Anthony Pettis Alex Karalexis WEC 48

Anthony Pettis at WEC 48

It was the greatest night of his life.

According to Anthony Pettis, that’s exactly what Dec. 16, 2010, currently means to the final WEC lightweight champion, but he’s hoping to trump that with his UFC debut in 2011.

The Milwaukee native is still coming down from the high of the night that he won the title by defeating Ben Henderson and soon went on a whirlwind tour with everyone in the world talking about the “Showtime kick.”

The next step in Pettis’ ultimate career goal will begin this Saturday night in Las Vegas when Frankie Edgar defends his UFC lightweight title against Gray Maynard in the main event of UFC 125.

“I will be there cageside,” Pettis revealed on MMAWeekly Radio about his plans for Saturday night’s event.

Pettis is of course the next fighter in line for a shot at the winner between Edgar and Maynard.

“I think Frankie Edgar’s going to walk out with that belt,” Pettis stated. “Everybody’s been asking me this, this is the first time I’ve really said I think Frankie Edgar’s going to walk out with it. It’s just one of those things, he beat B.J. Penn twice, his confidence is crazy high, he’s looking better every fight, and he has a loss he wants to avenge.”

If Edgar is successful, he’ll already know as he exits the cage who the next challenger is waiting in the wings. Both Edgar and Maynard have had little to say about Pettis as a next contender, simply because their focus has been on each other and UFC 125, but there have been a few barbs thrown towards the WEC transfer with questions about if he’s truly ready and deserving of that UFC title shot.

Pettis welcomes the challenge.

“I love it, I love it,” Pettis said about Edgar or Maynard underrating him. “Every fight I go into I’m the underdog, I love it. Nobody still knows what I can do, there’s so much that I can do that the world hasn’t seen. Just because these guys have been fighting in the UFC and the big stage, that doesn’t mean they’re better than us, or they have better experience than us.”

The one thing that Pettis does have a hard time believing is the meteoric rise he’s made over the last 18 months. He debuted in the WEC in June 2009, and at just around two years later he has the chance to become the best lightweight fighter in the world.

“It’s crazy, even to be where I’m at in a year and a half, it’s still, it’s crazy,” said Pettis. “I’m going to take advantage of this, there’s no way I’m going to let this slip by me. I’m going to train 110-percent like I always do, and I’m going to take advantage of this opportunity.”

Pettis is looking forward to watching and studying the fighters on Saturday night, as he starts his own mental preparation for the task ahead of facing the winner. What Pettis won’t be doing is stepping into the Octagon to challenge the winner.

“Nah, I always keep it professional. This is my job; this is my profession. I want to let them enjoy their victory, whoever walks out of there the UFC lightweight champion,” Pettis said.

“I want to be where they’re at and I will have my chance.”

Anthony Pettis injures elbow, tentatively scheduled to be sidelined for four-to-six months following surgery

An injured right elbow has forced Anthony Pettis to withdraw from his upcoming fight against Myles Jury on July 25. According to Pettis' manager Mike Roberts and head coach Duke Roufus, Pettis suffer read news >>

Before alleged hit-and-run, Jon Jones threatened legal action against the NSAC

Two months before an alleged hit-and-run turned his world upside down, Jon Jones threatened to sue the Nevada State Athletic Commission for violating his privacy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Report: Khabib out for five months with meniscus tear, says father

Khabib Nurmagomedov’s father, Abdulmanap, revealed that his son will be out on the sidelines for five months with a meniscus tear. On Wednesday evening, UFC 187 was dealt another hefty blow when it w read news >>

Tweet of the day: Anthony Pettis tells injured Khabib Nurmagomedov 'karma is a b*tch'

Former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis has been the recipient of plenty of trash talk from Khabib Nurmagomedov. With Khabib out of his fight with Donald Cerrone due to injury, Pettis went to read news >>

Video: FOX Sports Live invites Paige VanZant to join the show, then makes her dance the 'Cabbage Patch'

Paige VanZant used to be a dancer. Then again, Tommy DeVito used to shine shoes. Despite the fact that VanZant (5-1) is enjoying a successful mixed martial arts (MMA) career, and is now 2-0 under the read news >>

Michelle Waterson makes UFC debut against Angela Magana in July

"The Karate Hottie" is booked for her first UFC fight. Michelle Waterson will debut against Angela Magana at The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale on July 12 in a Florida city yet to be named, the UFC annou read news >>

Twitter reacts to Khabib Nurmagomedov's injury, and Anthony Pettis has fighting words

Many in the MMA community were saddened by the news of Khabib Nurmagomedov’s withdrawal from UFC 187. Others, however, used the opportunity to rub salt in Nurmagomedov’s wounds.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Blackzilians' key to success? 'We beat each other up in a healthy way'

Next month’s UFC 187 event could prove to be a huge moment in the history of the Blackzilians team, as the squad could potentially pick up a pair of UFC titles on the same night. So what is the key t read news >>

Former UFC champ Jon Jones makes first comment since arrest on felony charges

Jon Jones has broken his silence. On Tuesday night, the former UFC light heavyweight champion made his first public comments since allegedly being involved in a hit-and-run car accident Sunday mornin read news >>