#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55 #Conor McGregor

tom-watson-5.jpgSTOCKHOLM – Riding high from the biggest win of his career, British middleweight slugger Tom Watson (16-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is aiming even higher. A full month after calling out MMA legend Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC), Watson remans adamant he would knock out the Brazilian if given the chance.

And while he’s come under fire from some fans who believe he’s being a bit disrespectful, Watson said he has no regrets.

“From my point of view, I go online and I say, ‘Wanderlei, you’re a legend. Please can I fight you?’ Nobody cares,” Watson said. “If I go in there and say, ‘Wanderlei, listen. Come to fight, and I’ll knock you out’ – which I will do, you know that – then maybe we’ll fight.”

Watson’s remarks came during Friday’s UFC Fight Club Q&A session, which preceded the official UFC on FUEL TV 9 weigh-ins at Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena.

Watson most recently fought at February’s UFC on FUEL TV 8 event in England, where he scored the evening’s “Knockout of the Night” and “Fight of the Night” bonuses in a thrilling second-round stoppage of Stanislav Nedkov. Shortly after, he took to Twitter to ask UFC officials for his next opponent, and he named “The Axe Murderer” as his top target.

“Yo @wandfc, stay on your supplements at 205, or come back to 185 and get knocked the f— out,” Watson wrote. “You decide? Obrigado @ufc & @danawhite.”

Silva then appeared on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), where he said he wasn’t offended by Watson’s remarks and request.

“More guys talking about me is good,” Silva said. “Talking good or talking bad, but talking about me is good.”

But Silva’s fans weren’t quite as forgiving and immediately attacked Watson, who’s just two fights into his UFC career, for calling out an MMA legend.

Watson said he didn’t mean for anyone to take offense at his idea.

“Everybody got carried away with it, all of Wanderlei’s fans,” Watson said. “I have nothing against Wanderlei. Many of his fans have told me online that it’s disgraceful I called out a legend. But here’s what it is: Wanderlei Silva’s last fight, he fought Brian Stann. I’m very good friends with Brian Stann. I’ve lived in his house. I know his family very well, and (when) I watch a fight and see my friend get knocked out, my reaction is, ‘I want to get this guy myself.’”

Whether or not the UFC will ultimately agree with Watson remains to be seen. Nursing a few nagging injuries, Watson said June or July seems a logical date for his next booking. Meanwhile, Silva’s past two fights have been contested at limits heavier than 185 pounds, and the 36-year-old has expressed some concern about cutting weight at this stage of his career.

With that in mind, Watson said he’s not exactly optimistic. Still, he thinks it’s a matchup that absolutely should happen.

“Listen, I don’t see it happening,” Watson said. “Look, Wanderlei is at 205 pounds. He’s got bigger names. But I just think for the fans, that would be a great fight.

“I want someone who’s going to stand up and throw down, and who does that more than Wanderlei? Not many guys.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Wanderlei Silva Fights

• 5 months ago

Comments

Francis Ngannou's motivation goes deeper than MMA ahead of UFC 218 fight vs. Alistair Overeem

The biggest fight of Francis Ngannou’s young career is right around the corner against Alistair Overeem at UFC 218.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Will Georges St-Pierre vs. Robert Whittaker title-unifier headline UFC 221 in Perth?

Could the biggest fight of Robert Whittaker’s life – against Georges St-Pierre – come close to home?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Alex Volkanovski ready to take on biggest talkers in UFC's featherweight division

Alex Volkanovski says you didn’t see the best version of him Saturday in Australia, but given the right opponent, he thinks you will soon.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Firas Zahabi: No ring rust for Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217; it'll be 'like riding a bike'

George St-Pierre’s trainer believes the former champion has the advantage on Michael Bisping heading into their UFC 217 title fight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Karl Roberson stays perfect, taps out Darren Stewart

Undefeated middleweight prospect Karl Roberson kept his perfect career record intact, debuting in the UFC with a first-round win over Darren Stewart.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos was probably UFC Fight Night 119's biggest winner

A win, a “Fight of the Night” bonus and the news that he was going to be a father? Good luck trying to top Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos’ Saturday night.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping suffered one of the toughest losses of his UFC career at UFC 217, dropping the middleweight championship to Georges St-Pierre after getting choked out cold. So how is the Brit recover read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 attendance: Event stands as most attended UFC card in Virginia

NORFOLK, Va. – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 112 event drew an announced attendance of 8,442, producing a live gate of $642,070.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sage Northcutt focused solely on UFC career with college no longer holding him back

21-year-old Sage Northcutt is ready to get serious about MMA with a little help from Team Alpha Male as he moves past UFC-Norfolk.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor Names His Terms for Return to the UFC

The biggest question in MMA today isn't about UFC 217 or the upcoming UFC TV deal negotiations. No, the biggest question in MMA today is "what the heck is going on with Conor McGregor?" While many we read news >>