#UFC 220 #Stipe Miocic #Francis Ngannou #Bellator MMA #Daniel Cormier #Volkan Oezdemir #Rory MacDonald #Douglas Lima #Chael Sonnen #Quinton Jackson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Conor McGregor #Cyborg vs. Holm

Sweden's Herdem Alacabek Looks to Follow Alexander Gustafsson's Example Starting at LFA 13 | MMAWeekly.com

It’s been two years since Swedish light-heavyweight prospect Herdem Alacabek last fought and much has changed. After moving to the United States, Alacabek spent time training with American Top Team in Florida before re-settling in California. Now finally Alacabek is ready to get back to fighting.

“The amount of work I’ve put in, the people I’ve sparred with, the amount of knowledge that has been passed around, it is inevitable for me to develop with this amount of work,” Alacabek told MMAWeekly.com. “I’ve been training a lot and I’ve been developing. I have ups and downs, but I’ve kept doing it, I’ve kept on.”

Alacabek notes that there are some differences he’s experienced in training in America as opposed to his native Sweden, but both places have been instrumental in shaping who he is as a fighter.

“The main thing that I’ve picked up over here is elbow strikes and stuff like that,” said Alacabek. “The wrestling here is a little different than in Sweden. But other than that, Sweden has a very good scene for MMA.

“(Sweden has) very good fighters there and a big interest for it. A lot of people come from over Europe to go there to train. But for me, taking the right steps forward in my life, it was the right step for me to come and live in the US.”

While Alacabek feels that he and fellow Swedish light-heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson do have a lot of similarities, and that Gustafsson is a great example to follow, both men have their own path in MMA.

“I have great respect for Alexander Gustafsson,” Alacabek said. “You can’t deny that Gustafsson brought the UFC to Sweden. He opened a lot of doors for a lot of the fighters in Sweden, so you have to be grateful for that.

“He showed a way that if you train hard and you fight and believe in yourself, you can get somewhere in MMA. Everybody lives their own lives. I live my life, and he lives his, but if I can reach the point he has in his career, I’d be happy.”

On Friday in Burbank, Calif., Alacabek (2-0) will look to make a successful return to MMA when he takes on Joao Antonio Arroyo (4-1) in a main card 205-pound at Legacy Fighting Alliance 13.

“I believe it is going to be good competition,” said Alacabek. “Our experience in the cage is still pretty fresh for us. It will be a good way for me to prove myself and see my development inside the cage. Sure, training is always good, but you’ve got to do it in the cage as well.

“For me to win I believe I have to work harder than my opponent, and if an opportunity comes for the finish, I’ve got to take it.”

From here, Alacabek looks to establish himself and eventually work his way to the biggest stage in MMA.

“My long term goal is to reach the UFC and compete in the UFC with great success, but life is very uncertain,” Alacabek said. “In the short term, I take it one step at a time, one fight at a time and just try to enjoy myself along the journey.”

Galleries

Alexander Gustafsson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Top Prospect Mackenzie Dern Draws Ashley Yoder at UFC 222 in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

Mackenzie Dern is ready to make her Octagon debut. The top rated prospect and multi-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu champion is expected to face Ashley Yoder at UFC 222 in Las Vegas on Mar. 3. Sources close read news >>

Invicta Champ Yana Kunitskaya to Make UFC Debut Opposite Sara McMann | MMAWeekly.com

Invicta FC bantamweight champion Yana Kunitskaya is ready to leave her belt behind and make the leap to the UFC Octagon. read news >>

Rampage Drops a $10K Bet on Chael Sonnen (Bellator 192 Countdown: Episode 1) | MMAWeekly.com

The countdown to Bellator 192 is on. Follow Rampage Jackson? and Chael Sonnen as they prepare to kick off the Heavyweight World Grand Prix. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Wants to Make Doo Ho Choi 'Quit on the Stool and Say No Mas' | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens can enjoy a fight and still be critical of the performances from the fighters involved in the matchup. Like just about everybody else, Stephens loved watching the slugfest between Cub read news >>

UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou Full Results and Live Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 6:30 pm ET / 3:30 pm PT on Saturday, Jan. 30. read news >>

Joey Davis: 'I Can Do Anything I Want' Against Ian Butler at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Joey Davis (2-0) will look to keep his undefeated streak going when he faces Ian Butler (3-3) in a preliminary 170-pounf bout at Bellator 192 on January 20. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Breaks Down His UFC 220 Title Fight Against Volkan Oezdemir | MMAWeekly.com

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is ready to make a statement when he faces off against Volkan Oezdemir in the UFC 220 co-main event. read news >>

Anderson Silva Adamant He Never Used Steroids, Plans to Make UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva may be facing his second anti-doping violation case, but he is adamant that he has never used steroids. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 124: Stephens vs. Choi Full Results and Live Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC Fight Night St. Louis: Stephens vs. Choi full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 6 pm ET / 3 pm PT on Sunday. read news >>

Dana White: Tyron Woodley vs. Rafael dos Anjos is 'the fight to make' | MMAWeekly.com

It looks like Rafael dos Anjos is going to get the next crack at welterweight champion Tyron Woodley. UFC president Dana White revealed on Sunday night following the first card of 2018 that he antici read news >>