MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks

LAS VEGAS – Dana White thinks Johny Hendricks beat Georges St-Pierre. He thinks GSP’s team, immediately after the fight, thought Hendricks beat the champ.

So you know Hendricks believes he won the fight.

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) won an instantly controversial split decision against Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC 167 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday.

After the fight, despite White, the UFC’s president, saying St-Pierre was headed to the hospital, the champ showed up to the post-event news conference in the middle of the event with his face showing perhaps more wear from the 25-minute war with Hendricks than it ever had before.

“My hands are busted up from hitting him in the face,” Hendricks said at the post-event news conference. “Look at his face and look at mine.”

Perhaps more revealing, though, was Hendricks’ big reveal that in the fight, he was only hitting the champ with 70 percent power.

“I really didn’t hit him that hard,” Hendricks said. “I wasn’t really trying to knock him out. I was putting about 70 percent on him, and it was enough.”

White, though, was quick to dispute that, for obvious reasons.

“It wasn’t enough,” White told him. “You left it in the hands of the judges. You better give 100 percent next time.”

And Hendricks couldn’t dispute that, with his boss leaving him stammering for a moment.

White wants to order up a rematch between the two, reiterating to MMAjunkie his belief that Hendricks won the fight. Just when that might be remains to be seen, especially in the fight’s aftermath, when St-Pierre said he is planning to take a leave of absence of sorts to work on some personal issues and “prove a point.”

But Hendricks insisted his goal of winning a title merely hit a bump in the road.

“Dude, I don’t care about Georges,” he said. “I beat him anyway. I just want the belt. That’s the only thing that’s motivating me. I need to get it. That’s my drive. I thought I got it tonight, but I guess I didn’t. There’s a lot of things I can pull from this fight, and I’m only going to get better. It was my first five-round fight, and I took it to the champ.”

If a potential rematch does happen, “Bigg Rigg” may take White’s advice of not going anything but high gear against St-Pierre, who set a UFC record with his 19th win.

“If I get to see him in the ring again, it won’t go the distance,” Hendricks said. “I will finish him. I know I can go five rounds now.”

For complete coverage of UFC 167, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Kelvin Gastelum thinks opponent Donald Cerrone would have beat Robbie Lawler at UFC 205

NEW YORK – UFC welterweight standout Kelvin Gastelum admits Donald Cerrone has looked pretty impressive since moving up from the lightweight class.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gilbert Melendez thinks Nate Diaz will fight UFC 205's McGregor vs. Alvarez winner

Gilbert Melendez echoes his colleagues who aren’t that upset Conor McGregor is getting a shot at Eddie Alvarez’s lightweight title.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

After chair near-incident, Dana White admits Conor McGregor gets special treatment – for good reason

The pre-fight news conference for UFC 205 delivered another memorable Conor McGregor moment for his career highlight reel: That time he picked up a metal folding chair and was ready to drop it on opp read news >>

Dana White Stumped for Donald Trump; Will the Next President Show at UFC 205? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White stumped for now-President-Elect Donald Trump, but will the next U.S. president return the favor? read news >>

UFC boss Dana White: 'I would never take the risk of headlining a show with Jon Jones again'

UFC President Dana White appears to have lost faith in former UFC champion Jon Jones following his one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Association (USADA) for a failed drug test prior to UF read news >>

Dana White says Kelvin Gastelum done at 170 after missing weight for UFC 205

Kelvin Gastelum’s time as a welterweight is apparently over for good after he missed weight today for the third time in his UFC career.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: Kelvin Gastelum Will Never Again Fight at 170 | MMAWeekly.com

After blowing his UFC 205 weight cut, Kelvin Gastelum is never again going to get the opportunity to try and fight at welterweight in the Octagon. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Would Have Lost 'Millions of Dollars' for Throwing Chair | MMAWeekly.com

Pre-fight mayhem has become the norm for fight cards featuring UFC champion Conor McGregor, and things nearly got out of control on Thursday. read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

Ronda Rousey Shrugs Off Dana White After Amanda Nunes Face-off | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey made a surprise appearance at the UFC 205 weigh-in, but things didn't go all that smoothly when Dana White tried to get her to talk. read news >>