A Tough Summer in Denver and DirecTV Outage Didn’t Help UFC 150 Sales


The state of Colorado has had an extremely rough summer.

A series of wildfires in the state spread over acreage measuring in the hundreds of thousands, while thousands of residents were forced to flee their homes.

It didn’t get any easier when a psychopath opened fire in a suburban Denver movie theater on the opening night of “The Dark Knight Rises,” killing 12 and injuring 58 others.

So in the grand scheme of things, the residents of Colorado have obviously had a lot more important issues on their minds that didn’t include a mixed martial arts event coming to town.

UFC 150: Henderson vs. Edgar II landed in Denver on Saturday night and while the attendance for the show packed the Pepsi Center, the overall gate only amassed $650,000, the lowest for a UFC pay-per-view since 2007, according to UFC president Dana White.

White says that they discussed the issues with ticket sales amongst UFC staff and executives, and ultimately Colorado has just had so much ill fortune lately that the least of their worries was attending an MMA event this month.

“Talking about it, the shootings here, the fires that have been going on here, it’s been a really bad summer for this place,” White said after UFC 150 ended. “Once all that stuff started going down, we kind of felt it was not going to be a good gate here.”

The live gate suffering was a foreseeable action when looking at the locale of the event and the situations that had befallen the residents of Colorado.

As far as the pay-per-view sales, UFC 150 also took a major hit for unforeseen reasons.

White revealed that satellite provider DirecTV went down for Saturday night, causing subscribers to not be able to view or purchase the UFC 150 event at home.

Overall, White just has to chalk it up to a bad night for UFC 150 to take place.

“We couldn’t get kicked in the balls worse than we did tonight.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 5 days ago
  • 5 views

Summer break is over, kids. It’s time to get back to school. After three weeks of sun, cervezas, and no UFC fights, you can dust off your cable box and tune in for UFC Fight Night 47. The event marks read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 40 views

Dana White explains why Chris Cariaso will get a shot at Demetrious Johnson while saying that fans will complain about Johnson no matter who he fights. The reception to Chris Cariaso's flyweight titl read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 42 views

UFC president Dana White is fond of Dutch heavyweight Stefan Struve, but is concerned about giving him another fight after a panic attack forced him out of hi sUFC 175 bout against Matt Mitrione. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 23 views

UFC 177 will provide the lighter weight classes with another chance to showcase their skills, as title fights in the bantamweight and flyweight divisions headline the evening's main card. But the Aug read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 33 views

Last week, UFC president Dana White hinted that significant news about the potential fighting future of pioneering women's MMA star Gina Carano could come down this week. Well, it's already been a ba read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 592 views

So you’re head of the world’s largest MMA promotion, and 24 hours before a major event on network television, you learn that one of your headliners won’t fight because his opponent failed to make wei read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 90 views

Dana White said before Saturday night's main event between Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown that he would walk back to Las Vegas if the thing went to a decision. Guess what? It's 516 miles from San Jose' read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 26 views

SAN JOSE, Calif. - UFC president Dana White didn't stick around for one of his traditional post-fight scrums on Saturday night UFC on FOX 12, leaving during the middle of the press conference at the read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 22 views

SAN JOSE – Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 12 card, UFC President Dana White announced a canceled rematch between featherweight champ Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes will headline UFC 179 on Oct. 25 in Rio read news >>