It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

UFC Fight Night 86 co-headliner Gabriel Gonzaga wasn’t too worried about losing his job

All appearances to the contrary, longtime UFC heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga said he didn’t fight to avoid losing his job in his last outing. He had more immediate concerns.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Explains Injury and #AnybodyButJon Movement (Video)

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier explains how the injury occurred that forced him out of his rematch with former titleholder Jon Jones at UFC 197. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86: Maribek Taisumov vs. Damir Hadzovic video highlights

Mairbek Taisumov is proving to be a very scary man in the lightweight division. He scored his fourth consecutive knockout victory with a crushing uppercut on Damir Hadzovic at UFC Fight Night 86.File read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86: Jared Cannonier vs. Cyril Asker video highlights

Jared Cannonier showcased some scary power in the first heavyweight bout of a card filled with big men.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Video: UFC 196 Withdrawal, Conor McGregor, and What’s Next?

Rafael Dos Anjos gave an update on his injury recovery, hinted about his next opponent, and talked about Conor McGregor and the featherweight belt. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 86 event in Croatia, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some of tho read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

Bellator 153's Patricio Freire plans to keep breaking records on way back to title

For his first fight back after losing Bellator’s featherweight title, things could’ve been a little better for Patricio Freire. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Jon Jones Questions Daniel Cormier Injury (UFC 197 Video)

Jon Jones expressed his doubt about the legitimacy of Daniel Cormier's injury at the UFC 197 Media Day in Las Vegas. read news >>