#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #GGG

For the past three years, Tarec Saffiedine has been waiting to earn his shot at the Strikeforce welterweight title, and last Saturday not only did he get the chance but he seized the moment with a dominant five round decision victory over Nate Marquardt.

In the cage after being handed the belt, Saffiedine finally let out all of the emotion he stored up over the last few years showing that hard work really can pay off.

Now just days removed from the victory, the Belgium born fighter is still in a daze from the experience and hasn’t quite come down from the high of victory yet.

“It’s still pretty amazing. I haven’t slept yet, it’s been two days. I still have a lot of emotion going through my mind, still kind of hard to realize where I’m at today with the belt, with Strikeforce being gone and everything. I believe in a couple of days I will wake up from that dream and realize that everything has really happened,” Saffiedine told MMAWeekly Radio after the win.

Going into the fight, Saffiedine was a decided underdog to Nate Marquardt, and all fight week long all anybody could talk about was his opponent moving back to the UFC. Who would Marquardt face in the UFC welterweight division? Would he fight his friend Georges St-Pierre?

Every question except how he planned on getting past Tarec Saffiedine, and the Team Quest fighter was paying close attention.

“Maybe some people were underrating me and the odds were against me, and all the talk about Nate going to the UFC, but that motivated me. I wanted to prove everybody was wrong, and I was well prepared,” said Saffiedine.

Now with the biggest win of his career behind him, Saffiedine can start to look forward to what appears to be a very bright future.

As of Monday, Saffiedine still hadn’t received a call or official offer from the UFC, but he’s hoping to get that news in the coming days.

“I haven’t had any paperwork or any call or an email from my manager, so I cannot say 100-percent (I’ll be in the UFC),” Saffiedine revealed.

Of course his hope is to end up in the UFC and Saffiedine is targeting any potential top ten opponent when he finally gets his chance to compete there. Just like his dream three years ago of becoming champion, Saffiedine has a new vision in mind and a goal of becoming one of the best welterweights in the UFC.

“There’s so many tough and good guys in the UFC, and I would love to fight with any of those guys,” said Saffiedine. “As far as somebody in particular I don’t even know what’s going to be next, but it’s definitely something that I’m looking forward to in my career and facing some of the top ten guys.”

(photo by Ester Lin – Showtime/Strikeforce)

Comments

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

• a day ago

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

• 31 minutes ago

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117's Ovince Saint Preux didn't blink at switch to Yushin Okami

• 23 hours ago

Ovince Saint Preux’s first thought when he heard he’d be fighting Yushin Okami at UFC Fight Night 117 was something like, “Oh yeah, that guy.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor Could Address US Congress over MMA Fighters' Rights

• 23 hours ago

After making his boxing debut, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor may appear before the United States Congress in an effort to expand the protection of rights afforded to mixed martial arts figh read news >>

Video replay: Today's UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-ins in Japan

• 22 hours ago

Check out a replay of the UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-ins, which took place today in Tokyo.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mizuto Hirota missed weight for UFC-Japan – and it was pretty scary

• 22 hours ago

Mizuto Hirota was the last fighter to weigh in today for UFC Fight Night 117, and once he finally made it to the scale, it wasn’t pretty.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC Fight Night 117, including a time to shine for a few unheralded fighters

• 22 hours ago

The UFC hosts a rare Friday card with UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan. It’s not the most stacked lineup, but a few unheralded fighters have a chance to shine.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Bisping: Rockhold should 'claw' way back up by fighting Weidman and 'a couple of bums'

• 21 hours ago

Of course UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping wouldn’t just let ex-champ’s Luke Rockhold’s insults slide.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Main Event Set But One Fighter Misses Weight Badly at UFC Fight Night in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

• 21 hours ago