#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #UFC Fight Night 57 #Conor McGregor #Anthony Ferguson #UFC 223

Sweden's Herdem Alacabek Looks to Follow Alexander Gustafsson's Example Starting at LFA 13 | MMAWeekly.com

It’s been two years since Swedish light-heavyweight prospect Herdem Alacabek last fought and much has changed. After moving to the United States, Alacabek spent time training with American Top Team in Florida before re-settling in California. Now finally Alacabek is ready to get back to fighting.

“The amount of work I’ve put in, the people I’ve sparred with, the amount of knowledge that has been passed around, it is inevitable for me to develop with this amount of work,” Alacabek told MMAWeekly.com. “I’ve been training a lot and I’ve been developing. I have ups and downs, but I’ve kept doing it, I’ve kept on.”

Alacabek notes that there are some differences he’s experienced in training in America as opposed to his native Sweden, but both places have been instrumental in shaping who he is as a fighter.

“The main thing that I’ve picked up over here is elbow strikes and stuff like that,” said Alacabek. “The wrestling here is a little different than in Sweden. But other than that, Sweden has a very good scene for MMA.

“(Sweden has) very good fighters there and a big interest for it. A lot of people come from over Europe to go there to train. But for me, taking the right steps forward in my life, it was the right step for me to come and live in the US.”

While Alacabek feels that he and fellow Swedish light-heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson do have a lot of similarities, and that Gustafsson is a great example to follow, both men have their own path in MMA.

“I have great respect for Alexander Gustafsson,” Alacabek said. “You can’t deny that Gustafsson brought the UFC to Sweden. He opened a lot of doors for a lot of the fighters in Sweden, so you have to be grateful for that.

“He showed a way that if you train hard and you fight and believe in yourself, you can get somewhere in MMA. Everybody lives their own lives. I live my life, and he lives his, but if I can reach the point he has in his career, I’d be happy.”

On Friday in Burbank, Calif., Alacabek (2-0) will look to make a successful return to MMA when he takes on Joao Antonio Arroyo (4-1) in a main card 205-pound at Legacy Fighting Alliance 13.

“I believe it is going to be good competition,” said Alacabek. “Our experience in the cage is still pretty fresh for us. It will be a good way for me to prove myself and see my development inside the cage. Sure, training is always good, but you’ve got to do it in the cage as well.

“For me to win I believe I have to work harder than my opponent, and if an opportunity comes for the finish, I’ve got to take it.”

From here, Alacabek looks to establish himself and eventually work his way to the biggest stage in MMA.

“My long term goal is to reach the UFC and compete in the UFC with great success, but life is very uncertain,” Alacabek said. “In the short term, I take it one step at a time, one fight at a time and just try to enjoy myself along the journey.”

Galleries

Alexander Gustafsson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Alexander Gustafsson Says Defeating Jon Jones is 'Bigger' Than Winning UFC Title | MMAWeekly.com

No one has come closer to handing Jon Jones a legitimate defeat during his career than Alexander Gustafsson when they met back in 2013. Gustafsson came up just short that night but he pushed Jones to read news >>

Report: ESPN and FOX Sports Team Up to Make Joint Bid on UFC Television Rights | MMAWeekly.com

ESPN and FOX are reportedly teaming up to make a bid to obtained a split package of the UFC's television rights beginning in 2019. According to a report from Variety, ESPN and FOX have agreed to spli read news >>

Daniel Cormier and Alexander Gustafsson Have One of the Most Awkward Interviews Ever | MMAWeekly.com

? (Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Should active fighters – especially active fighters that compete in the same division – be interviewing each read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson Inks 'Biggest Deal of His Career' with UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson has inked a new UFC deal. "The Mauler" broke the news on Tuesday via Instagram. read news >>

Kevin Lee: 'I'm The Future of the Lightweight Division' | MMAWeekly.com

No. 7-ranked lightweight Kevin Lee is ready to make a comeback after a disappointing loss to Tony Ferguson last time out. read news >>

Ronda Rousey on Floyd Mayweather Crossing Over to UFC: 'That Will Never Happen' | MMAWeekly.com

For all the talk about Floyd Mayweather crossing over into mixed martial arts, former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey isn't buying it. Rousey, who has a long history engaging in a war read news >>

Rose Namajunas: Exclusive UFC 223 Extended Video Interview | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of her UFC 223 rematch with Joanna Jedrzejczyk, UFC strawweight champion Rose Namajunas sat down for an extended, exclusive interview with MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Evan Dunham: 'We'll See Conor McGregor Back This Year' | MMAWeekly.com

No. 14 ranked lightweight Evan Dunham believes champion Conor McGregor will be back in the octagon this year. read news >>

Just 2-0 as pro, Bellator's Tywan Claxton already wants McKee, Pico, Gallagher or Freire

Tywan Claxton has made an impression with back-to-back finishes to kick off his Bellator run, but he’s eager to show there’s more where that came from. read news >>

Michael Chiesa Fires Back at Critics of Ronda Rousey After She Left the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Chiesa fully supports Ronda Rousey's decision to change career as she leaves the UFC and embarks on a new journey as part of World Wrestling Entertainment. In fact, Chiesa was ringside the ni read news >>

Nick Newell Would Gladly Accept 'Easy Money' Fight Against Floyd Mayweather | MMAWeekly.com

If Floyd Mayweather is serious about pursuing a mixed martial arts fight, Nick Newell would be more than happy to welcome him to the Octagon. The 14-1 lightweight contender has been pushing for a sho read news >>

Lyoto Machida Honored To Be Vitor Belfort's Last Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Former light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort was set to fight for the last time on January 18 against Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night 124 but Hall was forced out of the bout they day before the even read news >>

LFA 39 to Crown Interim Middleweight Champion in Vail, Colorado | MMAWeekly.com

Legacy Fighting Alliance is taking the show deep into the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, as LFA 39 will crown an interim middleweight champion in the ski resort town of Vail. read news >>

Amanda Nunes and Raquel Pennington Put Friendship Aside for UFC 224 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and her UFC 224 challenger Raquel Pennington are friends, but that isn't going to get in the way of their goals. read news >>

Watch Tony Ferguson and Rafael Dos Anjos Go to War (UFC 223 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

On Nov. 5, 2016, former UFC lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos faced Tony Ferguson in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale in Mexico City. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Explains Floyd Mayweather's Route to UFC Success | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley recently spoke at length about how he could prepare Floyd Mayweather for a successful trip to the UFC Octagon. read news >>

Search for: