#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler

It’s easy to say that former Bellator bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky was a little shocked when he received word after his last fight that he was being released from the promotion.

Granted, Makovsky had lost two fights in a row, but one of them was when he dropped the title to current champion Eduardo Dantas, and the second was a split decision loss to Anthony Leone, but still it seemed somewhat odd that a former champion was dropped only one fight after holding the title.

“I was surprised. I didn’t think they would release me,” Makovsky told MMAWeekly.com. “Right after the fight Bjorn (Rebney) came back to my locker room and said ‘don’t worry about it, we’re going to get through this, things happen,’ and then there was nothing really spoken to me at the press conference or anything afterwards until I got my release.

“So it was really a surprise; I didn’t really see it coming.”

Whatever the reason was behind the organization releasing Makovsky, he is now looking at it as a positive step for his career because he is now planning a move to a whole new weight class, and it happens to be one that Bellator doesn’t currently promote.

“It’s kind of the natural evolution of the sport. I think the last three guys I fought all walk around between 160 and 165, and I walk around a little bit under 145, so it’s somewhat of a significant difference. People get better at cutting weight, people using IV’s after weigh-ins and all that kind of stuff now. I wrestled my whole life and cut weight my whole life, so I never really wanted to cut too much anymore, but time’s are changing so I think it’s the right move,” Makovsky stated confirming his move to 125 pounds.

“That weight class is opening up. The UFC has a flyweight division and all the lighter weight classes are getting more popular. I think it’s a good time to do it.”

Add to that Bellator’s lack of a flyweight division and Makovsky’s release will give him the time to drop weight, and make a run at 125 pounds and hopefully a slot in the UFC.

“They don’t have a flyweight division and I think that’s the best move for me, so I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. I had four more fights on my contract, and if you go back in a tournament you have to sign a new tournament contract, and if you end up winning your contract gets extended, so if you want to make a move it gets really hard to get out of your contract,” Makovsky explained.

“I think if I was looking to make a move to 125 pounds, this was really the best thing.”

The plan now for Makovsky is to start getting his diet in line as he works to make a test cut down to 125 pounds, and he’d like to get back in action in early spring 2013, and then hopefully catch the attention of UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.

“I think it’s a very good time to get in (the UFC),” said Makovsky. “So that’s what I’m hoping for.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Comments

Bellator signs undefeated grappling ace Leonardo Leite

Bellator’s light heavyweight division has added an undefeated Brazilian standout.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

A Fight with Conor? Bellator 3-Division Champ? Rory MacDonald Wants It All

Rory MacDonald seems to have found some extra swagger since arriving in Bellator MMA. Perhaps there's good reason for that. Long regarded as one of the top welterweights in the world, the 28-year-old read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

Gegard Mousasi targets 205-pound division after he captures Bellator middleweight title

• a day ago

Gegard Mousasi’s potential reign in the Bellator middleweight division may be short lived.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor 'Notorious' Documentary Lands in Theaters for One Night Only | MMAWeekly.com

• 20 hours ago

Conor McGregor's new documentary 'Notorious' will get a theatrical release but only for one night in November. The film, which covers four years of McGregor's career, will have a special one night en read news >>

Bellator commentator Jimmy Smith: MMA loves Heather Hardy because she has 'it' factor

• 14 hours ago

WBC international champ Heather Hardy loves MMA, and MMA loves her back.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator 185, where Gegard Mousasi looks to establish dominance

• 12 hours ago

Gegard Mousasi, making his Bellator debut, has an ambitious plan in place that he will attempt to put into motion vs. Alexander Shlemenko.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 185's Heather Hardy, Ana Julaton start the dance toward eventual fight

• 11 hours ago

It’s probably not by accident that Heather Hardy and Ana Julaton are fighting on the Bellator 185 main card – just not against each other.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 185 headliner Alexander Shlemenko: Win over Gegard Mousasi already makes me champ

• 10 hours ago

It’s no secret ex-champ Alexander Shlemenko would like to fast-track his way back to the Bellator middleweight belt against Gegard Mousasi.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Gegard Mousasi Reveals his Bellator Hit List Including Two Titles and Rory MacDonald | MMAWeekly.com

• 10 hours ago

Gegard Mousasi is just about to step into a Bellator cage for the first time on Friday night, but the former UFC middleweight contender already has big plans for his new fight home. Mousasi signed wi read news >>