#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

Mir drives home the knee to Nelson's head

Mir drives home the knee to Nelson's head

Frank Mir destorys Roy Nelson at UFC 130.

Former two-time UFC heavyweight titleholder Frank Mir dominated Roy Nelson in every aspect of their UFC 130 match up on Saturday, winning by unanimous decision.

Nelson initiated the clinch early in the first round. Mir fended off the early takedown attempts and delivered several knees to the head of Nelson inside the clinch.

In the closing minute of the first round, Mir executed a throw that put Nelson on his back. Mir proceeded to mount Nelson before “Big Country” escaped back to his feet.

As the fight wore on, it became more and more one-sided. Mir secured two takedowns in the second stanza and continued to dominate the fight.

Fatigue set in on Nelson during the second round. He took deep breaths and launched winging right hands hoping one would find its mark.

In the final round, Mir used wrestling to repeatedly take Nelson to the canvas. Nelson displayed his heart by getting up each time, but only to be put on his back again.

It was an easy fight for the judges to score and all saw it unanimously for Frank Mir.

“I trained with too many smaller guys for this camp and I paid for it tonight,” Nelson said after the loss. “His wrestling was something I wasn’t expecting and I just got tired. I’m looking forward to getting my gym time back so that I can work on getting bigger and stronger.”

“Wrestling was my main focus in this camp and I think it worked out well for me tonight,” Mir said following the win. “I’d rate my performance as a seven (out of 10). I expected to win the grappling aspect. It went even better than I had a planned. I felt like I was able to win in every aspect of the fight. Roy is really tough and I’m glad to leave here with the win.”

“Keep getting better, keep improving,” said Mir about what is next for him.  “Fight for the belt again.  It’s every fighters’ dream.”

Galleries

Roy Nelson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC-Rotterdam results: Aleksandar Rakic dominates Francimar Barroso over 15 minutes

Aleksandar Rakic needed three full rounds in his UFC debut, but the result was undeniable.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Dominates Gilbert Melendez (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

No. 8 ranked featherweight Jeremy Stephens kicked off the UFC 215 main card with a dominating performance against former lightweight title challenger Gilbert Melendez. Stephens' leg kicks were the st read news >>

Bellator's Roy Nelson got tired of UFC politics: Their title belts 'don't mean (expletive)'

As he starts off a new run in a new home, Roy Nelson already has his sights on the one accolade that eluded him in the UFC: a title belt.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Watch Alexander Volkov's One-Sided Win Over Roy Nelson (UFC Rotterdam Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Alexander Volkov's one-sided win over Roy Nelson. read news >>

Rick Glenn Dominates En Route to a Unanimous Decision (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Rick Glenn put on an absolute clinic against a game Gavin Tucker to get his 20th professional win! #UFC215 — FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) September 10, 2017 (Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may read news >>

Ketlen Vieira Beats Sara McMann at Her Own Game (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Ketlen Vieira's upset of Sara McMann at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. read news >>

UFC 215 results: Vicious Jeremy Stephens low kicks destroy Gilbert Melendez

Gilbert Melendez once again proved his durability in the cage, but he’d probably just as soon forget all about his featherweight debut against Jeremy Stephens.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Talita Oliveira not above UFC jitters ahead of last-minute debut: 'I'll be extremely stressed'

Despite a last-minute call to meet Marion Reneau in Rotterdam, Brazil’s Talita de Oliveira was “euphoric” to hear she’d made it to the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sure, UFC's Marion Reneau will retire eventually – but on her own terms and timeline

UFC bantamweight Marion Reneau is not setting timeframes for her MMA retirement just yet since “40 is the new 20. Let’s just roll with that.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Dodson Announces His Fight Against Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night in Virginia | MMAWeekly.com

A bantamweight scrap has been added to the UFC card in Norfolk, VA on Nov. 11 read news >>