It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

Ronda Rousey Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Status and Return

UFC star Ronda Rousey surrendered her UFC bantamweight title to Holly Holm at UFC 193, and she didn't escape Saturday's bout unharmed as she was transported to the local hospital, according to ESPN.c read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov opts against retirement but won't get desired Al Iaquinta matchup

Although another recent injury had Khabib Nurmagomedov considering retirement, he’s opted to fight on. But he won’t get his desired matchup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ramsey Nijem says cut from UFC was result of refusal to sign new deal, not losing skid

Ramsey Nijem was one of many fighters who was released by the UFC in the promotion's latest roster purge. The former finalist on "The Ultimate Fighter" Season 13 thinks it had more to do with his unh read news >>

Mirko Cro Cop Retires After Shoulder Injury Forces UFC Seoul Withdrawal

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, a living legend in kickboxing and MMA, has retired from competition after a shoulder injury forced him to bow out of UFC Fight Night 79 in Seoul, South Korea. It is not the read news >>

Mirko Cro Cop Out at UFC Seoul with Injury, Says He’s Done Fighting

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic is out of the UFC Fight Night 79 co-main event in Seoul, and appears to be finished fighting, as well. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 77, fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Glover Teixeira's TKO of Patrick Cummins at UFC Fight Night 77

Glover Teixeira continued to show his two-fight losing skid in 2014 was a mere bump in the road when he won his second straight fight in the octagon with a second-round TKO of Patrick Cummins at UFC read news >>

Glory Kickboxing 25: Milan Fight Card, Schedule and Predictions

Despite Glory Kickboxing recently losing its television deal with Spike TV, the shows must go on. On Friday, Nov. 6, Glory 25 in Milan will take place. The promotion's website lists the lightweight t read news >>

Matt Brown Withdraws from Fight with Kelvin Gastelum, Future of Bout Uncertain

Matt Brown, citing an injury, has been forced to pull out of his November 21 main event bout with Kelvin Gastelum. The popular welterweight evidently injured his ankle while training, according to a read news >>

Sexy, Spooky, Funny, Scary MMA Fighter Halloween Costumes

Check out the sexy, spooky, funny, scary MMA Halloween extravaganza! read news >>