It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

What really mattered at UFC Fight Night 74: Scary injury, odd decision, surprise retirement

A scary injury in the main event, an odd split decision in the co-main event, and a surprise retirement further down on the card? Check out what really mattered at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 74 event.F read news >>

Oliveira released from hospital following scary injury at UFC Saskatoon

UFC featherweight Charles Oliveira has been released from hospital following his scary injury in the main event of UFC Saskatoon. During the first round of the UFC Saskatoon main event, Charles Olive read news >>

Injury Forces New Invicta FC 14 Headlining Title Fight

Invicta Fighting Championships on Monday released the full fight card for Invicta FC 14, but the announcement included a major change at the top of the bill. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 73 event in Nashville, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to read news >>

Since MMA is 'scary as sh-t,' Uriah Hall trying to follow Ronda Rousey's lead

Most MMA fighters won’t admit the sport is “scary as sh-it,” according to Uriah Hall, but a special few – ones like Ronda Rousey – can do something the majority of others can’t.Filed under: Featured read news >>

Jose Aldo UFC 190 media scrum

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Jose Aldo discusses returning to training following a rib injury, fighting Conor McGregor at the Dallas Cowboys stadium, why he thinks T.J. Dillashaw shouldn’t call him out, his rel read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov pushes return from knee injury back to December

Khabib Nurmagomedov is pumping the brakes on his return from knee surgery. After undergoing surgery in May to repair his injured knee, the undefeated contender for the UFC lightweight title had targe read news >>

Injury scraps UFC 192's targeted Leslie Smith vs. Raquel Pennington bout

Although not announced, a planned women’s bantamweight bout between Leslie Smith and Raquel Pennington has been scrapped as a possible UFC 192 addition.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Losing UFC Fans' Interest, Claims Confident Miesha Tate

Ronda Rousey’s punishing displays in the Octagon may have made her instantly recognisable for casual sports fans across the globe, but according to Miesha Tate, a lot of UFC fanatics are becoming a l read news >>

UFC 190 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>