MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks

LAS VEGAS – Dana White thinks Johny Hendricks beat Georges St-Pierre. He thinks GSP’s team, immediately after the fight, thought Hendricks beat the champ.

So you know Hendricks believes he won the fight.

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) won an instantly controversial split decision against Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC 167 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday.

After the fight, despite White, the UFC’s president, saying St-Pierre was headed to the hospital, the champ showed up to the post-event news conference in the middle of the event with his face showing perhaps more wear from the 25-minute war with Hendricks than it ever had before.

“My hands are busted up from hitting him in the face,” Hendricks said at the post-event news conference. “Look at his face and look at mine.”

Perhaps more revealing, though, was Hendricks’ big reveal that in the fight, he was only hitting the champ with 70 percent power.

“I really didn’t hit him that hard,” Hendricks said. “I wasn’t really trying to knock him out. I was putting about 70 percent on him, and it was enough.”

White, though, was quick to dispute that, for obvious reasons.

“It wasn’t enough,” White told him. “You left it in the hands of the judges. You better give 100 percent next time.”

And Hendricks couldn’t dispute that, with his boss leaving him stammering for a moment.

White wants to order up a rematch between the two, reiterating to MMAjunkie his belief that Hendricks won the fight. Just when that might be remains to be seen, especially in the fight’s aftermath, when St-Pierre said he is planning to take a leave of absence of sorts to work on some personal issues and “prove a point.”

But Hendricks insisted his goal of winning a title merely hit a bump in the road.

“Dude, I don’t care about Georges,” he said. “I beat him anyway. I just want the belt. That’s the only thing that’s motivating me. I need to get it. That’s my drive. I thought I got it tonight, but I guess I didn’t. There’s a lot of things I can pull from this fight, and I’m only going to get better. It was my first five-round fight, and I took it to the champ.”

If a potential rematch does happen, “Bigg Rigg” may take White’s advice of not going anything but high gear against St-Pierre, who set a UFC record with his 19th win.

“If I get to see him in the ring again, it won’t go the distance,” Hendricks said. “I will finish him. I know I can go five rounds now.”

For complete coverage of UFC 167, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

If Conor McGregor retires, UFC 200’s Aldo vs. Edgar will be for featherweight belt

UFC President Dana White thinks UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor is going to fight again. But if he doesn’t, the event he left behind is going to get a little bit more interesting.Filed unde read news >>

UFC 197 Video: Cody East’s Journey to His UFC Debut

Get to know the newest potential star from the series Dana White: Lookin' for a Fight, Cody East. He's a product from the famed JacksonWink camp and will debut at UFC 197. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Potential Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier Fight at UFC 200

Jon Jones will have a chance to reclaim the UFC light heavyweight title in a showdown against current titleholder Daniel Cormier at UFC 200, according to President Dana White. The UFC figurehead was read news >>

Dana White Slammed by Don Frye over Conor McGregor's UFC 200 Spot

UFC veteran Don Frye thinks Dana White is in the wrong when it comes to the Conor McGregor dispute, which has seen the Irishman removed from the main event at UFC 200. McGregor refused to fulfil his read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

UFC star Jon Jones thinks that if he were to lose to Ovince Saint Preux at UFC 197, it would be the "greatest day" of Daniel Cormier's life. Saint Preux is set to take on Jones for the interim light read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Thinks Justin Bieber Could Do MMA

Urijah Faber is heading into a fight of his own, but he believes entertainer Justin Bieber could also be a fighter. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Champ Luke Rockhold Thinks Interim Titles are Bulls**t

UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is not a fan of interim championships. In fact, he doesn't think the Jon Jones fight at UFC 197 should be for an interim title. read news >>

Amanda Nunes challenges Miesha Tate for women's bantamweight title at UFC 200

Dana White said we might get a women’s title fight at UFC 200, and now we have one. Miesha Tate will defend her bantamweight title for the first time when she meets Amanda Nunes. Filed under: Feature read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

Miesha Tate Video: Dishing on Amanda Nunes Fight Ahead of Ronda Rousey or Holly Holm

Miesha Tate talks about facing Amanda Nunes, potential rematches with Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey, and what's on the horizon with Cris Cyborg. read news >>