#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP #UFC Fight Night 118 #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Felice Herrig

Shah BobonisAfter a seesaw start to his career, Shah Bobonis has managed to pull things together and is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

Bobonis credits his newfound stability to the fact that he’s been able to focus more on fighting after trying to balance it along with a regular career.

“Before the last few years I was trying to work full-time and fight and it was tough,” he said. “Once I made the commitment to fight full-time and now that I’m just fighting it’s made the difference.

“When I was hovering around .500 or just above it, I was fighting when I could around my work schedule and things like that because I loved to compete. When my coaches sat me down and said that I should think about doing this seriously and see how good I could be, I made the decision and it’s worked out so far.”

By dedicating himself to MMA, Bobonis was able to complement his already solid striking with an improving jiu-jitsu game and a wrestling regimen that integrates it more into fighting rather than being a standalone skill.

“About two years ago, I made a commitment to start training with Division-1 wrestlers who also do MMA and I feel my wrestling for MMA is just maybe a notch below my striking, but very, very good,” he said. “I also went out to Alliance and picked up from things from Dominick Cruz. He said he doesn’t have the wrestling credentials of some of the people he fights, but he takes them down at will because his wrestling for MMA is better than theirs.”

Bobonis will get an opportunity to keep his winning streak going on Friday night in Knoxville, Tenn. as he takes on Cornelius Godfrey at XFC 20 live on AXS TV.

“He hasn’t really been a pro that long, but I think he’s going to be good eventually, and at 6-0 I’m sure he thinks he’s a world-beater, but I really feel I’m better than him at every aspect of the game,” said Bobonis. “He hasn’t fought anybody close to my level.

“I think he thinks he’ll have an advantage boxing, but I tend to disagree. I think he does well in MMA because he’s long for 135-pounder and most of the guys he’s fought aren’t very good strikers at all, so just the length gives them problems – that’s not really going to bother me at all. I think wherever the fight goes I’m going to be leaps and bounds better than him.”

Should Bobonis defeat Godfrey, he told MMAWeekly.com that his next goal is to establish himself as the best bantamweight in the XFC and have the promotion bring in top tier talent to challenge him.

“I already talked to (XFC president) John Prisco and he knows my plan,” said Bobonis. “I want a title as soon as possible and then I want him to sign the biggest free agents out there.

“I want to fight guys like Antonio Banuelos or (Hiroyuki) Takaya or (Katsunori) Imanari from Japan, guys like that are recognized internationally and beat them up so I’ll become recognized internationally. With the platform of AXS TV, it’s very feasible that something like that can happen.”

(Photo courtesy of XFC)

Comments

Where does UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson rank his record winning streak?

Demetrious Johnson is on the cusp of UFC history, but you wouldn’t know it by hearing him talk about it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Derrick Lewis Pummel Viktor Pesta to Kick Off Winning Streak (UFC 216 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Derrick Lewis started a six-fight win streak with a victory over Viktor Pesta in his hometown at UFC 192 in 2015. read news >>

UFC 216 pre-event facts: Tony Ferguson looks to extend longest win-streak in lightweight history

Check out 55 facts, figures and footnotes about UFC 216, which features a Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee interim lightweight title main event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Derrick Lewis Says He Is 'Not Focused' Heading into UFC 216 Fight Against Werdum

Derrick Lewis is jovial and entertaining on social media, but when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, Texas, Lewis showed off his heart. And the effects of that storm are still weighing on the UFC heavywe read news >>

Twitter reacts to Darrion Caldwell's title-winning victory over Eduardo Dantas at Bellator 184

See the top Twitter reacts to Darrion Caldwell’s win over Eduardo Dantas in the Bellator 184 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tony Ferguson's UFC 216 interim title-winning submission of Kevin Lee

See the top Twitter reacts to Tony Ferguson’s interim title victory over Kevin Lee in the UFC 216 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fighters React to Tony Ferguson Winning Interim UFC Title | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson became the interim lightweight champion on Saturday by submitting Kevin Lee in the UFC 216 main event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

Bellator 184 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 184 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

UFC 216 reactions: Winning and losing fighters (plus a few who fought to a draw) on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC 216 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mike Perry can't wait to put Santiago Ponzinibbio to sleep at UFC on FOX 26

• a day ago

Mike Perry is focused on using Santiago Ponzinibbio as a spring board for his career but is raring to go this weekend at UFC-Gdansk if needed.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>