Legacy FC LogoWhile he may have seemed calm and collected entering his Legacy FC debut earlier this month, underneath it all, bantamweight prospect Patrick “Juggernaut” Ybarra was anything but.

“I don’t know if you saw it, but before the fight I was just walking and pacing and just scared about everything,” said Ybarra. “I was really nervous about TV, commentating by Pat Miletich and Michael Schiavello, and all that.”

Once the cage door closed and the bell rang, however, Ybarra’s nervousness went away.

“Once the bell rang and I felt I could strike with him everything was okay,” he said. “Once I settled down I was able to be relaxed and really enjoyed it.”

What resulted was the evening’s highlight moment as Ybarra submitted Billy Buch with a flying arm bar just under 90 seconds into the first round.

“The only reason why I really hit it was because I was thinking about it the night before,” said Ybarra. “I was thinking about doing it because I wanted to make an impression on TV and (Legacy) being my first big promotion.

“I set it up a basic way: I didn’t just swing right into it, I had his arm and his head and just hit it. I’m glad it went my way because if it didn’t, I would have been in a bad position.”

The win raised Ybarra’s record to 4-0 with all his victories being first-round armbar submissions, which in itself is interesting considering he comes from a system predominantly fostered by former UFC heavyweight champion and kickboxing legend Maurice Smith’s striking system.

“I really like to strike and I think I’m more of a striker than a grappler, but I’ll take a win however I can get it,” Ybarra told MMAWeekly.com. “My opponents haven’t been that good on the ground, so I’ve just taken it where I can get it.

“The way the fights have ended have just happened. I didn’t force them; the opportunities just opened up and I jumped on them.”

Ybarra’s highlight reel finish caught the attention of AXS TV’s Inside MMA. And since his segment on the show has aired, Ybarra has noticed a big change in his exposure level.

“I’ve heard a lot from the fans: whether it’s on my Facebook, Twitter or wherever I go, I’ve gotten a lot of good feedback,” he said. “People who watched me on Inside MMA come up to me saying ‘You’re that guy, you’re that guy.’ It’s pretty cool.

“I really enjoy talking with them and hearing what they have to say. It’s been a really good experience and hopefully it can continue.”

With fights lined up in March for Xtreme Combat Promotions and his Legacy return in May, Ybarra’s exposure is driving him to want to achieve more as he continues the year.

“It’s definitely a motivator,” he said. “I’m already a pretty self-motivated person, but this just makes me want to do it even more so to keep people talking and keep people wanting to see me.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Manny Vazquez Hopes to Defend Legacy Belt and Get a Shot at UFC Chicago

Legacy FC champ Manny Vazquez hopes to defend belt and make a quick return to the cage... at UFC Chicago. read news >>

Legacy FC 56 Results and Highlights: Steven Peterson Chokes Out Manny Vazquez for Gold

Steven Peterson choked out bantamweight champ Manny Vazquez to claim the belt of their Legacy FC 56 headlining fight on Friday. read news >>

Quentin Henry Not Ruffled by Legacy FC 57 Shift in Opponent

Middleweight prospect Quentin Henry isn't ruffled by late-replacement opponent for Friday's Legacy FC 57. read news >>

Derrick Krantz Looking to Rebound Against Dave Burrow at Legacy FC 57

Derrick Krantz (17-9) will look to rebound at Legacy FC 57 in Shreveport, Louisiana, against Dave Burrow (14-7) in a welterweight bout on July 1. read news >>

Andy Nguyen To Defend Her KOTC Title After Legacy FC 57 Fight Against Bi Nguyen

Nguyen returns to Legacy FC this Friday in Shreveport, Louisiana, to take on a fighter she’s very familiar with in the debuting Bi Nguyen in a main card bout. read news >>

Tony Kelley Heads Into Legacy FC 57 Title Fight Knowing He’s Facing a ‘Big Test’

Tony Kelley will have his biggest test as a pro to date when he takes on Kevin Aguilar for the vacant Legacy FC 145-pound title in the main event on Friday. read news >>

For Legacy’s Kevin Aguilar, It’s All About the Victory; The Title is Just a Bonus

For Legacy FC's Kevin Aguilar, it's all about the fight and the victory. The fact that he would win a title on Friday night is just an added bonus. read news >>

Legacy FC 57 Results and Highlights: Kevin Aguilar Captures Featherweight Title

Four first-round finishes and a five-round championship war highlight another thrilling night of fights at Legacy FC 57. Check out the results and highlights. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Weighs In on BJ Penn’s IV Ban Suspension

Chael Sonnen weighs in on UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn's recent suspension for violating the IV ban portion of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marin Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Lightweight Sage "Super" Northcutt (8-1) rebounded from his recent loss to Bryan Barberena by eking out a decision win over Enrique "Wasabi" Marin (8-4) at UFC 200 on Saturday. The three-round, 15-mi read news >>