It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

Former Champ Pat Curran Draws New Bellator 139 Opponent

With an unfortunate injury forcing the withdrawal of Goiti Yamauchi, former featherweight champ Pat Curran has a new Bellator 139 opponent. read news >>

Pat Curran gets new opponent for Bellator 139

An undisclosed injury forced Goiti Yamauchi out of Bellator 139, and Pat Curran has a new opponent on 18 days’ notice. Curran, a former Bellator featherweight champion, is now set to take on Emmanuel read news >>

Bellator 139's Pat Curran using two-fight losing streak as motivation to 'get it done' against Emmanuel Sanchez at Bella

Former two-time Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran is mired in a two-fight losing streak. He plans on blocking out the pressure and is motivated to get past Emmanuel Sanchez tonight at Bellat read news >>

Injury Bug Hits UFC Berlin, Uriah Hall and Steve Kennedy Save the Day

Two fights at next week's UFC Berlin have undergone changes, as two fighters have been forced to withdraw due to injury. read news >>

Peter Sobotta gets new opponent for UFC Fight Night 69 with Sergio Moraes injured

Sergio Moraes is again sidelined with an injury. The Brazilian grappler, who spent 617 days outside the Octagon with a severe knee injury, was forced out of an upcoming UFC Fight Night 69 bout with P read news >>

Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov discusses Khabib’s recovery and whether AKA is to blame for injury

Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov discusses his son’s recovery and whether AKA is to blame for the injuries. Back in April, the UFC 187 fight card was dealt a significant blow when it was announced that top li read news >>

Goiti Yamauchi forced out of Bellator 139 bout with ex-champ Pat Curran

Following Goiti Yamauchi’s withdrawal from Bellator 139, former featherweight champion Pat Curran has a new opponent for the June 26 card.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumors, News read news >>

Sans Bellator Belt, Michael Chandler Believes He’s Still One of the World’s Best

Despite losing his Bellator belt and sliding into a skid, Michael Chandler enters Bellator 138 believing he's still one of the best lightweights in the world. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 68 event in New Orleans, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those read news >>

Dan Henderson's hand injury at UFC Fight Night 68 'nothing a cold beer won't help'

NEW ORLEANS – Dan Henderson’s thrilling knockout victory over Tim Boetsch in the main event of UFC Fight Night 68 surprised a lot of people and inspired some online sentiment that this would be the p read news >>