It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

From Around the Web

Duke Roufus says 'Mayweather of our sport' Anthony Pettis could fight four times a year 'easy'

If the injury bug can stay away from Anthony Pettis, fans may be seeing a lot more of him in the cage. At least, that's what his coach, Duke Roufus, is saying, in a recent interview on the MMA Hour. read news >>

Anthony Pettis: Injury-Free and Ready to Become the UFC's King of PPV

After just five fights in four years, Anthony Pettis knew something had to change. Injury after injury piled up, stealing important years from his prime. He did not enjoy being known as a frail champ read news >>

UFC Cancels Fairfax Fight Following Injury | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Fight Night 63: Mendes vs. Lamas event slated for April 4 in Fairfax, Va., will go on as planned, but it will continue minus one bout. read news >>

Report: Ben Saunders out of UFC Fight Night Rio co-main vs. Erick Silva due to injury

...Because apparently UFC Rio hasn't had enough card-crippling injuries. Bad news has hit the seemingly cursed UFC Fight Night event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, which is just two weeks away. Sherdog's read news >>

Injury knocks Clint Hester from fight with Luke Barnatt at UFC Fight Night 63 in Virginia

The lineup for next month’s UFC Fight Night 63 card near the nation’s capital will go on absent a fight.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Clint Hester injured, UFC Fight Night 63 fight against Luke Barnatt in Fairfax scrapped

And the injury bug returns. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass have decided to move forward with a ten-fight UFC Fight Night 63 card as the scheduled "Prelims" middleweight bout between The U read news >>

UFC Fight Night 64 gets two new bouts due to injury

According to a statement released by the UFC on Friday, two bouts have been added to the UFC Fight Night 64 (UFC Krakow) fight card after injuries caused two previous bouts to be changed. "With injur read news >>

UFC 184 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 184 event in Los Angeles, several of the winning and losing fighterstook to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.F read news >>

Despite victory, Derrick Lewis still feeling effects of blood clot injury

LOS ANGELES -- UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis spoke to the media about his victory over Ruan Potts at UFC 184, the blood clot injury he suffered at American Top Team, why he only wants to fight three read news >>