Anthony Pettis Alex Karalexis WEC 48

Anthony Pettis at WEC 48

It was the greatest night of his life.

According to Anthony Pettis, that’s exactly what Dec. 16, 2010, currently means to the final WEC lightweight champion, but he’s hoping to trump that with his UFC debut in 2011.

The Milwaukee native is still coming down from the high of the night that he won the title by defeating Ben Henderson and soon went on a whirlwind tour with everyone in the world talking about the “Showtime kick.”

The next step in Pettis’ ultimate career goal will begin this Saturday night in Las Vegas when Frankie Edgar defends his UFC lightweight title against Gray Maynard in the main event of UFC 125.

“I will be there cageside,” Pettis revealed on MMAWeekly Radio about his plans for Saturday night’s event.

Pettis is of course the next fighter in line for a shot at the winner between Edgar and Maynard.

“I think Frankie Edgar’s going to walk out with that belt,” Pettis stated. “Everybody’s been asking me this, this is the first time I’ve really said I think Frankie Edgar’s going to walk out with it. It’s just one of those things, he beat B.J. Penn twice, his confidence is crazy high, he’s looking better every fight, and he has a loss he wants to avenge.”

If Edgar is successful, he’ll already know as he exits the cage who the next challenger is waiting in the wings. Both Edgar and Maynard have had little to say about Pettis as a next contender, simply because their focus has been on each other and UFC 125, but there have been a few barbs thrown towards the WEC transfer with questions about if he’s truly ready and deserving of that UFC title shot.

Pettis welcomes the challenge.

“I love it, I love it,” Pettis said about Edgar or Maynard underrating him. “Every fight I go into I’m the underdog, I love it. Nobody still knows what I can do, there’s so much that I can do that the world hasn’t seen. Just because these guys have been fighting in the UFC and the big stage, that doesn’t mean they’re better than us, or they have better experience than us.”

The one thing that Pettis does have a hard time believing is the meteoric rise he’s made over the last 18 months. He debuted in the WEC in June 2009, and at just around two years later he has the chance to become the best lightweight fighter in the world.

“It’s crazy, even to be where I’m at in a year and a half, it’s still, it’s crazy,” said Pettis. “I’m going to take advantage of this, there’s no way I’m going to let this slip by me. I’m going to train 110-percent like I always do, and I’m going to take advantage of this opportunity.”

Pettis is looking forward to watching and studying the fighters on Saturday night, as he starts his own mental preparation for the task ahead of facing the winner. What Pettis won’t be doing is stepping into the Octagon to challenge the winner.

“Nah, I always keep it professional. This is my job; this is my profession. I want to let them enjoy their victory, whoever walks out of there the UFC lightweight champion,” Pettis said.

“I want to be where they’re at and I will have my chance.”

UFC on FOX 21 Fight Highlights: Anthony Pettis Chokes Out Charles Oliveira

Check out the UFC on FOX 21 fight highlights from the co-main event bout between Anthony Pettis and Charles Oliveira. read news >>

UFC on FOX 21 Results: Anthony Pettis Wins Featherweight Debut; Aims for Conor McGregor’s Belt

Following an impressive finish in his featherweight debut at UFC on FOX 21, Anthony Pettis wasted no time taking aim at Conor McGregor's belt. read news >>

UFC on FOX 21 Results: Demian Maia Makes Quick Work of Carlos Condit with Submission Win

Maia stopped Carlos Condit in the featured bout at UFC on FOX 21 via first-round submission on Saturday night in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Oliveira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 21

Former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis met Charles Oliveira in his featherweight debut at UFC on Fox 21 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Following a three-fight losing run, Pettis ditched the ligh read news >>

Anthony Pettis Video Interview: ‘I’m Coming for the Best in the World’

After defeating the No. 6 ranked 145-pounder in the UFC, Anthony Pettis doesn't want easy fights. "I'm coming for the best in the world." read news >>

UFC on FOX 21 Takeaways: Demian Maia Makes Jiu-Jitsu Cool Again

UFC on FOX 21 could be the end of a great career, the arrival of another, and the re-emergence of a great former champion. read news >>

Five months, six fights - no problem for Macedo

Veronica Macedo has fought six times in the last five months since she turned pro. On Saturday Macedo makes her UFC debut against Ashlee Evans-Smith at Fight Night Hamburg. read news >>

Arlovski taking fight very serious, wants KO

Four months later, Andrei Arlovski is back. Back in the cage and back in the old world, where he is once again set to headline a European city’s UFC debut. This time: Hamburg, Germany on Saturday, Se read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

Cory Sandhagen Thinks RFA 43 Opponent Clay Wimer is Someone He Can KO | MMAWeekly.com

After a couple months off, Croy Sandhagen returns to the RFA on Friday in Broomfield, Colo., to take on Clay Wimer in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>