#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Javy Ayala

Fabricio Werdum could soon join the hunt for the UFC heavyweight title. | File Photo: Sherdog.com

Following 50 days of taping for “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 2,” Fabricio Werdum returned to Los Angeles to begin preparing for his highly anticipated rematch with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the UFC on Fuel TV 10 main event on June 8 at the Paulo Sarasate Gymnasium in Fortaleza, Brazil.

Nogueira defeated Werdum by unanimous decision under the Pride Fighting Championships banner in July 2006. The two heavyweights are coaching opposite one another on the reality show.

“You know, ‘Minotauro’ only has entertaining fights, and they are always marked by his resilience,” Werdum told Sherdog.com, “so I’m training hard to avoid it this time and come out with the victory.”

Though his focus remains planted on Nogueira, Werdum will keep an eye on a pair of high-stakes UFC 160 matchups that will help shape the landscape at the top of the heavyweight division: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva and Junior dos Santos vs. Mark Hunt.

“I strongly believe in ‘Bigfoot’ in this rematch against Velasquez,” Werdum said. “He has evolved as a fighter since their first fight [at UFC 146]. By following the right strategy and not being worried about just takedowns, like he was the first time, he has every chance to knock out Velasquez. I fought [Silva], and I know the weight of that giant hand. That juggernaut coming at you ... I think he’ll win. I’m hoping for that. ‘Bigfoot’ is now a great friend.”

Werdum also stands behind dos Santos, a man with whom he has traded public barbs in the past. Dos Santos knocked out Werdum at UFC 90 in October 2008, and “Vai Cavalo” has done nothing to hide his desire for a rematch. Still, he finds himself pulling for his countryman against the resurgent Hunt.

“I’m rooting for ‘Cinago,’” Werdum said. “I believe he will win, but you have to respect Hunt. He lures you into range and hits you, and he’s beaten several big names from K-1. I believe in ‘Cigano’s’ hands, but if I was his coach, I would advise him to go for the takedown.”

A victory over the beloved Nogueira could conceivably vault Werdum into position as the number one contender for the Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight crown, though the two-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships gold medalist believes chances of an immediate crack at the title remain remote.

“Looking at the UFC schedule, I think it’s unlikely,” said Werdum, who has forged an alliance with Fabio Gurgel, one of his coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” series. “‘Bigfoot,’ Cain and dos Santos fight on May 25, and I fight on June 8. I think whoever is champion will have to fight one more time before I have a right to a title shot -- if I win.

“Right now, I’m focused on my fight with Rodrigo, who’s a tough opponent,” he added. “If I beat him and need to fight another fight before a title shot, no problem.”

Werdum enjoyed his time on “The Ultimate Fighter,” watching fellow Brazilians vie for a spot in the UFC.

“I can only say you will see great fights from new fighters with great skills,” he said, “and you will laugh more than you did during the first season.”

Coaching opposite Nogueira gave Werdum a deeper respect for the revered former Pride champion.

“I’ve heard people talk about how great a person ‘Minotauro’ is, but over these 50 days, I had the opportunity to get to know him,” he said. “Guys like him just don’t exist. One day, I was backstage suffering with hip pain, and he offered me his physiotherapist. What do you say about a guy like that?”

Galleries

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Comments

The Ultimate Fighter 26 Season Preview

For only the second time in the history of The Ultimate Fighter, a champion will be crowned, as the women's flyweight division is introduced with 16 of the top 125-pound fighters on the planet vying read news >>

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast: Shana Dobson, the school teacher

When Shana Dobson isn’t training or in the cage, she’s at school teaching fourth-grade kids how to read, write and do math.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joby Sanchez Has Fought His Way Back To The UFC | MMAWeekly.com

After being released from the UFC following The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale in late 2015, flyweight Joby Sanchez has fought his way back to the organization. read news >>

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast: Roxanne Modafferi, back for more

Roxanne Modafferi first appeared on Season 18 of “The Ultimate Fighter” and says she’s back as a more complete martial artist.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Super Six - Fabricio Werdum’s Defining Moments

Fabricio Werdum hopes to move one step closer to a shot at regaining the crown when he faces Derrick Lewis at UFC 216. Read on for a look at six of his defining moments. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter: Ep. 1 Preview

The newest installment of The Ultimate Fighter will kick off tonight at 10 pm ET on FS1, and for the first time in five seasons, a champion will be crowned as the women's flyweight division is introd read news >>

Episode No. 1 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

Check out a recap of episode No. 1 of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which will crown the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 26 Debut: Roxanne Modafferi Dominates in First Fight | MMAWeekly.com

When the Ultimate Fighting Championship brought in the women's 115-pound division in 2014, the promotion held a tournament on The Ultimate Fighter 20 to crown the inaugural strawweight champion. They read news >>

'TUF 23' winner Andrew Sanchez meets Ryan Janes at TUF 26 Finale in December

The next edition of the live finale of “The Ultimate Fighter” has its latest fight booking, and it features a past “TUF” winner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast: DeAnna Bennett, who used water polo to get to MMA

Get to know the cast of Season 26 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” including DeAnna Bennett with a unique water polo and wrestling background.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>