#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Conor McGregor #Justin Gaethje #Alexander Gustafsson #Daniel Cormier #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Jon Jones #UFC New York #Chael Sonnen #Nate Diaz #UFC 217 #Kevin Lee #Tony Ferguson #Edson Barboza

UFC's Gilbert Burns discusses tough, but needed reassessment after painful loss a year ago

When Gilbert Burns suffered his first loss in professional MMA, he took it hard. Very hard. But still, somehow, the second time topped it.

Having just rebounded from a decision setback to Rashid Magomedov, which snapped a three-fight octagon winning streak, Burns was beaming with confidence when he entered a UFC Fight Night 95 appointment with Brazilian countryman Michel Prazeres.

“I thought I was going to kill him,” Burns told MMAjunkie.

The tough Prazeres, however, had other plans. And, once more, Burns saw himself landing on the losing end of the judges’ scorecards. You’d think that, having already gone through the process of a setback, this time things would have been easier, right?

Wrong.

“This one was actually worse,” Burns said. “I was really down. I was very depressed. It was something that made me really stop and assess what I wanted and what I had to change. There was a lot of self-analysis to see what I needed to improve.

“Because I didn’t want to be that average fighter who wins one, then loses one, then wins one. Either I do this right, or I won’t do it. Either I do it right so I can rise, win fights and become a top-five fighter and a title contender, or I’ll stop. That was my feeling.”

But, for the ever-optimistic Burns, there seems to be very little that can’t be spun under a positive light. The loss, he says, served as a wake-up call. For one, it showed him not to underestimate his competition. But, more importantly, it forced him to make some much-needed reassessment.

“I changed a lot in my training,” Burns said. “I took it more seriously, trained harder. I did some serious self-analysis to see what was missing, because I didn’t want to be on that see-saw of results. I already thought I was very professional in the way I trained and conducted things. But, this time, I took it even more seriously. I got even more professional.

“I took notes in training, I set goals even during the training sessions, and I think that helped me evolve even more. The loss showed me that there was room for improvement.”

It’s not exactly uncommon for fighters to come to these types of conclusions after losses. But Burns (12-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) has results to show for them. One year after the setback, he returned against Jason Saggo (12-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC), at UFC Fight Night 116, not only with a win, but also with the first knockout of his UFC stint.

The long layoff wasn’t exactly welcome: Burns, in fact, went right back into training after UFC Fight Night 95 looking to get a quick turnaround. The booking he’d been anxiously awaiting finally came in December, but then an elbow injury forced him to cancel. And more waiting ensued.

Conversely, the Brazilian lightweight had more time to tweak things in a few fronts. On the technical side, “Durinho” invested heavily in his boxing and wrestling. He also changed things up geographically: instead of doing the entirety of his training in the U.S., he started laying out the foundation for it in his home country, in Brasilia, with UFC welterweight Vicente Luque.

But, for the lauded grappler, a particularly important addition was made to help with another aspect of his game.

“Something else I did was intense work with a sports psychologist,” Burns said.

The psychologist, who also works with Olympic-level athletes from Brazil’s national judo team, assessed Burns with tests and helped him organize and set goals for his training sessions and beyond. More than that, though, it helped him cope with expectations and pressure.

That definitely came in handy in his last octagon outing. As if the stakes weren’t high enough already, the bout carried the added weight of being the last one in Burns’ UFC contract. Taking it all into account, he ponders, the Saggo meeting was supposed to be the most daunting one of his career.

But, somehow, it wasn’t.

“This was my first fight in the UFC that I entered pressure-free,” Burns said. “I went into it very, very hungry to fight – which I didn’t feel going into the Prazeres fight.”

Now back in the winning column, Burns is hoping to get a new deal and a fight locked in quickly. While he has yet to sit down with promotion officials, the 155-pounder is hoping for a December return – UFC 218 on Dec. 2, for instance, would suit him just fine.

As for possible competition, Burns has a few ideas – judo-based Olivier Aubin-Mercier, who won his fight against Tony Martin on the same Pittsburgh card, and Scottish standout Stevie Ray, whom Burns has already responded to on Twitter, come to mind.

But “Durinho” sees so many options of opponents in the stacked 155-pound division that he doesn’t even want to start naming them all. Not to mention that, at this point, his plans are not that much about the “who” as they are about the “how” and “how many.”

“I want to get a bunch of wins in a row now,” Burns said. “I’m not going to go around picking big names, or cards. I just want to get three, four, five consecutive wins now.”

