Werdum, “Bigfoot” recovered with a trio of victories, topping ex-UFC champ Andre Arlovski, Mike Kyle and onetime Pride Fighting Championships kingpin Fedor Emelianenko. The massive Brazilian suffered a first-round knockout at the hands of Daniel Cormier last September, but now looks toward his UFC debut against Cormier’s teammate, Cain Velasquez. Silva locks horns with the former UFC belt holder Saturday night at UFC 146.

While Silva says that his loss to Cormier in the Strikeforce grand prix semifinals served as a disappointing end to his tenure in the hexagon, “Pezao” is now solely focused on making a good impression when he steps into the Octagon tonight at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“[Fighting in the UFC] is a dream come true,” said Silva during a recent media teleconference. “It’s a dream that any athlete in our sport wants to live out, and everybody can be sure that on the 26th of May, I will give out a great fight.”

Though many expect big things from the big man as he embarks on his UFC career, Silva says he feels little pressure prior to his clash with the highly-regarded former champion.

“It’s always difficult, because I believe that the best fighters in the world in my category are in the UFC, but I’m very relaxed and feeling very well,” said Silva. “It’s a great opportunity that the UFC is giving me for my first fight against one of the top [heavyweights] in the world. I’m the underdog in this fight, and it takes a lot of responsibility off my back, so I feel very comfortable with that.”

Now making his home in Florida, Silva returned to his former camp at American Top Team to prepare for his clash with Velasquez. Though Pezao insists he still officially represents Rio de Janeiro’s Team Nogueira, the heavyweight says he received excellent training on the mats of ATT.

“One of my managers [Dan Lambert] is also owner of American Top Team,” said Silva. “He helped me bringing in top wrestlers -- one guy that's a two-time world champion wrestler -- and some big strikers from Holland. It has made things easier for me here so I don’t have to be away from my family during the camp.”

Silva is as well-known among fans for his massive frame as he is for his potent jiu-jitsu game and devastating ground-and-pound. However, prior to his upcoming bout, Silva enlisted the help of ex-fighter and nutrition guru Mike Dolce. Silva says that Dolce has helped him stay lean, a fact that the Brazilian believes will behoove him on fight night.

“Things are going really well for the first time before a fight. I’m feeling very light and fast,” said Silva. “Cain Velasquez is a lighter and much faster fighter and is diametrically opposed to my strong points, which are my strength and my jiu-jitsu. I will try to come in a little bit lighter to be able to counter his speed and his lightness. I think that will be favorable to me.”

Julianna Pena Wants a Title Shot After Valentina Shevchenko or She Quits | MMAWeekly.com

Julianna Pena headlines her first UFC when she squares off with Valentina Shevchenko at UFC on FOX 23 in Denver, but she's not happy about it. read news >>

UFC 206: The Thrill and The Agony Video | MMAWeekly.com

Go behind the scenes for the highs and lows of UFC 206 featuring Cub Swanson, Dooho Choi, Donald Cerrone, Matt Brown, Anthony Pettis, and Max Holloway. read news >>

UFC on FOX 22 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 22 event, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some of those reactions. read news >>

After UFC on FOX 22 loss, Sage Northcutt again changing divisions

Sage Northcutt is returning to the division where his UFC career began in such promising fashion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Hector Sandoval injured hip in first round against Fredy Serrano

SACRAMENTO – UFC flyweight Hector Sandoval didn’t think much of Freddy Serrano and predicted a second-round finish in their UFC Fight Pass prelim at UFC on FOX 22. Fate had something else in mind.Fil read news >>

Disappointed Sultan Aliev admits playing it safe against Bojan Velickovic at UFC on FOX 22

SACRAMENTO – After nearly two years on the sidelines and a knockout loss in his UFC debut, welterweight Sultan Aliev admitted he was weighed down by pressure at UFC on FOX 22.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC-debut win, Paul Craig 'won't accept anything less' than top-15 competition

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – After handing Luis Henrique da Silva his first career loss, Scottish light heavyweight Paul Craig is already thinking big: "I’m going to make waves within the UFC’s light-heavywe read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Eddie Wineland wants off UFC Fight Pass so he can avoid Best Buy

SACRAMENTO – Among UFC bantamweight Eddie Wineland’s first words backstage to UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby were “no more Fight Pass,” with an expletive thrown in for good measure.Filed under: Featured read news >>

The UFC Women's Featherweight Title Is a Conspiracy in the Making

It’s been the better part of a week now, and still none of this is sitting right. The UFC announced last week UFC 208 would feature a women’s featherweight title fight, a concession to the excellence read news >>

10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22: Waterson, Gall and uncensored Cruz vs. Garbrandt

Check out 10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22 – some of which took place in the cage and a few outside of it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>