#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #UFC 217 #Alistair Overeem #UFC Fight Night 123 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #GSP #Max Holloway

Shah BobonisAfter a seesaw start to his career, Shah Bobonis has managed to pull things together and is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

Bobonis credits his newfound stability to the fact that he’s been able to focus more on fighting after trying to balance it along with a regular career.

“Before the last few years I was trying to work full-time and fight and it was tough,” he said. “Once I made the commitment to fight full-time and now that I’m just fighting it’s made the difference.

“When I was hovering around .500 or just above it, I was fighting when I could around my work schedule and things like that because I loved to compete. When my coaches sat me down and said that I should think about doing this seriously and see how good I could be, I made the decision and it’s worked out so far.”

By dedicating himself to MMA, Bobonis was able to complement his already solid striking with an improving jiu-jitsu game and a wrestling regimen that integrates it more into fighting rather than being a standalone skill.

“About two years ago, I made a commitment to start training with Division-1 wrestlers who also do MMA and I feel my wrestling for MMA is just maybe a notch below my striking, but very, very good,” he said. “I also went out to Alliance and picked up from things from Dominick Cruz. He said he doesn’t have the wrestling credentials of some of the people he fights, but he takes them down at will because his wrestling for MMA is better than theirs.”

Bobonis will get an opportunity to keep his winning streak going on Friday night in Knoxville, Tenn. as he takes on Cornelius Godfrey at XFC 20 live on AXS TV.

“He hasn’t really been a pro that long, but I think he’s going to be good eventually, and at 6-0 I’m sure he thinks he’s a world-beater, but I really feel I’m better than him at every aspect of the game,” said Bobonis. “He hasn’t fought anybody close to my level.

“I think he thinks he’ll have an advantage boxing, but I tend to disagree. I think he does well in MMA because he’s long for 135-pounder and most of the guys he’s fought aren’t very good strikers at all, so just the length gives them problems – that’s not really going to bother me at all. I think wherever the fight goes I’m going to be leaps and bounds better than him.”

Should Bobonis defeat Godfrey, he told MMAWeekly.com that his next goal is to establish himself as the best bantamweight in the XFC and have the promotion bring in top tier talent to challenge him.

“I already talked to (XFC president) John Prisco and he knows my plan,” said Bobonis. “I want a title as soon as possible and then I want him to sign the biggest free agents out there.

“I want to fight guys like Antonio Banuelos or (Hiroyuki) Takaya or (Katsunori) Imanari from Japan, guys like that are recognized internationally and beat them up so I’ll become recognized internationally. With the platform of AXS TV, it’s very feasible that something like that can happen.”

(Photo courtesy of XFC)

Comments

How is ol' man Daniel Kelly dealing with 'massive, massive disappointment'?

After a four-fight winning streak came to an abrupt end, how is 40-year-old Daniel Kelly dealing with the setback? Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Salter Scores Quick Submission to Extend Winning Streak (Bellator 188 Full Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

John Salter extended his winning streak by submitting Jason Radcliffe at Bellator 188 and continues to ascend toward the top of the middleweight division. read news >>

Felice Herrig Maintains Her Winning Streak (UFC 218 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Felice Herrig's fourth consecutive victory, a split-decision nod over Cortney Casey at UFC 218. read news >>

Drakkar Klose is Fighting for His Family at UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

Drakkar Klose (8-0-1) will look to add to his current winning streak when he takes on David Teymur (6-1) at UFC 218 on Saturday in Detroit. read news >>

Hisaki Kato Looking to Knock Chidi Njokuani Out at Bellator 189 | MMAWeekly.com

Hisaki Kato (8-2) will look to add to his winning streak when he takes on Chidi Njokuani (17-5) in a main card 185-pound bout at Bellator 189 on Friday. read news >>

By winning at TUF 26 Finale, Montana De La Rosa also made good on a promise

After making the tough decision to be away from her daughter for “The Ultimate Fighter 26” tapings, Montana De La Rosa believes the rewards were worth the sacrifice.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Nicco Montano and TUF 26 Finale's other winning fighters?

See what could be next for new champion Nicco Montano and other TUF 26 Finale winners.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Max Holloway and UFC 218's other winning fighters?

See which contender Max Holloway should fight next after his featherweight title defense against Jose Aldo at UFC 218.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 189 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 189 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

TUF 26 Finale reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from the TUF 26 Finale reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>