#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

edwin-figueroa-1.jpgBefore he engaged in a rock ‘em, sock ‘em slugfest with Francisco Rivera at UFC 156, Edwin Figueroa said he did the worst thing a fighter can do.

He got complacent.

Figueroa, who fought recent bantamweight title challenger Michael McDonald to a unanimous decision that earned “Fight of the Night” honors, rebounded from that UFC-debut loss with back-to-back wins over Jason Reinhardt and Alex Caceres.

But then came the fight with Rivera. Figueroa knocked him down early and had the upper hand, but Rivera stormed back in the second round and delivered Figueroa a TKO loss. The fight narrowly lost out on “Fight of the Night” honors (to the Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar headliner), and despite the defeat, Figueroa was congratulated for his work. But he didn’t want to hear the praise.

“There were a lot of things that went wrong during the last fight,” he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “The weight cut wasn’t that good. I took a year off due to back-to-back injuries. And honestly, I just got too comfortable.

“Like they always say, I did the worst thing a fighter can do. I got too civilized and too comfortable. I kind of lost the hunger, and I could feel it. I’m not proud of it.”

Figueroa (9-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) said that won’t be the case tonight when he meets Canadian 135-pounder Roland Delorme (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at UFC 161. The fight takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre and kicks off the night’s FX-televised prelims, which precede the pay-per-view main card.

After sorting through personal issues and getting his camp in order under trainer Allen Mohler, Figueroa feels reborn. Despite the competitive fight with Rivera, he said he never really felt the fire in his belly or that things were clicking.

“I honestly felt like I entered that fight going 50 percent,” he said. “I just wasn’t there. … Even after I dropped him in the first round, it took two or three seconds for it to even register.”

This time, though?

“I’ve got the hunger back,” he said. “I’ve got my edge back. So now I’m going to come back like I used to come out, like I did for the McDonald fight, the Reinhardt fight, the Caceres fight. I’m ready to go in there like a normally do.”

In past years, Figueroa may have felt he wasn’t prepared for a fight unless he pushed his body to the edge. He said overtraining was a serious issue, which simply led to injuries, frustration and a loss of motivation. He wants to stay busy and fight three of four times this year.

To do that, he’s gotten smarter in camp and learned a valuable lesson.

“Just because I’m not laying on the ground dying for air after a workout doesn’t mean I’m not training right,” he said.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Comments

Nick Hein out at UFC-Rotterdam, promotion seeks featherweight foe for Zabit Magomedsharipov

Injury has forced German fighter Nick Hein out of next week’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in Rotterdam, and company officials are currently seeking a replacement opponent for Zabit Magomedsharipov.File read news >>

Francis Ngannou 'lost' after UFC 215 fight scratch, knows suitable replacement unlikely

Francis Ngannou is disappointed with the current state of his career after losing out on a big-fight opportunity at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2516 with Ricardo Lamas and Frank Trigg

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with Ricardo Lamas and Frank Trigg.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Matt Hughes Already Back on the Mats Just Two Months After Serious Car Accident | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes has been steadily improving since being involved in a serious accident just two months ago after his truck collided with an oncoming train in Illinois. Th read news >>

Conor McGregor Gets His Final Rounds of Sparring On (Mayweather vs. McGregor Vlog) | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 2 of Mayweather vs. McGregor Embedded, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor enjoyis another hard sparring session in the boxing ring. read news >>

Welterweight bout between Court McGee and Sean Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 120

Nov. 11’s UFC Fight Night 120, which takes place in Norfolk, Va., continues to take shape with a bout between two welterweights looking for octagon recovery.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Felice Herrig faces Cortney Casey at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

Top 10 ranked strawweight contender Felice Herrig will make her return to action when she faces Cortney Case at UFC 218 scheduled on Dec. 2 in Detroit. Herrig made the announcement via her Instagram read news >>

What has Conor McGregor accomplished in UFC prior to Floyd Mayweather? These are the facts

As Conor McGregor prepares to enter the ring vs. Floyd Mayweather with a clean slate, look back at everything he’s accomplished in the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

From scary accident to coma to rolling, UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes is back on the mat

Amazing video of Matt Hughes rolling on the mats with his friend is a testament to the UFC Hall of Famer’s resiliency.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones notified of potential doping violation in wake of UFC 214 title win

Jon Jones was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of a potential failed test, his third overall.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>