#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Rizin 7 #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Pancrase #Kevin Lee

Urijah Faber was once again denied a UFC title Saturday night, as “The California Kid” dropped a unanimous decision to new interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao in the UFC 149 main event.

Faber (Pictured, file photo) could not find his mark at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, as Barao kept the former WEC featherweight king on the outside while landing the cleaner shots in their five-round headliner.

“I knew he was very tough. I have a difficult time with guys who are really good at defending takedowns and really good at leg kicks,” said Faber at the post-fight press conference. “I was doing a pretty good job of avoiding the leg kicks, but I just wasn’t able to get off with my offense like I wanted to. I would have liked to have seen some scrambles on the ground and landed some more combos, but he was going a really good job of keeping the distance.”

Though Faber attempted to throw Barao by swapping stances and mixing up his striking with takedown attempts, the Brazilian stayed committed to dictating the bout’s pace from center cage, injuring Faber’s ribs early in the bout with a knee strike.

“I was a little shaken up. He got me with a knee either in the first round or early in the second,” said Faber. “I think I have a broken rib. I ate like three or four solid leg kicks, but it will be fine in three or four days. I just wasn’t as squirrely out there [as I would have liked to have been].”

Faber and Barao’s bout did not set the crowd on fire, as the American spent most of the fight trying to find the answer to Barao’s difficult style. Additionally, the main event contest followed two slow-paced bouts on the pay-per-view draw, a fact that likely contributed to the fans in attendance booing the elite bantamweights.

“You never want to hear boos, but you’re more concerned about the guy trying to take your head off [and give you] broken ribs and swollen legs and all that stuff,” said Faber of the crowd reaction. “I don’t ever want to be in a fight where I hear people booing, but I just had to do my best out there tonight. Barao fought a smart fight. He’s really good with his length, and he was able to keep me at bay. I would have liked to have gotten a little crazy in there, but jumping around like a wild man and doing something stupid probably wouldn’t have been the smartest thing. I was trying to punch him in the face, but I didn’t get it done.”

Faber was initially expected to face Dominick Cruz for the undisputed title before “The Dominator” was forced to withdraw from the bout with a torn ACL. As the interim belt now belongs to Barao, it appears Faber’s rubber match with Cruz will have to wait. Though the Team Alpha Male founder does not know what the future will hold for him, he says there is one place he will not visit any time soon: the flyweight division.

“[There is] no way [I could make flyweight]. I put on 18 pounds last night [after weigh-ins], so 135 is where I will be,” said Faber. “I fought a guy who is on the biggest win streak in active MMA right now and wasn’t able to get it done. I had a close fight with Dominick, who is considered the champ right now as well, so I’m right there. It’s just a matter of continuing to heal up and reassessing how I’m going to approach this thing.”

Galleries

Urijah Faber Fights

• a year ago

Comments

'Shogun' Rua reveals struggle to try to keep UFC-Japan spot after knee injury early in camp

Ex-UFC champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua apologized to the fans and opponent Ovince Saint Preux after pulling out of UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

VanZant forced out of 216 bout with Eye

Due to injury, Paige VanZant has been forced to withdraw from her UFC 216 bout against Jessica Eye on Oct. 7. read news >>

Relive Fabricio Werdum's UFC 180 KO of Mark Hunt (Fight Flashback) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Fabricio Werdum defeat Mark Hunt for the UFC heavyweight interim title at UFC 180. read news >>

Augusto Mendes reveals injury, withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 119 bout vs. Boston Salmon

Grappling standout Augusto Mendes will have to wait a little bit longer before making his return to the octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Knee injury, surgery forces Teemu Packalen from UFC Fight night 118 vs. Marcin Held

The UFC’s return to Poland later this month for UFC Fight Night 118 has taken a hit to one of its featured bouts. Filed under: News read news >>

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' late withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum

Check out the top Twitter reactions to Derrick Lewis’ injury and withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg: 'Sneaky' UFC champ Demetrious Johnson was like 'fighting my future self'

Ray Borg was humble in defeat following his wild submission loss to UFC champ Demetrious Johnson at UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jeremy Kennedy out, Alex Volkanovski meets Humerto Bandenay at UFC-Sydney

With Jeremy Kennedy out with a back injury, Australia’s Alex Volkanovski will remain on the card in his home country next month. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 medical suspensions: Ray Borg potentially out six months with finger injury

After tapping to an armbar in the fifth round of UFC 216’s co-headliner, Ray Borg is facing a six-month medical suspension for a finger injury. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>