#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Bellator 185 #Andre Fili #KSW 40 #MMA Rocks #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Norman Parke #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Jan Blachowicz

Sergio Pettis-RFA 7 PosterLast month’s RFA show was supposed to be a coming out for Roufusport featherweight Sergio “Phenom” Pettis, but an injury to his opponent forced him off the card.

Thankfully, Pettis was able to get onto the NAFC card the following week and showed no signs of a letdown as he defeated Josh Robinson via unanimous decision, raising his record to 7-0.

“It was really tough mentally,” said Pettis. “I was trying to prepare for one opponent and then that unfortunately didn’t go through due to injury, but I was able to get a new opponent (in another show) the week after so I was really thankful for that.

“(Robinson) was pretty tough. He took a lot of hits. I hit him with a lot of pretty cool stuff like a spinning elbow that Jon Jones throws a lot, and I kicked him so many times that my legs are still store from kicking him. I wasn’t able to finish the guy, which sucks, but he was a really tough guy that kept coming forward.”

Even though he’s won all his fights, Pettis told MMAWeekly.com that it’s only just lately that he’s starting to come into himself as a fighter.

“I’ve learned a lot from my first fight to where I am now,” he said. “I didn’t have much of an amateur career, so I was learning as I was winning and started to feel a lot more comfortable and was able to throw some stuff that I normally do in the gym.

“At the beginning I could throw stuff, but I didn’t have much confidence behind what I was throwing. But now I’m more confident in the cage and used to performing in front of a crowd, I’m able to throw that extra meanness into my game and make everything count.”

Another big reason why Pettis has been able to progress quickly is because he’s able to use his brother, UFC star Anthony Pettis, as a guide to going about things the right way in his career.

“My brother Anthony helps me a lot out with that,” said Pettis. “He’s been through it all; coming from the bottom and now he’s at the top; the stuff that happens in between and what to look out for. He’s helping pave my career and has helped me out a lot.”

With his brother as an example, it’s no surprise that Pettis’ goal for this year is to join him on the biggest stage of MMA.

“My goal has been to get into the UFC by the time I’m 20, so I want to be in the UFC this year or by at least the time I’m 21,” he said. “Fight after fight I just want to have a good record, a clean record and just compete with the top contenders at 125 pounds.”

Galleries

Sergio Pettis Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Andrea Lee vs. Kalindra Faria a late addition to next week's UFC 216 lineup

Next week’s UFC 216 lineup will apparently have 13 fights, after all.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

Kevin Lee: The Fights That Have Him on the Verge of History

In the main event of UFC 216 on Oct. 7, Kevin Lee steps into the Octagon for the biggest fight of his career when he faces Tony Ferguson for the interim UFC lightweight title. In the meantime, we tak read news >>

THE 10: Top UFC Lightweight Title Fights

In advance of what should be an electric encounter between two bitter rivals and elite talents at UFC 216, here’s a look back at some of the outstanding championship fights of the past in the 155-pou read news >>

Henry Cejudo Confirms He's Fighting Sergio Pettis at UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

Let's try this one more time. Henry Cejudo confirmed late Thursday that he is planning to face Sergio Pettis at UFC 218 on Dec. 2 in Detroit. Cejudo's confirmation follows an initial report by MMA Fi read news >>

Kevin Lee Doesn't Respect Conor McGregor's UFC Lightweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

Lightweight contender Kevin Lee fights Tony Ferguson for the interim 155-pound title at UFC 216 and weighs in on Conor McGregor's lightweight legacy. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg: UFC 216 Countdown Video | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson aims to break Anderson Silva’s title-defense record, but 24-year-old Ray Borg is focused on playing spoiler. read news >>

Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis rebooked for UFC 218 in Detroit

A crucial flyweight fight appears to be on deck for the UFC’s return to the “Motor City.” Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

That big UFC 217 event with 3 title fights? Here's the official poster

As far as UFC events go, UFC 217 is a biggie, and now the November blockbuster has an official poster.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Former UFC Fighter Shayna Baszler Inks a Deal to Join WWE | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight competitor and "Ultimate Fighter" veteran Shayna Baszler has officially joined the WWE roster. WWE officials announced the news on Tuesday. Just recently, Baszler comp read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Countdown Video (Full Episode) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee features two title fights, and flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has history on line in the fight card's co-main event. read news >>