Legacy FC LogoWhile he may have seemed calm and collected entering his Legacy FC debut earlier this month, underneath it all, bantamweight prospect Patrick “Juggernaut” Ybarra was anything but.

“I don’t know if you saw it, but before the fight I was just walking and pacing and just scared about everything,” said Ybarra. “I was really nervous about TV, commentating by Pat Miletich and Michael Schiavello, and all that.”

Once the cage door closed and the bell rang, however, Ybarra’s nervousness went away.

“Once the bell rang and I felt I could strike with him everything was okay,” he said. “Once I settled down I was able to be relaxed and really enjoyed it.”

What resulted was the evening’s highlight moment as Ybarra submitted Billy Buch with a flying arm bar just under 90 seconds into the first round.

“The only reason why I really hit it was because I was thinking about it the night before,” said Ybarra. “I was thinking about doing it because I wanted to make an impression on TV and (Legacy) being my first big promotion.

“I set it up a basic way: I didn’t just swing right into it, I had his arm and his head and just hit it. I’m glad it went my way because if it didn’t, I would have been in a bad position.”

The win raised Ybarra’s record to 4-0 with all his victories being first-round armbar submissions, which in itself is interesting considering he comes from a system predominantly fostered by former UFC heavyweight champion and kickboxing legend Maurice Smith’s striking system.

“I really like to strike and I think I’m more of a striker than a grappler, but I’ll take a win however I can get it,” Ybarra told MMAWeekly.com. “My opponents haven’t been that good on the ground, so I’ve just taken it where I can get it.

“The way the fights have ended have just happened. I didn’t force them; the opportunities just opened up and I jumped on them.”

Ybarra’s highlight reel finish caught the attention of AXS TV’s Inside MMA. And since his segment on the show has aired, Ybarra has noticed a big change in his exposure level.

“I’ve heard a lot from the fans: whether it’s on my Facebook, Twitter or wherever I go, I’ve gotten a lot of good feedback,” he said. “People who watched me on Inside MMA come up to me saying ‘You’re that guy, you’re that guy.’ It’s pretty cool.

“I really enjoy talking with them and hearing what they have to say. It’s been a really good experience and hopefully it can continue.”

With fights lined up in March for Xtreme Combat Promotions and his Legacy return in May, Ybarra’s exposure is driving him to want to achieve more as he continues the year.

“It’s definitely a motivator,” he said. “I’m already a pretty self-motivated person, but this just makes me want to do it even more so to keep people talking and keep people wanting to see me.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Video: Fighter dislodges opponent's tooth, punches it into crowd

During the recent APEX Fights 8 event, Joshua Spears lost a tooth – and based on its subsequent trajectory, it’s probably not one he got back.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Uriah Hall explains his controversial 'terrorist' comment from social media

Uriah Hall is sorry but not sorry when it comes to a recent Instagram post in which he labeled MMA fans as “terrorists” due to the harsh criticism directed at Ronda Rousey following her knockout loss read news >>

Efrain Escudero has newfound confidence – and a hashtag to go with it

MONTERREY, Mexico – Efrain Escudero is riding a two-fight winning streak in the UFC for the first time since 2009. “The Ultimate Fighter 8” winner credits his octagon resurgence to an overhaul in the read news >>

UFC 193: Jared Rosholt Smothers Stefan Struve in Lackluster Opening Bout

UFC heavyweights Stefan Struve and Jared Rosholt entered UFC 193 on Saturday night with their eyes on moving up the rankings. Struve came in as the No. 14-ranked contender, while Rosholt had won back read news >>

Legacy FC 48 video highlights: MMA in a ring, and a little submission controversy

With a mix of MMA and kickboxing bouts, Friday’s Legacy FC 48 event took place in a ring rather than a cage. But the night’s controversy took place on the mat with a submission.Filed under: AXS TV Fi read news >>

Legacy FC 48 results: Leonardo Leite dominates Ryan Spann to defend title

Ryan Spann didn’t believe Leonardo Leite did anything well ahead of challenging for the middleweight title at Legacy FC 48. It was an assessment that he’ll be revisiting after the champion took a cle read news >>

Ahead of Legacy FC 48 title fight, champ Leonardo Leite sees bigger things on horizon

He’s just six fights into his MMA career, but Leonardo Leite already has gold around his waist – two belts, actually – and even bigger ambitions down the road. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov opts against retirement but won't get desired Al Iaquinta matchup

Although another recent injury had Khabib Nurmagomedov considering retirement, he’s opted to fight on. But he won’t get his desired matchup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC vet Thiago Tavares didn't mind that deep gash and recent TKO loss

Veteran UFC featherweight Thiago Tavares said he doesn’t necessarily get hung up on whether he wins or loses his fights.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Count Max Holloway Among Nick Diaz Defenders: ‘It’s a Bunch of BS’

Featherweight contender Max Holloway became the most recent fighter to speak out about Nick Diaz’ five-year suspension for testing positive for marijuana. read news >>