Ben Askren knows who he is.

Though the wrestler has drawn the ire of many fans for his grinding but effective style, Bellator’s welterweight champion says he will nonetheless stand by his skills as he defends his title for the third time against Karl Amoussou in tonight’s Bellator 86 main event at the Winstar World Casino in Thackerville, Okla.

“I’m never going to change my style. I am who I am, and I’m not afraid to be that guy,” Askren recently said during a media conference call. “I’ve had a lot of time since my last fight, and I have made serious improvements in a lot of areas. Nevertheless, I’ll never be as good at anything else as I am at wrestling. Wrestling is my base, and I’m not shy about admitting that. I’m actually proud that I grew up a wrestler.”

A two-time Dan Hodge Trophy winner at the University of Missouri, Askren most recently defended his belt against Douglas Lima last April, overwhelming the Season 5 tournament winner with takedowns and top control en route to a unanimous decision victory. The triumph extended his career winning streak to 10 fights and brought the 2008 Olympian his seventh consecutive win in the Bellator cage. Despite his dominance, Askren was booed for his efforts, a fact that “Funky” says will not affect him moving forward.

“The one thing I [learned] from the Lima fight is that people want to see me lose for whatever reason -- my attitude, my style, I don’t know what it is. But when I get on top -- and I do get on top fast and frequently -- they know that the bottom guy has zero chance to escape and zero chance to submit me,” said Askren. “So it’s a rather boring fight for them, because they want to see me lose, but they know in their hearts that it’s not going to happen and they’re going to be disappointed for 25 minutes. Come Thursday, those fans are going to be disappointed again, because there is no way that belt is leaving my waist.”

In Amoussou, Askren faces a fighter not unlike Lima. Fast, explosive and powerful, “Psycho” is known to do his best work early in a fight. The Frenchman is just 3-3-1 when going the distance, picking up all three of his wins via split decision. This is a fact not lost on Askren, who most expect will try to wear Amoussou down over the course of five rounds when the two collide live on Spike TV.

“From what I’ve watched, Karl has problems in any fight that goes past the first round,” said Askren. “That [first round] definitely seems to be his strongest one, so I’m not sure if [rounds] four or five are going to be an issue. I really hope he has done a little more cardio, but after watching his long history of fighting, I’m not sure that’s going to be the case.”

Benson Henderson Will Get His Second Bellator Title Shot in November

After failing to win the Bellator welterweight title, former UFC champion Benson Henderson will get his second crack at a Bellator belt in November. read news >>

Bellator Continues Global Expansion with Championship Fight in Israel

Bellator continues its global expansion under the leadership of company president Scott Coker with a November event in Israel. read news >>

UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem Sells Out Hometown Champ's First Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

The people of Cleveland showed up in droves to see their native son, Stipe Miocic, defend his UFC heavyweight title. read news >>

Veta Arteaga Knows What She Signed Up for at Bellator 161 | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated flyweight Veta Arteaga knows what she signed up for at Bellator 161, and she's ready. read news >>

Derek Campos Expecting Explosive Fight with Djamil Chan at Bellator 161 | MMAWeekly.com

Derek Campos steps into a Bellator 161 lightweight bout against Djamil Chan on Friday, in what could very well end up being a title elimination bout. read news >>

Did Bellator Find Its Own Paige VanZant in Russian Flyweight Anastasia Yankova?

Anastasia Yankova is very pretty. It feels disingenuous to start anywhere else. It's always been a part of her story, even back to her amateur days at a tournament where no one would cheer for her. S read news >>

Tony Johnson Believes a Win Over Cheick Kongo Paves Way to Bellator Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Johnson has worked his way into a heavyweight main event fight against Cheick Kongo at Bellator 161 on Friday. Is it his route to the title? read news >>

Mark Dickman Says He's a 'Step Above' Bellator 161 Opponent Daniel Pineda | MMAWeekly.com

Mark Dickman will make his return at Bellator 161 on Friday in Texas to take on local veteran Daniel Pineda in a preliminary card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson Weigh-in Video and Results | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson weigh-in is slated for Thursday, Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT. Watch it streaming live on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>