Zach Makovsky 460x270Following a very successful two year stretch where he won eight fights in a row and captured the Bellator 135-pound championship, Zach “Fun Size” Makovsky stumbled in 2012, losing two straight fights, his title and his promotional home.

“It was not the best results for a year that I’ve had,” said Makovsky. “I think I made some mistakes maybe in my approach against (Eduardo) Dantas. I think I could have been more aggressive. I think he is the best guy I’ve fought, and I don’t want to take anything away from him.

“In my fight against (Anthony) Leone, I thought I was the better fighter going in, and I just didn’t perform my best in that fight. I don’t think I did what I needed to do and made some bad decisions in that fight.”

Looking back, Makovsky told that he realizes what he’s done wrong and how to avoid such problems in the future.

“I don’t think there is one thing drastically wrong in either fight,” he said. “I think I just made some bad decisions and need to be smarter in my fights and make sure I make good decisions.

“I didn’t have too good of results, but I honestly feel I’m improving as a fighter.”

Makovsky will have an opportunity to rebound in a new promotion when he makes his Cage Fury Fighting Championships debut Saturday night at the Borgata Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., in a 125-pound title eliminator bout against Claudio Ledesma.

“He’s got a pretty good amount of experience and has a couple fights in Bellator, and I think he’s pretty well-rounded as a fighter,” said Makovsky of Ledesma. “I think jiu-jitsu is his biggest strength, but he’s definitely very capable of fighting everywhere. He’s got a more boxing-style attack standing, and has shown he can definitely wrestle too.

“It’s going to be a fight that’s mixed with ground work and stand-up, so I’m preparing for everywhere. As well-rounded as I think he is, I think I’m better in every aspect and will be able to win the fight wherever it goes.”

Makovsky explained his move to flyweight as not only a physical necessity born from recent fights, but to also help lead his career in a new direction.

“I didn’t want to drop down to 125, but the last three guys I fought walk around over 165, while I walk around at 145, so there’s a significant difference in size,” he said.

“As the sport continues to grow, people are going to get more scientific at weight cutting and if you want to compete with the best guys, you’ve got to evolve with the sport or get left behind. So I think this new weight class will have more opportunity for me.”

As for where those opportunities lay, Makovsky’s eyes are affixed on one promotion in particular.

“The UFC doesn’t have a ton of 125-pound guys on their roster, so they’re looking to expand the division,” he said. “Hopefully I can drop down and get a couple solid wins and make a statement that I deserve to be among the best at flyweight in the world, which I truly do believe I am.”

Bellator's Linton Vassell hopes move to Blackzilians leads to rematch with Emanuel Newton

When you're fighting in a four-man tournament boasting UFC vet Phil Davis, former Bellator champion Emanuel Newton and former Strikeforce champion Muhammed Lawal, it's tough to stick out. Linton Vass read news >>

Emanuel Newton on lack of training in past: 'I thought the universe had my back'

SAN JOSE -- Former Bellator light heavyweight champion Emanuel Newton talks about facing Phil Davis at Bellator 142: Dynamite's one-night, four-man tournament, how he prepared for two fights in one n read news >>

Live Chat: Nick Diaz discussion, Bellator Dynamite preview and more

This is the Promotional Malpractice Live Chat. I've been off for several weeks due to vacation, but I'm back and ready to go. Luckily for this chat, there's no shortage of topics to discuss. Unfortun read news >>

Live stream: Promotional Malpractice Live Chat on Diaz suspension, Bellator Dynamite at 1pm ET

• 0 views's Luke Thomas will hold his weekly Promotional Malpractice Live Chat today, where the topics include Nick Diaz's controversial five-year suspension for marijuana metabolites and a pre read news >>

NOS® Energy Drink MMA Rankings, Sept. 22: Big weekend for Bellator, WSOF

With the UFC’s week off, Bellator and WSOF fighters got the spotlight this past weekend, and it resulted in some moves in the NOS® Energy Drink MMA Rankings.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, read news >>

Live Chat: Vitor Belfort drug test, Bellator Dynamite results, UFC Fight Night 75 preview

This is the Promotional Malpractice Live Chat. There's quite a bit to get to. For starters, I'm back from San Jose after the first Bellator 142: Dynamite show and reviews of the event have been gener read news >>

Live stream: Promotional Malpractice Live Chat on Belfort drug test, Bellator Dynamite results

• 4 views's Luke Thomas will hold his weekly Promotional Malpractice Live Chat today, where the topics include Vitor Belfort's drug test, Bellator Dynamite results, Fedor's return and much more read news >>

Jake Butler Looking to ONE: Odyssey of Champions to Further His Title Hopes

He won't talk titles before he gets past Christiano Kaminishi, but a victory makes Jake Butler an attractive choice for a ONE Championship title shot. read news >>

Chidi Njokuani set for promotional debut vs. Ricky Rainey at Bellator 146

• a day ago

Bellator’s return to Oklahoma this fall has a welterweight bout ticketed for the main card. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Myles Jury drops to featherweight, meets Charles Oliveira at UFC on FOX 17 in Orlando

• 17 hours ago

The UFC’s final fight card of the calendar year got a little bit deeper on Wednesday, and one of its competitors will be moving to a new weight class. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>