MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks

LAS VEGAS – Dana White thinks Johny Hendricks beat Georges St-Pierre. He thinks GSP’s team, immediately after the fight, thought Hendricks beat the champ.

So you know Hendricks believes he won the fight.

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) won an instantly controversial split decision against Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC 167 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday.

After the fight, despite White, the UFC’s president, saying St-Pierre was headed to the hospital, the champ showed up to the post-event news conference in the middle of the event with his face showing perhaps more wear from the 25-minute war with Hendricks than it ever had before.

“My hands are busted up from hitting him in the face,” Hendricks said at the post-event news conference. “Look at his face and look at mine.”

Perhaps more revealing, though, was Hendricks’ big reveal that in the fight, he was only hitting the champ with 70 percent power.

“I really didn’t hit him that hard,” Hendricks said. “I wasn’t really trying to knock him out. I was putting about 70 percent on him, and it was enough.”

White, though, was quick to dispute that, for obvious reasons.

“It wasn’t enough,” White told him. “You left it in the hands of the judges. You better give 100 percent next time.”

And Hendricks couldn’t dispute that, with his boss leaving him stammering for a moment.

White wants to order up a rematch between the two, reiterating to MMAjunkie his belief that Hendricks won the fight. Just when that might be remains to be seen, especially in the fight’s aftermath, when St-Pierre said he is planning to take a leave of absence of sorts to work on some personal issues and “prove a point.”

But Hendricks insisted his goal of winning a title merely hit a bump in the road.

“Dude, I don’t care about Georges,” he said. “I beat him anyway. I just want the belt. That’s the only thing that’s motivating me. I need to get it. That’s my drive. I thought I got it tonight, but I guess I didn’t. There’s a lot of things I can pull from this fight, and I’m only going to get better. It was my first five-round fight, and I took it to the champ.”

If a potential rematch does happen, “Bigg Rigg” may take White’s advice of not going anything but high gear against St-Pierre, who set a UFC record with his 19th win.

“If I get to see him in the ring again, it won’t go the distance,” Hendricks said. “I will finish him. I know I can go five rounds now.”

For complete coverage of UFC 167, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

McGregor vs. Diaz 3: Dana White Comments on Potential Rematch in TMZ Interview

UFC President Dana White has said there will be no trilogy of fights between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz after noting he's "moving on." Both fighters expressed an interest in a third match after McG read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Dana White and Amy Schumer

UFC President Dana White joins to discuss UFC 202, a possible Rumble Johnson-Jon Jones fight, Ronda Rousey's status for UFC in NYC, and much, much more. Then, comic, actress, and author Amy Schumer s read news >>

Dana White Wants to Make Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson for a Shot at Daniel Cormier

• a day ago

Anthony Johnson and Daniel Cormier are both ready to rematch each other, but UFC president Dana White may have other plans, which include Jon Jones. read news >>

Ronda Rousey: Latest News, Rumors, Speculation Surrounding UFC Star's Next Fight

• a day ago

UFC President Dana White confirmed no final decision has been made about Ronda Rousey's long-awaited return to the Octagon. Her last fight was a loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in November. On Tuesday, read news >>

Welterweight Li Jingliang Notified of Potential Anti-Doping Violation

• a day ago

Chinese welterweight Li Jingliang was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of a potential policy violation stemming from his July 8 fight against Anton Zafir. read news >>

Dana White Confirms Ronda Rousey Not Fighting at UFC 205 in New York

• a day ago

UFC president Dana White revealed on Tuesday that Ronda Rousey will not be part of the inaugural UFC event in New York on November 12. read news >>

George Sullivan Facing UFC Suspension After Possible Anti-Doping Violation

• 15 hours ago

MMA fighter George Sullivan is facing a suspension after being flagged for a potential anti-doping violation, the UFC announced Wednesday via Marc Raimondi of MMAFighting.com. The 35-year-old welterw read news >>

George Sullivan Receives Provisional Suspension for Potential UFC Anti-Doping Violation

• 10 hours ago

UFC welterweight George Sullivan received a provisional suspension for a potential UFC Anti-Doping Policy violation on Thursday. read news >>

Amir Khan Wants Conor McGregor UFC Fight to Prove He's a 'Real Man'

Amir Khan thinks a bout with UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor would show he is a “real man” as he continues to talk up a potential switch to MMA. The boxer lost his last professional bout in read news >>

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>