#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

erick-silva-10.jpgFORTALEZA, Brazil – While 28-year-old Brazilian Erick Silva (15-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) is officially just 3-2 in the UFC, his immense talent and explosive fighting style have made him a star in his native country. So much so, it seems, that Silva is forced to ask people to have patience in his run to the top.

“I think it’s still too soon,” Silva said at Saturday’s post UFC on FUEL TV 10 press conference when asked if he was looking for a title shot. “I’m not very worried about a title fight right now. To be honest, I’m not all worried about that. The only thing I want to do is to do my work.

“As I’ve mentioned, I only focus on my next fight. I’m going to go home now, I’m going to rest, I’m going to have one week, two weeks off, and then I’m going to start working out again. I’ll just wait for the UFC to schedule my next fight, and when they do, I’m going to focus on it.”

Silva competed on the main card of Saturday night’s UFC on FUEL TV 10 event at Paulo Sarasate Arena in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil. Facing an always-tough Jason High (16-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC), Silva needed just 71 seconds to stuff a takedown, transition to his opponent’s back and lock in a beautiful triangle-armbar that earned a tap.

The move was good enough to earn Silva an additional $50,000 for the evening’s “Submission of the Night,” an accomplishment made all the more special by the incredible eight tapout victories that occurred on the card.

Silva is now officially 2-2 in the UFC, though his first loss was a controversial disqualification result in a UFC 142 fight with Carlo Prater. He’s also banked three-consecutive performance bonuses with a pair of “Submission of the Night” wins book-ending a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jon Fitch.

Silva is now considered by many to be one of the brightest prospects in the sport at 170 pounds, but he insists he’s not interested in challenging for the title anytime soon. Instead, he said he would prefer to continue building his reputation and experience while preparing for a lengthy championship run rather than just a shot at the belt.

“If I could do 20 fights before the belt, I’d do 20 fights before the belt because when I go for the belt, I want to have a lot of experience,” Silva said. “I want to have a lot of knowledge.

“Definitely, when I go for the title, I want to have it on my waist. But that’s not part of my plans, not at all, right now.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FUEL TV 10, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Video: UFC 215, UFC 216 media day face-offs, where Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee get heated

The UFC today hosted a media event to promote September’s UFC 216 and October’s UFC 217 fight cards, which feature three championship bouts in total. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Johnson vs. Borg, Nunes vs. Shevchenko Face Off Ahead of Double Title Fight at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Two titles will go up for grabs at UFC 215 as Demetrious Johnson takes on Ray Borg and Amanda Nunes faces Valentina Shevchenko after they were originally scheduled to meet in July. On Thursday, all f read news >>

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee Engage in Heated Face Off Ahead of UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee had to be separated by UFC president Dana White on Thursday after a heated face off during a media day in Las Vegas. Ferguson will face Lee to crown a new interim lightwei read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White More Nervous About Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather Than Any Other Fight Ever | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White is more nervous about Conor McGregor's boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. than any other fight... ever. read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Latest Fight Lines for Money vs. Notorious

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will come out of retirement to face UFC superstar Conor McGregor in a boxing megafight in Las Vegas on Saturday. Notorious is switching fight codes and will make his professional read news >>

Conor McGregor Nutritionist Says He'll Have No Trouble Making Weight

Conor McGregor's nutritionist said Thursday that the UFC Lightweight champion will have no problem making weight Friday for his 154-pound boxing clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday. According read news >>

Conor McGregor: 'Essentially, I Am Representing the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor talks about his training at the UFC Performance Institute days before his boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. read news >>