Zach Makovsky 460x270Following a very successful two year stretch where he won eight fights in a row and captured the Bellator 135-pound championship, Zach “Fun Size” Makovsky stumbled in 2012, losing two straight fights, his title and his promotional home.

“It was not the best results for a year that I’ve had,” said Makovsky. “I think I made some mistakes maybe in my approach against (Eduardo) Dantas. I think I could have been more aggressive. I think he is the best guy I’ve fought, and I don’t want to take anything away from him.

“In my fight against (Anthony) Leone, I thought I was the better fighter going in, and I just didn’t perform my best in that fight. I don’t think I did what I needed to do and made some bad decisions in that fight.”

Looking back, Makovsky told that he realizes what he’s done wrong and how to avoid such problems in the future.

“I don’t think there is one thing drastically wrong in either fight,” he said. “I think I just made some bad decisions and need to be smarter in my fights and make sure I make good decisions.

“I didn’t have too good of results, but I honestly feel I’m improving as a fighter.”

Makovsky will have an opportunity to rebound in a new promotion when he makes his Cage Fury Fighting Championships debut Saturday night at the Borgata Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., in a 125-pound title eliminator bout against Claudio Ledesma.

“He’s got a pretty good amount of experience and has a couple fights in Bellator, and I think he’s pretty well-rounded as a fighter,” said Makovsky of Ledesma. “I think jiu-jitsu is his biggest strength, but he’s definitely very capable of fighting everywhere. He’s got a more boxing-style attack standing, and has shown he can definitely wrestle too.

“It’s going to be a fight that’s mixed with ground work and stand-up, so I’m preparing for everywhere. As well-rounded as I think he is, I think I’m better in every aspect and will be able to win the fight wherever it goes.”

Makovsky explained his move to flyweight as not only a physical necessity born from recent fights, but to also help lead his career in a new direction.

“I didn’t want to drop down to 125, but the last three guys I fought walk around over 165, while I walk around at 145, so there’s a significant difference in size,” he said.

“As the sport continues to grow, people are going to get more scientific at weight cutting and if you want to compete with the best guys, you’ve got to evolve with the sport or get left behind. So I think this new weight class will have more opportunity for me.”

As for where those opportunities lay, Makovsky’s eyes are affixed on one promotion in particular.

“The UFC doesn’t have a ton of 125-pound guys on their roster, so they’re looking to expand the division,” he said. “Hopefully I can drop down and get a couple solid wins and make a statement that I deserve to be among the best at flyweight in the world, which I truly do believe I am.”

Bellator Champ Will Brooks on Patricky Freire: 'Dude Is Garbage'

Will Brooks isn't looking past Marcin Held. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a few words for Patricky Freire. Brooks, who defends his Bellator lightweight title against Held this Friday at Bella read news >>

Pongsiri Mitsatit Hopes Full Metal Dojo Springboards Him to International Success

Undefeated strawweight Pongsiri Mitsatit is hoping victory at Full Metal Dojo can propel him into the international spotlight. read news >>

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Miocic Hopes UFC 195 Bout Gets Him Closer to Gold

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times for Stipe Miocic. The heavyweight contender from Independence, Ohio is not exactly what you would call a Dickensian character, but he did run throu read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Sergio Moraes in for injured Lyman Good vs. Omari Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 80

The UFC’s first of three straight days of events in Las Vegas in December took another injury hit with the loss of Lyman Good from UFC Fight Night 80. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>