#Fabricio Werdum #UFC London #Conor McGregor #UFC 222 #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Alexander Volkov #UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #Tony Ferguson

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

<a href='../fighter/Stefan-Struve'>Stefan Struve</a> punches <a href='../fighter/Stipe-Miocic'>Stipe Miocic</a> during their heavyweight bout in 2012
Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon.

The 29-year-old Dutch standout returns to action Saturday, headlining at home in the Netherlands opposite Alexander Volkov in the midst of a tidy two-fight winning streak that has positioned him as a dark horse contender in the heavyweight ranks. His back-to-back stoppage victories over Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and Daniel Omielanczuk not only put his name back in title talks, but they also affirmed to Struve that he made the right decision to continue chasing his dreams when the opportunity to walk away presented itself several years earlier.

With the never-ending crush of events and flood of stories this sport produces, it’s easy to forget that there was a time when the talented “Skyscraper” was forced to put his career on hold. Diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve (BAV), Struve went more than a year without fighting as doctors worked to find the right medication to treat his condition and allow him to return to competition.

“I keep saying this to people because people easily forget – I fought my entire career with a heart defect and I’ve got a pretty decent record and I’ve got some pretty big name wins in there,” said Struve, who remains the only man to stop current heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic. “My heart is at its best now – the best it has ever been – but a big part of my career, I was fighting with 30-40 percent missing output in my heart and doing well.”

Even when he was cleared to return, hurdles remained.

He passed out in the dressing room prior to his comeback bout against Matt Mitrione at UFC 175. Five months later, he entered the Octagon again, but was quickly dispatched by his countryman Alistair Overeem. Physically, Struve was ready to compete, but mentally, he wasn’t there.

“My head wasn’t where it should be for fighting,” said Struve, reflecting on the December 2014 contest in Phoenix. “It was more feeling out my body in there, being tentative and going back to what happened a couple months before that with the Mitrione fight. You’re thinking about things you shouldn’t be thinking about when you’re fighting, simple as that.”

He rebounded with a win the following summer, venturing to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to defeat Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in what would be the final fight of the Brazilian legend’s illustrious career, but followed it up with a hesitant showing in a loss to Jared Rosholt three months later in Australia.

RELATED CONTENT: UFC Breakdown - Volkov vs Struve | Reneau shifts attention to Bernardo | On the Rise: Rotterdam Edition | Green still on 'cloud nine'

He was healthy, but he wasn’t fighting up to his abilities, and with three losses in his last four bouts, Struve entered his first fight of 2016 believing another setback could have resulted in a conversation about his future plans with the UFC brass.

“In my opinion, I was fighting for one of my last chances in the UFC,” he said of his meeting with Silva last spring inside the same arena where he will face Volkov on Saturday. “If I would have lost that fight, there was a good possibility that the UFC could have come to me and said, ‘Are you sure you want to keep doing this, because it hasn’t really been working for you?’”

Adjustments in training camp ensured the conversation with the UFC brass never happened, as Struve listened to his coaches’ call for greater aggression and finished the Brazilian veteran in just 16 seconds, thrilling his compatriots in attendance and collecting a Performance of the Night bonus for his efforts.

“I showed that I still belong here,” said Struve of his performance during his previous trip to Rotterdam.

A year after feeling like his back was against the wall, he returns to the Ahoy Rotterdam on an impressive two-fight winning streak, stationed at No. 8 in the heavyweight rankings, and as the final man to make the walk to the Octagon on Saturday night.

“It’s another great opportunity,” he said of the chance to main event this weekend’s fight card. “It’s another reason I’m happy I decided to make a comeback when things weren’t looking good for me. I love Holland, I love the people there, they love me and it’s going to be a great fight. It’s another huge step in my career.”

A career filled with entertaining fights that was almost cut short.

A career that was almost abandoned.

A career where the best may be yet to come.

“I definitely feel I’m the best that I’ve ever been,” said Struve. “I was doing good with the skill that I had mostly because I always came to fight, no matter who it was against. Guys were physically much stronger, but I fought very hard, had a really good mindset and guys would try to put me away and I would come back and put them away.