With that in mind, regardless of getting his desired December booking, Burns is already looking to start working on the basis for his camp shortly – that’s another thing, he says, that has changed. Instead of jumping right into his peers’ fight-specific preparation, he wants to work on the fundamentals first and build up from there.

“Another thing I’ll do is, I’ll watch the fight again and write down every little thing I did wrong,” Burns said. “I have notes from the entire camp.

“So I’m going to go over everything that I did wrong, everything that I can improve on. I think that will also help me a lot in my next fight.”

Isn’t this level of diligence sort of exhausting, though?

“I go psycho,” Burns responded with a laugh. “But that’s just how upset I get when I lose.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

UFC Glendale's Gilbert Burns discusses scrapped bout, lost opponent and new matchup

It’s been a bit of a nightmare for Gilbert Burns to make it to his latest UFC fight day. read news >>

How UFC 223's Khabib Nurmagomedov can join Royce Gracie and Anderson Silva in UFC lore

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov can join a rare group if he emerges as the winner of April’s UFC 223 main event against Tony Ferguson. read news >>

Joe Duffy didn't take the bait from Conor McGregor, even when he could have

UFC lightweight Joe Duffy remembers a backstage run-in with Conor McGregor and what he said to defuse an argument. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: UFC 223 Fighting Spirit | MMAWeekly.com

Former strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk discusses her fighting spirit ahead of her highly anticipated rematch with Rose Namajunas at UFC 223 on April 7. read news >>

Why Michael Chiesa picks Khabib Nurmagomedov to beat Tony Ferguson at UFC 223

UFC lightweight Michael Chiesa admires the heck out of colleague Tony Ferguson – but still thinks “El Cucuy” will lose to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223. read news >>

Gilbert Burns vs. Dan Moret added to UFC on FOX 29 in Glendale

A lightweight bout between Gilbert Burns and octagon newcomer Dan Moret has been added to UFC on FOX 29. read news >>

UFC Owners Purchase Streaming Provider for $250 Million | MMAWeekly.com

Endeavor — the parent company to the UFC — acquired streaming company NeuLion for a purchase price of $250 million earlier this week. NeuLion's streaming service has worked with numerous sports outle read news >>

UFC on FOX 29's Justin Gaethje will ask for Eddie Alvarez rematch or title shot

UFC lightweight brawler Justin Gaethje plans to ask for a rematch with Eddie Alvarez or a title shot if he beats Dustin Poirier at UFC on FOX 29. read news >>

Conor McGregor Issues Arnold Schwarzenegger Well Wishes After Heart Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor issued a heartfelt message to friend and inspiration Arnold Schwarzenegger after the former bodybuilder-turned-actor-turned-governor underwent successful heart read news >>

Tony Ferguson Ahead of UFC 223: 'I Hit the Speed Bag Better Than Canelo' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Interim UFC lightweight champion Tony Ferguson spoke at length with the MMA media ahead of his UFC 223 headliner with Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

Who is the Best UFC Lightweight of All Time? | MMAWeekly.com

In every UFC weight class, there have been one or two standout fighters who have earned the title of best of all time. But who is the best UFC lightweight of all time? read news >>

UFC 223's Max Holloway wants to be 2-division champ – because he'll actually defend both

Max Holloway plans to defend the UFC lightweight and featherweight belts if he wins at UFC 223. Something the first “champ champ” didn’t do. read news >>

Dana White Strips Conor McGregor of UFC Lightweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

During the UFC 223 Pre-fight Press Conference on Wednesday, UFC president Dana White made it official. Conor McGregor has been stripped of his lightweight belt. read news >>

Dana White Gives Update on Conor McGregor's UFC Return at UFC 223 Presser

Conor McGregor's absence from the UFC lightweight title picture alongside the uncertain futures of interim champion Tony Ferguson and top contender Khabib Nurmagomedov caused the lightweight division read news >>

Unfiltered: Dana White Talks UFC 223 and Brian Ortega Joins In-Studio

UFC President Dana White joins the show and discusses UFC 223: Khabib vs. Holloway, Tony Ferguson's injury, Conor McGregor & more. Also, #1 UFC Featherweight Brian Ortega joins Jim and Matt in-studio read news >>

Dana White Discusses CM Punk's Next Opponent, Conor McGregor Calling Him 'C--t'

UFC president Dana White spoke to TMZ Sports about CM Punk's likely opponent for his next fight and addressed recent comments directed to him by Conor McGregor... read news >>

Search for: