Jon Jones file photo | Sherdog.com
In light of a knee injury sustained to No. 1 contender Rashad Evans, Jones was offered a chance to step back into the cage in just six weeks to challenge Mauricio “Shogun” Rua for the 205-pound title on March 19 in the main event of UFC 128. Jones immediately accepted the offer, and at the postfight news conference, the blue-chip prospect asserted that he had no problem with taking the fight on such short notice.
“I usually spend my camp getting in shape, but I’m already in shape. [Coach Jackson] wants me to calm down. He said he can't have me peak for six more weeks,” said Jones. “But I’m not taking time off. Maybe physically I'll take some time off, but I have a lot of studying to do. Six weeks is more than enough time, especially since I already have a six pack.”
Jones will step in for a teammate in Evans, who has reportedly done damage to a ligament in his knee.
“It's a sprained ligament,” said UFC president Dana White. “We had him checked out yesterday, and the doctor confirmed today that he couldn't compete. He has to take six to eight weeks off, and he has to wear a brace. Hopefully he doesn't need surgery.”
Though Jones knew about Evans’ injury, according to the fighter he had no idea that he would receive the opportunity to fight the champ.
“I did hear about Rashad being injured, but I had no clue I would get a title shot,” said Jones.
In fact, neither did UFC president Dana White up until a few hours before the event.
“Whenever things like this happen, we have to throw something together. Is Jones even going to win his fight [with Bader]?” explained White. “Actually, right before Jones came out, we told his team, and we told John right after his fight.”
Jones dominated Bader from start to finish, using superior grappling to control the former Arizona State wrestler. “Bones” brought the fight to a close with a nasty guillotine choke in the second frame.
On the horizon, he will face unquestionably the stiffest test of his young career in Rua. A former Pride Fighting Championships phenom, “Shogun” is an explosive striker with knockout power in all four limbs. According to Jones, however, he sees Rua's early successes in Pride as motivation for his own career.
“What I liked about Shogun is he won the Pride [middleweight grand prix] at age 23. That inspires me to be a champion at 23.”
Reader comments are active below. Register an opinion by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.view original article >>
Ryan Bader said he was far less caught off guard than most by the surprise retirement of Anthony Johnson following his UFC 210 title-fight loss to Daniel Cormier last month.Filed under: Bellator, New read news >>
Glover Teixeira started his UFC career winning his first five bouts including this Knockout of the Night victory over Ryan Bader in 2013. read news >>
Marlon Moraes is headed to the UFC, but faced former WEC world champion Miguel Torres at the inaugural WSOF1 on November 3, 2012, in Las Vegas. read news >>
When UFC former owners sold the fight promotion in July 2016 for $4.2 billion to WME–IMG, the promotion's longtime president, Dana White, was distraught. read news >>
Twenty years ago, the sport of MMA was still very much in its infancy. Maurice Smith is the man widely recognized for proving the value of high-level striking in the cage.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>
MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Jake Ellenberger.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Check out the trailer for UFC champ Michael Bisping's latest acting gig, "My Name is Lenny." read news >>
The heavyweight title is back on the line next week in Dallas with a highly anticipated rematch. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Vitor Belfort has unveiled his UFC retirement plan, putting the wraps on a career that has spanned more than two decades. read news >>
At 40 years old, Vitor Belfort is preparing to make his 25th and final trip to the UFC’s famed octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>