“I always come to perform and give the fans their money’s worth and I’m going to put on an impressive performance in Rotterdam and that’s going to put me right where I belong.

“I believe that when I’m firing at 100 percent, physically and mentally, I’m one of the best heavyweights in the world,” he added. “My best years are still coming.”

Watch Past Fights

Stefan Struve Fights

• 6 months ago

After five straight losses, ex-UFC champ Andrei Arlovski finally started listening

Andrei Arlovski’s career has stretched decades, but during his most recent fight, he heard something he hadn’t in a long time: his cornerman. read news >>

Why – 15 fights into UFC career – Brad Tavares is still volunteering for short-notice bouts

The meetings with Ronaldo Souza, Vitor Belfort and Michael Bisping didn’t happen, but it wasn’t for lack of trying on Brad Tavares’ end. read news >>

Tom Duquesnoy took 'what doesn't kill you, makes you better' mentality on first UFC loss

• 3 hours ago

Tom Duquesnoy is taking the first loss of his UFC career in a positive manner going into his bout with Terrion Ware. read news >>

UFC's Jimmie Rivera on what it takes to go 20 fights without a loss

Jimmie Rivera is part of an exclusive group under the UFC banner – one that includes only himself, Khabib Nurmagomedov and Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Confident in His MMA Skills, Believes UFC Deal Will Happen | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Floyd Mayweather sounds awfully confident that he will be fighting in the UFC sooner rather than later. The 41-year old retired boxer has been teasing a crossover into mixed martial arts for several read news >>

After emotional rollercoaster, John Phillips ready to make long-awaited UFC debut in London

• a day ago

Welsh knockout artist John Phillips finally is a UFC fighter, and he can’t wait to jump into the octagon for the first time. read news >>

UFC London Weigh-in Video: Fabricio Werdum Gets Early Start on Pro Wrestling Career

• 11 hours ago

Watch as the UFC Fight Night 127: Werdum vs. Volkov fighters step on the scale and then square off in London, as Fabricio Werdum wields a chair. read news >>

Narimani steps up to face Haqparast in London

With Alex Reyes forced out of his UFC London bout against Nasrat Haqparast due to injury, Bristol's Nad Narimani has agreed to step in to make his UFC debut against Haqparast this Saturday at the O2 read news >>

Unfiltered: Rose Namajunas, Matt Serra & Phoenix Carnevale

• a day ago

Rose Namajunas Is on a Mission to Change the World, Matt Serra Gets His UFC Fight Night London Picks in from the Road, and Phoenix Carnevale Co-Hosts read news >>

Beneil Dariush addresses career 'drought,' controversial Alexander Hernandez opening at UFC 222

• a day ago

Beneil Dariush isn’t prepared to label Alexander Hernandez a dirty fighter following some questionable fight-opening tactics at UFC 222. read news >>

UFC 223 bout order set with two title fights, Paul Felder-Al Iaquinta opener on pay-per-view

The bout order is set for the UFC’s return to Brooklyn in April, though the lineup may still be in flux. read news >>

FOX Sports Set to Countdown UFC's Top 25 Greatest Fights | MMAWeekly.com

There have been 432 Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) events with more than 4,500 fights total. So, which fights are the best ever? read news >>

Nick Newell deserves his UFC shot, but what will it take?

At some point, the UFC denying congenital amputee Nick Newell an opportunity just starts to look like plain old discrimination. read news >>

Stevie Ray Found Out the Hard Way that Free Agency Doesn't Work For Everybody | MMAWeekly.com

Stevie Ray speaks about fighting out his UFC contract in hopes of flourishing in free agency but the plan backfired and left him sidelines for most of 2017 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 127 Preview: 3 Can't-Miss Fights

Time to fire up the Fight Pass. It's UFC Fight Night 127, going down Saturday, March 17—St. Patrick's Day!—from London, England. Hope you didn't have any March Madness plans, because the action gets read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Earns Unanimous Decision Over Stefan Struve at UFC 222 | MMAWeekly.com

It wasn't the most exciting fight in history but Andrei Arlovski still did enough over three rounds to get a win over Stefan Struve at UFC 222. read news >>

Search for: