#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

It’s been two years since Swedish light-heavyweight prospect Herdem Alacabek last fought and much has changed. After moving to the United States, Alacabek spent time training with American Top Team in Florida before re-settling in California. Now finally Alacabek is ready to get back to fighting.

“The amount of work I’ve put in, the people I’ve sparred with, the amount of knowledge that has been passed around, it is inevitable for me to develop with this amount of work,” Alacabek told MMAWeekly.com. “I’ve been training a lot and I’ve been developing. I have ups and downs, but I’ve kept doing it, I’ve kept on.”

Alacabek notes that there are some differences he’s experienced in training in America as opposed to his native Sweden, but both places have been instrumental in shaping who he is as a fighter.

“The main thing that I’ve picked up over here is elbow strikes and stuff like that,” said Alacabek. “The wrestling here is a little different than in Sweden. But other than that, Sweden has a very good scene for MMA.

“(Sweden has) very good fighters there and a big interest for it. A lot of people come from over Europe to go there to train. But for me, taking the right steps forward in my life, it was the right step for me to come and live in the US.”

While Alacabek feels that he and fellow Swedish light-heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson do have a lot of similarities, and that Gustafsson is a great example to follow, both men have their own path in MMA.

“I have great respect for Alexander Gustafsson,” Alacabek said. “You can’t deny that Gustafsson brought the UFC to Sweden. He opened a lot of doors for a lot of the fighters in Sweden, so you have to be grateful for that.

“He showed a way that if you train hard and you fight and believe in yourself, you can get somewhere in MMA. Everybody lives their own lives. I live my life, and he lives his, but if I can reach the point he has in his career, I’d be happy.”

On Friday in Burbank, Calif., Alacabek (2-0) will look to make a successful return to MMA when he takes on Joao Antonio Arroyo (4-1) in a main card 205-pound at Legacy Fighting Alliance 13.

“I believe it is going to be good competition,” said Alacabek. “Our experience in the cage is still pretty fresh for us. It will be a good way for me to prove myself and see my development inside the cage. Sure, training is always good, but you’ve got to do it in the cage as well.

“For me to win I believe I have to work harder than my opponent, and if an opportunity comes for the finish, I’ve got to take it.”

From here, Alacabek looks to establish himself and eventually work his way to the biggest stage in MMA.

“My long term goal is to reach the UFC and compete in the UFC with great success, but life is very uncertain,” Alacabek said. “In the short term, I take it one step at a time, one fight at a time and just try to enjoy myself along the journey.”

Galleries

Alexander Gustafsson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 119: Brunson vs. Machida Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC Fight Night 119: Brunson vs. Machida full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 7 pm ET / 4 pm PT on Saturday, Oct. 28. read news >>

TJ Dillashaw: 'I'm Going to Make Cody Garbrandt Give Up' | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champ T.J. Dillashaw will try to recapture what was once his when he faces champion Cody Garbrandt in the UFC 217 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 127 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Fight Night 127 Date: March 17, 2018 Venue: The O2 Arena Location: London, England UFC Fight Night 127 News UFC Fight Night 127 Videos UFC Fight Night 127 Fight Card Follow MMAWeekly.com on Faceb read news >>

UFC Fight Night 126 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Fight Night 126 Date: February 18, 2018 Venue: Frank Erwin Center Location: Austin, TX UFC Fight Night 126 News UFC Fight Night 126 Videos UFC Fight Night 126 Fight Card Follow MMAWeekly.com on F read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Fight Night 125 Date: February 3, 2018 Venue: Arena Guilherme Paraense Location: Belém, Brazil UFC Fight Night 125 News UFC Fight Night 125 Videos UFC Fight Night 125 Fight Card Follow MMAWeekly. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 124 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Fight Night 124 Date: January 14, 2018 Venue: Scottrade Center Location: St. Louis, Missouri UFC Fight Night 124 News UFC Fight Night 124 Videos UFC Fight Night 124 Fight Card Follow MMAWeekly.co read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Raises Doubt About Defending UFC Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre made his successful return to the Octagon at UFC 217. But what comes next? Even St-Pierre doesn't know. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 122: Bisping vs. Gastelum Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC Fight Night 122: Bisping vs. Gastelum full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 3:45 am ET / 12:45 am PT on Nov. 25. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120: Poirier vs. Pettis Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC Fight Night 120: Poirier vs. Pettis full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 6:30 pm ET / 3:30 pm PT on Saturday. read news >>

Scott Coker Determined to Make Michael Page vs. Paul Daley Happen | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator MMA welterweight Michael "Venom" Page recently stated that he'd only take a fight against fellow Englishman Paul "Semtex" Daley if Daley agreed to a winner take all bout agreement. The fight read news >>