It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

With Pat Curran out, Emmanuel Sanchez steps in to face Justin Lawrence at Bellator 145

• 6 hours ago

A knee injury has forced former Bellator featherweight champ Pat Curran out of next month’s Bellator 145 event, and Emmanuel Sanchez has stepped in on short notice to face Justin Lawrence.Filed under read news >>

Despite rib and cartilage injury, 'King Mo' says he'd fight Fedor if asked

After a rib injury forced him to the sidelines, “King Mo” Lawal was forced out of this past Saturday’s light-heavyweight tournament at Bellator 142. But he’s already got some potential next opponents read news >>

Morning Report: Miesha Tate says she's done being 'pushed around' by UFC

Miesha Tate still seems peeved over losing her shot at Ronda Rousey. Tate was penciled in to face the UFC women's bantamweight champ following her unanimous decision victory over Jessica Eye at UFC o read news >>

After William Macario injury, Brendan O'Reilly gets new UFC 193 opponent

With an injury to William Macario, Brendan O’Reilly has a new opponent for November’s UFC 193 card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 142 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s Spike-televised Bellator 142 event in San Jose, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check th read news >>

Rib fracture forced Muhammed 'King Mo' Lawal out of Bellator 142: 'Dynamite 1' tournament final

A rib injury forced Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal out of the Light Heavyweight tournament final at Bellator 142: "Dynamite 1" last night (Sat., Sept. 19, 2015). Lawal, 34, won his semifinal bout, defeatin read news >>

King Mo out, Carmont in vs. Phil Davis in Bellator LHW tournament final

An injury to Muhammed Lawal means that Francis Carmont advances to the Bellator LHW tournament final on Dynamite. Bellator MMA's one-man light heavyweight tournament final has a major shake-up. Muham read news >>

Morning Report: 'Shocked' at losing decision at UFC 191, Frank Mir wants rematch with Andrei Arlovski

Frank Mir isn't happy. Following his controversial unanimous decision loss to Andrei Arlovski Sept. 5 at UFC 191, Mir can't understand why he didn't get his hand raised. "I think it was a close fight read news >>

Josh Thomson credits Victor Conte with ability to stay injury free

SAN JOSE -- Bellator lightweight Josh Thomson spoke to MMA Fighting on Wednesday at Bellator 142: Dynamite's open workouts about moving from UFC to Bellator, working with Scott Coker again, why he ha read news >>

Medication, Fights and Suicide: Nick Diaz opens up after potential career ending ban

Medication, street fights, and losing loved ones. Nick Diaz opened up for the first time about his childhood following a suspension that could potentially end his MMA career. Nick Diaz was dealt a sh read news >>