It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

Bellator champ Koreshkov not bothered by Lima's injury claims, but says all fighters deal with them

After losing Bellator’s welterweight belt to Andrey Koreshkov last year, Douglas Lima said that, impaired by injuries, he shouldn’t even have been in the cage that night. But the current champ, it se read news >>

Bellator 164 results: Douglas Lima drops Andrey Koreshkov to reclaim title

More than a year after losing his title, Douglas Lima knocked out Andrey Koreshkov to avenge a loss and take back the Bellator welterweight title.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC 205 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 205 in New York City several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Eddie Alvarez and UFC 205's other losing fighters?

Defeats are rarely easy for fighters to accept. For UFC 205’s losing competitors, however, they can take solace in the fact they participated on perhaps the most stacked pay-per-view card in history read news >>

Conor McGregor Injury Shaped Fight, but Will it Force Down Time? | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor reveals injury that shaped his UFC 205 bout with Eddie Alvarez, but will fighting through it cost him further downtime? read news >>

Injury Forces UFC 206 Bout Cancellation | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC 206: Cormier vs. Johnson fight card has been reduced by one bout. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 99 event in Belfast, Northern Ireland, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. C read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 100 event in Sao Paulo, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some o read news >>

Former Champ Luke Rockhold Reveals Outlook on Knee Injury | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champ Luke Rockhold suffered a knee injury during training that prevented him from facing Jacare Souza at UFC Fight Night 101 in Melbourne. read news >>

Brazilian Commission Says Cortney Casey 'Forged Injury' from Illegal Kick | MMAWeekly.com

Cortney Casey claimed she was the victim of an illegal head kick. The Brazilian athletic commission claimed she was faking it. read news >>